What will R&F mean to the vanilla game?

Kryxal

Chieftain
With all the things that seem to be coming in R&F, I find myself wondering just what will happen if I DON'T get it. Will the game just not get more updates, will some things update without new mechanisms to counter effects?

Man, it's really hard to guess what mechanics might get moved over. I'd say probably not golden ages or loyalty, but they seem intertwined with everything old.

None of the features will come to vanilla, but many of the smaller balance and quality of life changes (new notifications) and bug fixes (failed Wonder production refunds) likely will.

I believe the vanilla game will remain precisely as it is now. It will not get any more updates (short of any critical bug fixes that might emerge), and none of the new features or rebalancing that is part of Rise & Fall will be implemented.

I would expect one more patch to the base game when the expansion is released, but there will likely be no more changes. This patch could, for example, deal better with the starting position weirdness that sometimes happens. No R&F mechanics or tweaks would be included.

Two possible exceptions: If a major bug shows up, they may patch it. They also may issue a patch if they ever get cross-platform multiplayer working.

None of the features will come to vanilla, but many of the smaller balance and quality of life changes (new notifications) and bug fixes (failed Wonder production refunds) likely will.

But didn't some wonders and things go to the vanilla game when they expanded Civ 5?

I think some of the tweaks will be in the base game. We know the civ placement script will be in both.

I actually expect some changes wrt eureka's, trade routes (requiring the first building) and policy cards to be implemented for the vanilla game too.

This is the difference between DLCs and expansions. A DLC is "hey, this a neat optional thing, maybe you'll like it" whereas an expansion is "this is how we see the game moving forward". So don't really expect any more attention given to purely vanilla Civ VI.

I'd hope of they say ever get the world builder work it's not just for those with the expansion, but who knows.

I honestly expect that everything will be appended to the base game, with the only exclusivity going to:

1- New civs
2- New wonders (which will likely be included in multiplayer anyway)
3- Natural wonders

Anything else would utterly demolish online multiplayer play, which seems to have been a major focus of Civ VI from the outset.

I honestly expect that everything will be appended to the base game, with the only exclusivity going to:

1- New civs
2- New wonders (which will likely be included in multiplayer anyway)
3- Natural wonders

Anything else would utterly demolish online multiplayer play, which seems to have been a major focus of Civ VI from the outset.
This is incredibly unlikely based on history, both with previous civ games (which simply said you can't use anything everyone playing doesn't own) and with vi (which says you can use the DLC if the host has it, but the civs are unavailable to those who don't own them). I expect Rise and Fall will function much like any other DLC with regard to multiplayer. With regards to single player, you have to own it to use any of it (non-patch related), and I would be shocked if that changed.

Last edited:
This incredibly unlikely based on history, both with previous civ games (which simply said you can't use anything everyone playing doesn't own) and with vi (which says you can use the DLC if the host has it, but the civs are unavailable to those who don't own them). I expect Rise and Fall will function much like any other DLC with regard to multiplayer. With regards to single player, you have to own it to use any of it (non-patch related), and I would be shocked if that changed.

In that case, I will be wrong, but my expectation does not change.

Considering that currently in Civ VI multiplayer anyone is capable of building wonders tied to expansion packs, whether those packs are owned or not, I don't see why they would change things simply because the expansion is somewhat larger. True, they can't be built in single player, but in multiplayer they're fair game whether any of the involved parties owns the packs or not. This has been consistently true for every single pack released for 6 thus far.

Given the large sweeping changes being added to the game, there is literally no way for inter-connectivity in multiplayer between those with R&F and those without if systems such as Loyalty, Governors, Ages, etc are not added. That the multiplayer currently allows for players to not even have the same modded material or DLC packs in order to play together, I find it exceedingly unlikely that these will be used to create a monumental rift between those with and those without. It just doesn't fit the current model for the game.

I think the combat system upgraded (10hp to 100hp) and a few other small things and AI rebalances.
It did not. I waited long for until I buyer G&K that changed that (or was it BNW?) and played on with 10HP. And even if you had both expansions and started one of the vanilla scenarios, combat was with 10HP in them.

I guess the AI for vanilla will update, starting position algorithms as well. But I guess that's it.

In that case, I will be wrong, but my expectation does not change.

Considering that currently in Civ VI multiplayer anyone is capable of building wonders tied to expansion packs, whether those packs are owned or not, I don't see why they would change things simply because the expansion is somewhat larger. True, they can't be built in single player, but in multiplayer they're fair game whether any of the involved parties owns the packs or not. This has been consistently true for every single pack released for 6 thus far.

Given the large sweeping changes being added to the game, there is literally no way for inter-connectivity in multiplayer between those with R&F and those without if systems such as Loyalty, Governors, Ages, etc are not added. That the multiplayer currently allows for players to not even have the same modded material or DLC packs in order to play together, I find it exceedingly unlikely that these will be used to create a monumental rift between those with and those without. It just doesn't fit the current model for the game.
Maybe, but I imagine that most people who play multiplayer will get the expansion.

I think some of the tweaks will be in the base game. We know the civ placement script will be in both.

I actually expect some changes wrt eureka's, trade routes (requiring the first building) and policy cards to be implemented for the vanilla game too.

I agree with most, but not all of these 3 quotes. Here is what i expect to be in vanilla:
  • many of the smaller balance and quality of life changes (new notifications)
  • bug fixes (failed Wonder production refunds)
  • some of the tweaks
  • We know think the civ placement script will be in both
  • changes wrt eureka's (40%)
  • changes wrt trade routes (requiring the first building)
  • AI updates
However:
  • None of the new Civs will come to vanilla
  • None of the features (Ages, Loyalty, Emergencies, Alliances) will come to vanilla

I'm not so sure about Policy Card changes however

Killing a Giant Death Robot with 10 warriors was fun...
I have to admit- that sounds like either a really amazing movie, or an incredibly terrible one.

Top Bottom