1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What will a Trump presidency look like, concretely?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by luiz, Nov 9, 2016.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Where will the wall be built along the Rio Grande? If built on the U.S. side, you are hurting border ranchers.

2. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Concretely? Nobody freaking knows. "Donald J. Trump" is just an artifice, there is nothing to even hint at what he might actually believe, or what he might actually do once in office. I don't think Paul Ryan or Reince Priebus has any more of an idea than you or I do, as to what this presidency will look like or the policies it will champion.

I suspect that the Republicans might regret proving once and for all that extreme obstructionism apparently comes with no electoral repercussions. Expect the Democrats to filibuster until the Republicans try to take it away.

KMRblue1027 and Perfection like this.
  3. timtofly

timtofly One Day

If Mexico is paying for it, it should be on their side.

4. Snorrius

Snorrius Le libre-penseur

Trump might do like Israelis did and implement security zone twenty miles inside of Mexican territory.

5. J-man

J-man Deity

For all the people who say the climate deal is dead. I've read that because it has been ratified he can't repeal it for three years. Hopefully the dems will regain the house/senate in that time. This Trump is still bad news for the enviroment though.

6. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

I really, really, REALLY hope my own predictions of what will happen under Trump presidency are wrong. That's all I have to say.

Lexicus likes this.
  7. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Actually, Russia has something to lose in global warming--its grain producing region between Don and Volga is vulnerable to drought when temperature goes up.

8. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

It depends on who he listens to (if anyone).

9. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Didn't he have some sort of a platform that he was running on? That's the norm for candidates running for office...

I mean, it seems to me he is going to use his new position to try to make as much money for himself, his family, and his close friends and associates, as possible. That's sort of what a lot of politicians who make it big in Washington do anyway, right?

11. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Trump is the new guy from Hope, really.

One strong vibe seems to be that he has been elected as a delicious act of flipping the bird to all manner of established US politics — and thus The People Have Spoken — and now the expectation is that Prez Trump is going to have to really deliver — or The People Will (somehow) Speak Again, and remove him asap. Except it might turn out it's not as easy as all that, once the feller is in office… Or maybe it really will be that simple, since this time won't involve elections and all that jazz? Who knows?

The other strong vibe seems to be that since he is A Businessman, he will now run the US as a Business — whatever the hell that might actually mean since the US is NOT a business — but supposedly it will be just Great. (Not that I imagine ANY American would look twice at Italy as a model for what this might actually mean — but Berlusconi wasted about a decade for Italy by filling that EXACT role in Italian politics, and getting reelected on a platform of not-being-a-politician-but-a-successful-businessman-able-to-make-good-things-happen-for-Italy, which in the end was good for Berlusconi's business, less so for Italy. Funnily enough the politician who so far most resemble Berlusconi is Putin, and as it happen B and P are mates. They could probably invite The Donald for some relaxing three-way bunga-bunga too?)

12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Obamacare will go and not be replaced.
    Planned parenthood will be defunded.
    Environmental controls will be defanged
    Supply side economics will rule.

:(

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Donald J. Trump is a self-obsessed con-artist acting in the role of a capitalist-in-chief. Expect new lows in political graft and curiously expensive pet projects. The "Wall" is a defining edifice in his headcanon. Boss Tweed in modern America. Fortunately, his commitment to money and fame provides a small window to steer him towards not being an awful President, provided the entrenched bureaucracy can be persuaded against Pax Americana.

14. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I imagine a lot of public infrastructure works will be in order to satisfy his base along with lower taxes for everyone, less regulation for businesses, trade wars and so on. I'm betting on the Congress cooperating because they don't strike me as a principled lot. The election has shown that.

15. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Most of your links are either broken or are unlabeled graphs, or are graphs covering comically tiny time periods.

The consensus on the "hiatus" currently is that it is either: obscuring warming due to separate events such as a number of volcanic eruptions, that warming did indeed slow during the eighties, but overall the Earth continued to warm, or that no hiatus occurred altogether. Regardless, the consensus is that the hiatus, if there were one, is unlikely to continue in the future as manmade carbon emissions continue to rise.

The very first link you referenced talks specifically about the problems of "oceans cooling". Namely that while with some sensors ocean temperature does appear to be cooling, arctic ice nevertheless continues to melt and water levels continue to rise. These things can only be happening due to the Earth warming so the problem posed in your npr article isn't "why do we continue to argue there is global warming if the water temperatures aren't rising" so much as "all the evidence we have points to the earth warming, so what else is happening that's causing water temperatures to remain stagnant?"

Moreoever water surface temperatures are in fact rising globally, and you can clearly see this if you looked at the NASA and EPA pages on the topic:
    Spoiler :

This is also indicative of a larger issue with your conclusions. Namely that climate can be quite variable in the short term. Simply looking at one specific region, or over short periods can make it seem as though temperatures are stagnating or even falling, but when you look over longer periods, the trends are invariably upwards.

As to the Antarctic temperatures. It's a bit of an anomaly, but it should be noted that although temperatures have indeed remained stagnant or even fallen in Eastern Antarctica, in the West the story is totally different. To quote wiki:

Global warming is a thing. It's happening. Get over yourself dude.

_random_ likes this.
  16. civman110

civman110 Immortal

We were talking about the last 15 years specifically. You claimed the earth hasn't cooled in the last 15 years. I provided proof that it has, but by all means feel free to cherry pick whatever info you'd like. You all certainly did it with the polling and media coverage this election. I don't expect the left to return to sanity.

It's not a thing. It isn't happening you're being chumped just like the media and the polls just chumped you this election. But, I guess it really doesn't matter one way or the other because the left controls nothing. Absolutely nothing. Get over yourself dude. Welcome to irrelevancy.

17. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

We'll find that despite being the "anti-establishment candidate", he will mostly fall into line with Republican establishment politics. Hell, a lot of what he ran on was establishment politics. Just disguised with populist rhetoric. So, the rich will get tax cuts. The rest of us will pay for them in lower living standards, and the budget deficit will explode to heights never before contemplated. There will be cuts to welfare and to education, and the poor will fall even further behind, while the rich surge even further ahead. Crony capitalism will reign supreme in Washington to a degree that even the Reagan and Bush administrations never dreamed of. If a crony capitalist wants it, they'll get it. Including lots of regulatory relief. Trade barriers will increase. Inflation will increase. Unemployment will increase. Wages will decline. More people will lose health insurance. Most of Obamacare will become inoperative, even if not repealed. Healthcare costs will rise at an even faster rate. Even while denials of service become more common. Civil rights will be attacked and reduced. Court nominees will be people who think the courts exist to further Republican political aims. Business investment will tank. We'll get a recession. And then we'll see if the voters remain as racist in 4 years.

18. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Here is how I translate your argument against global warming into something more tangible: You are the defense attorney for a man who beats his wife five days a week. When the prosecutor tells the jury that the man beats his wife all the time, you claim that is not so and show evidence that on Tuesdays and Thursdays he doesn't; therefore the prosecutor's case should be dismissed. That kind of argument only makes you look ignorant.

19. knez

knez Prince

So, retreating to unrelated analogies and insults when you can't provide contrary evidence?

20. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Nothing to worry about then.
    All good