1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] What we buy can be used to predict our politics, race or education

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

What we buy can be used to predict our politics, race or education — sometimes with more than 90 percent accuracy

by Andrew Van Dam July 9 at 10:44 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ehind-cultural-divide/?utm_term=.4f12450bfa61

The interesting take on this is that after all these years we are in some ways as much different people inhabiting the same country as we ever were. But in other ways, it's worse. And the part that it's worse tracks back to Fox news.

The_J and BenitoChavez like this.
  2. Dachs

Dachs Emissary of Hell

Maybe these people can make the Google algorithms better. I still get...hilariously bad recommendations.

SS-18 ICBM likes this.
  3. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

In school in 2006 we had a guest lecturer tell us about how the California Republican Party used grocery shopping data to figure out who to send literature to and how many times they would likely have to mail them to get votes. They had one profile for everyone by the coast and another purchase profile for everyone inland. He said that the Democratic Party and labor unions were already doing this with greater sophistication.

4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yeah, in the 90's I was consulting at a market research company that was mining scanning data from grocery stores. It was amazing to see some of the correlations that were made. And of course, some of the silly ones that were results of other factors.

5. civvver

civvver Chieftain

what the heck, minorities don't own flashlights? You don't have to own a home to need a flashlight and they aren't expensive. That it just such a weird predictor.

6. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Disable emotion chip

That was a really interesting article. Who would have ever thought you could know so much based on whether someone owns a flashlight.

This is really disturbing. :thumbsdown:

7. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

So, "things that best predict a person is liberal" are just marginally better at it than coin toss?
    Color me not particularly impressed. :rolleyes:

Narz likes this.
  8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Isn't it the combination of many factors that boost confidence in a prediction? It shouldn't be surprising that any one item isn't a strong predictor, especially since most things are sold under the presumption of providing at least some utility.

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

OP: Well, duh.

Honestly, I think the entire ad industry is a house of cards, with nobody realizing that targeted ads aren't actually effectively.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Targeted ads work just fine if you don't attempt to obscure your web presence.

All of my ads on Reddit are relevant to my interests. I ate a whole lot of pizza during the playoffs because of a Dominos deal code only offered through ads. :D

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I've read that the whole thing is largely based on automated fake traffic anyway.

12. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Sure, if enough of those factors all point in one direction, it boosts confidence. But how often does that happen in practice?
    I've recently bought both novels and fishing gear, for example. :D

13. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

My only problem with targeted ads is that I usually get them for (one time purchase) products I've already purchased. ;)

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...still recognizably human...

Oh yes, that always brings a smile to my face.
    You bought a smartphone. You like smartphones? Here, look at this smartphone ! Wanna buy it ?
    Ehm, no. I just got one. Ask me again in five years.

Youtube is really annoying me right now with all the recommendations for Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, and related trash.

15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

My wife tells me that it's more effective on women since they're more likely to take more time searching before they buy. I usually find what I want and make the decision in less than an hour. Don't know if there's research that backs it up, but if my wife claims it, I have to believe it is. ;)

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Gross. Humanity doesn't really lose anything if Dominoes just goes away.

Doubtful – there is a ton of fake traffic, but it's tough to fake Google/Facebook accounts at scale, and they tend to employ smarter people than ad fraudsters, while sucking up like 90% of web ad revenue.

That seems backwards. If a product is fully and competently researched, ads cannot have an influence on the purchase decision.

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Youtube is actively dishonest trash. The idea of going with "suggestions" rather than recent uploads from user subscriptions as priority things to display has no coherent justification if the motive is to benefit the user. I don't subscribe to stuff I don't want to watch, and I don't subscribe to channels because I want to delay watching new content from them.

If I'm out of stuff I want to watch, okay put some suggestions below the sub feed. Maybe I'll find a new channel I'm interested in.

I doubt most purchase decisions are "fully" researched. Competently is a matter of opinion, but I suspect that exposing yourself to more ads gives more opportunity for ads to influence you.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's right - to take the smartphone example used earlier, if I look at dozens of different smartphones before choosing which one to buy then I'm less likely to run into the situation where I'm getting ads for a thing I already bought.

Ads you're seeing during the decision process are more likely to affect you than ads you're seeing after you already bought something, no?

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

I once had a colleague that I knew was home schooled. Based on that I was able to deduce that he:
    • Drove a pick up truck
    • Owned a shotgun
    • Watched fox news
    • Listened to conservative talk radio
    • Had a septic system and water tank (i.e. off municipal water)
    • Had satellite TV (dish network)
    • His mother did not wear (was not allowed to wear) pants
    • Did not believe in evolution
    • Believed in the young earth hypothesis and intelligent design
    • Lived next to the woods at the end of a cul-de-sac (really proud of that one)
    • Is an evangelical christian
    • Thought the end times were coming and war would break out in Israel 'soon'

He was pretty pissed and complained that I was stereotyping him. Trends stand out; it shouldn't surprise anyone that buy habits correlate with political bent.

20. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Interesting how much the debate about abortion dominated the liberal-conservative-divide even in 2016. Not only is is the strongest predictor, it is also represented a total of 4 times in the top 10:

Allow abortion for single women - 71.8%
    Allow abortion for low income women - 71.2%
    Allow abortion for married women - 68.8%
    Allow abortion for rape victims - 65.0%

It's also interesting how much sense the thing about rape victims makes. Even the average conservative is more likely to say that a rape victim should have the right to get an abortion. I wonder if that means that the child must be a product of that rape though, or whether being a rape victim just gets you the Abortion Card Black Edition. The former would make a lot more sense, but it's phrased in a way that one could almost think that it's the latter.

Don't understand the 'single woman'-part though, do conservatives not want them to have abortions, or do liberals really, really want single women to have abortions so they don't become single mothers? Is that hidden wokeness among the liberals, do they understand how bad it is for a child to grow up without a father? Or just pure distaste on the part of the conservatives?

The real interesting questions.