What will your first game look like?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DWilson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

In particular, what combo of victory condition and difficulty will you attempt on your first play through?

I plan to try a deity domination game (duel sized, pangaea, latest era possible if bomber units exist) so I can cheese my way to one of the fastest deity victories.

After that, my first real game will be to play as Rome on Prince or one lower in pursuit of a domination victory on a standard sized map.

2. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

Despite being a Deity Civ5 player, I'll be starting on Settler (or lowest difficulty), and playing a peaceful playthrough on a standard Pangea setup. This way, I can fully grasp the new concepts and playstyle without having to actually worry about winning/staying competitive.

3. Gintoki89

Gintoki89 Warlord

Plan on starting on the lowest difficulty and working my way up the ranks until I probably settle on Prince for a while.

I'll probably play a basic Civ that sounds interesting but isn't a fav first, save the ones I'm really interested in till the 2nd or 3rd game.

Similarly, I'll probably aim for a Science or Domination victory in the first couple of games before really digging into the Religion or Cultural victories that I'm really interested in.

Map settings will probably be some kind of generic ones.

4. Slayan

Slayan Warlord

I plan on my first game to be a mess with me yelling at myself for being an idiot

5. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Either learning the mechanics of the game playing as Kongo, using the generalized benefits and ignoring Religion until it comes to me, or else trying out France and hopefully using my spy network and Cassus Belli to pit my neighbors against each other.

6. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Civilization: Spain
    Difficulty: Prince
    Map: Pangea
    Size: Huge
    Speed: Marathon
    Plan A: Religious Victory
    Plan B: Science Victory

I feel like the game is similar enough to Civ 5 that Prince difficulty won't be too overwhelming. Playing on a huge map at marathon speed is just a personal tradition of mine, as it gives the first game a sort of epic feel. The world is big and slow, just like real life. Pangea is just because I like to meet all my neighbors and get the complicated diplomatic alliances going early.

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The first game is likely to be America (unless one of unrevealed civs will look "default" enough to me or the America will be changed too much by the release), the rest is standard and difficulty Prince. Just to test the game.

I have a feeling what I'll be focused on religion too much, if that will be the case, the next civ will be Kongo, but the settings will depend on the results of the first game.

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

My first game will be on a LAN with a random Civ.
    I'll see how it goes from there :)

9. criZp

criZp Emperor

Playing as germany (or norway, not 100% sure yet) with all settings on standard, to get the feeling of how the "completely unmodified game" is. Difficulty at normal or perhaps one below, so that I can hopefully sit back and just take in all the new stuff.

10. Ikael

Ikael King

Seeing how well thought every civ is, I might start my very first random civ game ever!

Although on a second thought, I will probably try to stick to my tired and true tall cultural gameplay style with the aid of Egypt or Greece.

11. Hutchy27

Hutchy27 Chieftain

My current plan for my first game of Civilization VI is to play as England, on a huge map size to accommodate all or the majority of civilizations with a small continent map type or its Civilization VI's equivalent. Most likely on standard speed and default difficulty (the one with no real bonuses to either side) setting.

I will also most likely follow Victoria's agenda and aim to settle on every continent.

12. Paramecium

Paramecium Prince

First game:
    Map Size: Standard
    Map Type: Continents
    Difficulty: Prince (or the one where noone has any boni/mali)
    Game Speed: Standard

Victory Type: I think that I will go old fashioned Science Victory, it's the most constant Victory Type and in that way I will properly see all the technologies available. Depending on playthrough it might switch to Domination or maybe even Culture Victory. I think I will properly ignore religion in the first game if Im not finding any nearby Natural Wonders ...

Play Style/Civ: Cant tell you yet, still couldnt decide for a special Civ but I think I will take one with the most general playstyle. I might go Brazil because until so far it seems the most solid Science Civ which can be very potent in Science/Culture/Faith/Commerce, quite in general. And GP helps to tech later in game when Eurekas might be harder to get ...

Or it might be Japan or Egypt. First focus a lot one District Placement and can get strong in every part during the game. And later becoming a monster in production, both good for Science and Domination Victory.
    Egypt is quite restricted to rivers but rivers the new to go spots in city placement and it offers quite a lot of boni for a more general gameplay, but im not sure yet if I would focus on early aggression.

Depending on the map and AIs in the game, I will more focus on early expansion/ city building/ teching/ aggression, very hard to tell. If I start with Brazil on a small jungle, I might even reroll ... ;)
    The game setting are picked because I think those are the most balanced ones, each civ will have its advantages and disadvantages ...

13. ahtiandr

ahtiandr Chieftain

First game:
    Civilization: Rome
    Game Speed: Standard
    Era lock to classical age (if it is possible. At least I have heard that it will be possible by default.)

I will be building my Roman empire =)

14. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

This! :lol:

seriously though:

Civilization: random
    Opponents: random
    Difficulty: one below Prince to get a hang of things...
    Map: Continents
    Size: standard
    Speed: standard
    Plan A: take in as much as I can (maybe even turning on those advisors for more than I'd need them) and take my time
    Plan B: Victory type depends on Civ and Map

Usually I prefer epic and huge and random maps but for the first round I'll take it easy and try to avoid balance or gamespeed-issues...

15. spfun

spfun King

Standard Pangaea map/settings as Brazil or Kongo going for a science or culture victory. Emperor difficulty. Next game similar settings but the nation/victory i didn't pick in the first game, probably on Immortal(assuming I won the first game) Third game As India going for a religion victory on Emperor. Fourth/Fifth game I will play continents/island maps as continent/island based civs.

By this time I would have figured out a whole bunch of balance issues and exploit the AI in a standard settings deity game.

16. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

I think I will try King difficulty first on some random map type and size and see what happens! I think AIs deserve their bonus on first game because they have no skill :p lol
    It's ok if I lose! I hope the game shows me its potential in diversity, depth and difficulty! wow, very 3D!

17. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Civ: India
    Difficulty: Emperor

I will focus on Faith and culture going for a religious victory. I just hope that the cultural tree will be as worthwhile as the science one.

18. Syrok

Syrok Chieftain

Civilization: China/Brazil/a scientific civ not yet reveled
    Map: Continents
    Size: Standard

I will focus on a scientific victory, just to explore nearby all technologies of the game.

19. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

:lol::lol: That's not my PLAN--but it's quite likely to happen.

I PLAN to spend the remaining month of waiting deciding what my first game plan will be.

20. Abraxis

Abraxis

I'll play on the easiest difficulty, Japan continents with standard settings, a big enough map for all civs. I'll probably go for a culture or science victory, whichever I fall into while just building up as strong a civ as possible.

The reason for easiest difficulty is really just to get the achievement for it. I'd probably never start under Emperor otherwise, but I know the first few games I'll be too distracted digging into everything to really care about competition, so might as well get those easy wins out of the way, as I'll never bring myself to do it later.

I've never really cared about achievements before, I have 2000 hours on Civ5 and only 11% of the achievements. I wonder if I am missing out since it seems like a good way to keep giving yourself goals to really explore everything in a game, I think I'd like to try and take them seriously for once.