1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Was Your Biggest Trade Pay-off?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by B52, Oct 30, 2003.

1. B52

B52 Chieftain

I recently traded spice with Berlin, which was located as far away from me on a large map as I could get. I got 2200 gold! By far the most I have ever gotten from a trade.

What are everyone else's records?

2. Terrapin

Terrapin Prince

1100g and change, so not even close to you.

3. la fayette

la fayette King

I don't remember my own highest, but I know that delivering Uranium demanded by a fat city faraway can provide more than 5000g.

4. Ace

Ace Emperor

I once got 4,171 gold for Uranium in a city that demanded it!

5. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I think I've got over 2000g (could be more) for a Uranium freight, rehomed in a good city and delivered in a good city.:)

6. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I've been getting 1500+ (one was about 1800+) each in my current GOTM for demanded Silk. There is little incentive to go for more when I'm getting a tech per turn from the trade (about two trucks), have a dozen trucks at the ready, and the bank account is just now dipping below 30K as I am reaching out to buy the world.

7. DasMan

DasMan Chieftain

Approx 1500 in current GOTM but I've only just discovered ship chains and a proper SSC. Hope to beat this in the next game.

8. rponton

rponton Warlord

I never get over 3-400 for uranium, but that's because by the time I get it, I am the dominant player, and there are al;most no foriegn cities to trade with.

9. sethos

sethos no allies

About 3000 Gold for oil. I usually send freights (using airports)from one continent to another. You'll get the biggest payoff
    - if the delivering city has superhighways
    - if the distance is great
    - if there are trade specials in both cities
    (best payoffs for cities that are near different poles and have a great diagonal distance)

10. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

One thing to realize on large pay-offs: the bonus payment is capped at 2/3 of the current research beaker cost, so to get a very large bonus you need to have an enormous tech disparity between yourself and your KeyCiv. If you keep yourself nearly equalized in techs with your KeyCiv, the beaker cost of researching Fusion (between 70th and 75th tech, depending on what you can skip) should still be less than 2000, so your maximum bonus pay-out would be limited to around 1300.

11. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I thought this was only true early on, but I'm probably wrong, and if so, I guess most of us here are exaggerating... (I know I could've been, because I just took a pay-out I had a vague memory of getting)

12. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I don't think there is much exaggeration, I do remember a time before I learned about the KeyCiv when beaker costs were in the 3-5000 range.

13. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I have yet to tech gift to the key civ, so I often find the high 2K, almost 3K beaker cost in the late game -- thus I've seen trucks netting 1.8K in payouts. Not a big deal with re-homing -- two good trucks = one advance.

14. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Very small. No more then 500.

15. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Same here as archer; however, I'm only now getting into the habit of moving trade up the priority ladder.

Frankly, dreams of opening up an early trade empire are why I usually go for the Lighthouse as one of my early wonders. I know many people decry it as useless, but if you want your triremes to get somewhere in a reasonable time (without having to coast it all the way), you need that sucker in my opinion. (Or is it that everyone else has galleons already by 1 A.D.?)