1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What wonders you would like to see in a third expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Xandinho, Jul 5, 2013.

?

What wonders you would like to see in a third expansion?

1. Belém Tower - Portugal

17 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Burj Al Arab - United Arab Emirates

14 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Burj Khalifa - United Arab Emirates

40 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Empire State Building - USA

55 vote(s)
    43.7%
  5. Great Mosque of Samarra - Iraq

21 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Gyeongbokgung - South Korea

17 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. Hassan Tower - Morocco

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Hawa Mahal - India

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Hollywood - USA

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. Leshan Giant Buddha - China

30 vote(s)
    23.8%
  11. Mount Rushmore - USA

46 vote(s)
    36.5%
  12. Nazca Line - Peru

40 vote(s)
    31.7%
  13. Nordic Museum - Sweden

13 vote(s)
    10.3%
  14. Palace of Versailles – France

62 vote(s)
    49.2%
  15. Royal Liver Building - England

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  16. Sankoré Madrasah - Mali

18 vote(s)
    14.3%
  17. Shwedagon Paya - Myanmar

29 vote(s)
    23.0%
  18. Sphinx - Egypt

51 vote(s)
    40.5%
  19. St. Peter's Basilica - Vatican

49 vote(s)
    38.9%
  20. Temple of Solomon - Israel

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  21. Pyramid of the Sun - Mexico

37 vote(s)
    29.4%
  22. The Buddhas of Bamiyan - Afghanistan

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  23. Three Gorges Dam - China

53 vote(s)
    42.1%
  24. Westminster Abbey - England

24 vote(s)
    19.0%
  25. Others

39 vote(s)
    31.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

2. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Among others I voted for the Leshan Buddha mainly because China needs a wonder to bridge the time gap between the Terracotta Army / GW and the Porcelain Tower. Something from the T'ang period would be great.

Missing from the list, but perhaps worth inclusion is the Arsenale at Venice and the Great Cothon at Carthage.

Good National Wonders might be 'The Admiralty' (or something) to give a global movement and/or repair bonus to all warships and transports once every city has a harbour. 'The Royal Dockyard' could give a bonus promotion to ships constructed in that city once every coastal city had a seaport.

3. Mudrac

Mudrac Orc Warchief

4. Wojciech Rodzik

Wojciech Rodzik Chieftain

Wawel castle\palace

"Counts as castle, gives nothing":)

5. jlim201

jlim201 King

Make the Hermitage, Colosseum and Circus Maximus World Wonders.

6. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Not to mention call Oxford University something else. Anything else.

7. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

I think that all of those (except maybe the Colosseum) work better as national wonders. The Hermitage is worthy of being a world wonder, but we would have too many museum wonders if it was included. Maybe the entire Winter Palace could work as a wonder with art slots, but not just the Hermitage. Oxford isn't great enough to be a wonder really, and I'd rather have the Hippodrome than the Circus Maximus. They could replace coliseums with arenas and have a Colosseum wonder though.

8. jlim201

jlim201 King

Sphinx- (Egypt) +2 culture for every flood plain/marsh tile.

Winter Palace (Russia) +2 culture, +5% culture, Theming Bonus doubled in museums. Industrial

The Motherland Calls- (Russia) +3 faith, +3 culture, +3 Tourism. Industrial

Panama Canal- (CS) No movement penalty for all units on rivers. +2 gold per sea trade route. +1 movement when embarked. Recieve a free cargo ship. Modern

St. Peter's Basilica- +10% faith, (CS) May only be built in a Holy City. Medieval

Cologne Cathedral- (Germany) +5 faith, +3 Production. Provides a free Cathedral in the city it was built.

Washington Monument (America)- +4 culture, One GWOW slot. All Writers, Artists and Musicians can start Golden Ages. Industrial

Large Hadron Collider- Collaborative Wonder- 1st Place- 1 free Great Scientist, a one time tech boost, and Great Person Tile improvements now provide +2 Science. 1000 Production- +5% Science. 500 Production- One Golden Age.

Pyramid of the Sun (Maya) - +2 Faith, +2 Culture, +2 Science. 1 Great Engineer Point. Ancient

Byrsa (Carthage)- +2 culture, all cities receive free walls. +150 HP (Ancient)

Koutoubia Mosque (Morocco)- +5 faith, provides two missionaries and one Inquisitor. May only be built in cities following a Religion. Provides a Free Mosque. (Medieval)

Schonbrunn Palace- (Austria) - +5 culture, 2 slots for Great Works of Music. Provides a free GWAM. (Industrial)

Wieliczka Salt Mine- (Poland) - +10% production, +4 Happiness. Gain an extra Engineer Slot.

St Mark's Basilica- (Venice) +10 culture. Gain two Great Works of Art slots. Theming is same era different Civ. (Medieval)

Colosseum- +3 food, +2 happiness. 50% chance to lose a citizen in the city it was built in. (Previous idea was too good for its time in the game.)

Civs without wonders, some ancient ones aren't well documented so I cant find them.
    (I may be wrong)

Assyria
    Celts (Stonehenge??)
    Denmark/Vikings
    Dutch
    Ethiopia
    Huns
    Iroquois
    Korea
    Mongols
    Persia
    Polynesia
    Shoshone
    Sweden
    Zulu

9. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

I like most of your ideas, but your Colosseum would totally obsolete the Hanging Garden. Instead of providing both food and happiness, how about something like

Colosseum: +3:c5happy: and +:c5happy: for each city in the empire that's producing at least 4:c5food:.

A few other things, Koutoubia Mosque is a little too similar to Borobodur, and it feels like the Motherland Calls should be in a different era. Also, small question, would the Winter Palace have great work slots? I like the majority of your designs though. I think the Washington Monument is my favorite.

10. HanNorwood

HanNorwood .exe

I like the idea of Meenakshi as a Buddhist wonder.

11. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Pretty much anything on this list, or Part II (link at the bottom of the page).
    Some ideas for effects:
    Luxor Hotel: All buildings and wonders with at least two work or artifact slots are themeable with a minimum theming bonus of +1. All theming requirements for themeable buildings and wonders ignored, except for number of slots filled.
    Bank Note: +50% gold in all cities of civilization.
    Habitat 67: +2 population in all cities of the civilization in which it is built (like civ4's hanging gardens, but stronger)

12. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

If you're looking Industrial Wonders, I nominate trans-continental railroads.

It doesn't have to be based on the American one. The Trans-Canadian and Trans-Siberian railroads were awesome Engineering accomplishments.

If you want an interesting benefit besides GE points, how about "Equalizes food distribution among all of the cities of your empire." ?

Another railroad of note was the White Pass and Yukon Route, considered an engineering marvel on a par with the Panama Canal.

13. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

The problem i see with transcontinental railroads is that, while they're wonderful, it's tough to rationalize something built in a single city that's called "transcontinental" anything. i could see some kind of bonus for building a railroad that is transcontinental, but it'd be weird to have it as a wonder in the game. That being said, there is precedence in civilization games for things like this that don't make any sense, like the Darwin's Voyage wonder from civ1, so it's possible they could still do it.

Edit: or the great wall. Pretty sure that's been in all of the games and it still makes no sense being built in one city. So, I guess a "Transcontinental Railroad" wouldn't be too weird.

14. chuckh89

chuckh89 Prince

Panama Canal

It is so nice to find a place to Settle a City that connects 2 waterways. What if you had a special Wonder that would give you the ability to use your workers to expand on connecting those waterways.

It wouldn't be too great of an advantage that would ruin the game because your ships would have to pass through single file, and if an enemy spotted this situation he could jump on the single ships passing through with his larger fleet.

You could start the Tech somewhere on the back end of Industrial (3 tile expansion), then increase one tile every Era following. Maybe make it take twice as long to build as a railroad, and make it obvious what the worker was building so a enemy could plot to stop the advantage you would receive.

Maybe,..make it so everyone could build it, but you would have to have a special requirement....Like, a Harbor in every Coastal City (Inland - Connecting Lakes no requirement), And you could only build a Canal if your city was next to the Coast or a Lake.

Also,

North Pole
    It could give you the ability to ignore "Iced over waterways", or give your work boats the ability to become "Ice breakers". Or maybe it could be a unit all it's own (Ice Breaker).

Sorry, to go outside the box. But it would add so much to the game if your Navy wasn't land locked, and add a different element if you feel the map is restricting your game.

15. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Bullitt Center: something to do with environmentalism

16. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Well, perhaps it should be a "project", like the Apollo Program or Manhattan Project.
    Now that you draw the comparison, The Great Wall has a lot in common with the railroad, because they both transcend the empire.

Actually building a transcontinental railroad might be a programming problem, to prevent a cheesy Nicaraguan Transcontinental RR, for example.

17. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Yeah. A program might work.

18. andreafin

andreafin Prince

High Court/ Supreme Court of Appeal? not sure what bonuses it delivers but its the highest embodiment of justice, so should affect happiness. i dont see it as giving a free courthouse since those are built in conquered cities. maybe it should be tied into freedom since i doubt order or autocracy would allow an independent judiciary who might overturn their laws and prevent them putting dissidents in jail. so perhaps it can also add pressure on other ideologies.

freedom tenet : Human Rights, enables building of the Supreme Court wonder, and independent judiciary.
    happiness bonus (i have no idea how much tho)

tenet increases unhappiness in order and autocratic regimes.
    might increase costs to build (health and safety rules, litigation protection)

19. daft

daft The fargone

Some of the wonders I would like to see added are:
    The Sphinx-Egypt
    The Labyrinth-Egypt or Crete(Minoans). The now lost Egyptian Labyrinth was said by Herodotus to have been even more impressive than the Pyramids.
    Temple(s) of Abu Simbel -either Egypt or Nubia
    Olympic games in Olympia-Greece
    Columbus's Expedition-Spain
    Mont St. Michel - France
    Chopin's concert Hall- Poland
    Marco Polo's Embassy-Venice- similar to civ2 would establish embassies with all cultures already met
    Tower of London-Britain
    Disneyland, Hollywood- US

This was originally posted by me in a different thread, on March31, 2014.
    Ps. Why isn't Mt. Rushmore included in Civ5, I've got no clue.