What whales should NOT be allowed to be eaten by humans ?

Don't eat:

• Total voters
biased or not, as long as they do not give the full details on how this data was gained I will not believe a word.

Not that I distrust them, but rather I distrust ANY attempt to get exact numbers. Whales are simply too hard to track.

Example in case: elephants. Should be easy to estimate, right?

No, they aren't. Conventional method was: drive along trails and roads, count droppings. More droppings = more elephants. And amount of droppings was used as a proxy for number of elephants
but that is only partly true: more traffic = more exited elephants = more droppings.

Also, elephants **** when they cross roads, so the density AT the road appears far higher than elsewhere - so the populations were vastly overestimated.

When someone actually went out there and marked each elephant with a paint gun, the estimates had to be 'corrected' - in some areas down to 20%!

Use a method that is used to track other animals, tag them. Just park out along their migration routes, either somehow tranq them or I have heard they are curious creatures, and as they approach the boat, tag them.

Or take captive ones and tag them before release into the wild.

To elaborate more on the "not be wasteful of them" part, you must use almost all of the animal like the Eskimos or Innuit. Doing so means that one fully grown whale will last a good number of people quite awhile. And they've been fishing them for hundreds of years.

Tank_Guy#3 said:
Use a method that is used to track other animals, tag them. Just park out along their migration routes, either somehow tranq them or I have heard they are curious creatures, and as they approach the boat, tag them.

Or take captive ones and tag them before release into the wild.[7quote]
Yup, that IS a start. Hard to do, though......

Something similar is being done for Orca - their fins are characteristic of each individual. Photographs suffice to know whether one has been counted before or not.

To elaborate more on the "not be wasteful of them" part, you must use almost all of the animal like the Eskimos or Innuit. Doing so means that one fully grown whale will last a good number of people quite awhile. And they've been fishing them for hundreds of years.
That is to me self-evident - if you kill something, then don't waste any part!

Tank_Guy#3 said:
I'm guessing you would like for people not to eat Killer Whales?
While it's probably not great to be eating killer whales either, it should be made clear that they are porpoises, not whales, and thus are not strictly germane to the poll question.

Tank_Guy#3 said:
I'm guessing you would like for people not to eat Killer Whales? I believe that if people eat them in moderation and aren't wasteful of them, then all are edible. Though I'll let other people do the eating, I'll stick with land-based meats.

Are you an amateur marine biologist or just have a liking of whales Rik?
An Orca is not a whale. It's a dolphin. Whales, dolphins and porpoises form the Cetacea-order - to be precise.

Orca's are cool.

Hmm... The poll seems to be broken- 19 voters with 17 votes for each whale:confused: :confused: :confused: Please help.

Don't eat the big, cuddly blue whales, they are the R00X0R

Whales are tasty. Me and my old man go whale huntin every summer with our trusty 12 gauge. It takes hourse of horrific torture, shootings, and beatings to kill a whale but boy is it worth it.

I think we should be allowed to eat any animals as long as it go to guidelines of prevention of exinction.

Anything endangered should not be allowed, otherwise, if it can be harvested sustainably, why not?

I say we eat all animals into extinction. If they’re too stupid to evolve and get shot or captured then they deserve to be eaten. Humans kick ass!

Edit: We should keep dangerous animals like Lions, Tigers, and Bears just incase we revive to Roman tradition of gladiatorial combat.

Top Bottom