What would be in your Survival Kit (two scenerios)

Narz

keeping it real
Ok. Scenerio #1 you're already in. It's everyday urban/suburban/rural life in your city or town or school. Only catch (positive catch) is that you have $5,000 to buy whatever modern survival items you like. Survival does not have to include merely the bare necessitys but also your favorite music, speakers, a laptop, an egyptian cotton towel, a poster of Shakira, a coffee table in the shape of a yin-yang, whatever. What would you like to own for life (as in for the long haul) to increase your quality of life. Note : I know you want to invest the money for your retirement but for the sake of the scenerio just imagine you had to spend it now.

Scenerio #2 is quite different. Scenerio #2 starts with a major disaster and/or catastrophe that may last as little as one month or as long as indefinitely. The electricity, water supply, cell towers and radio towers (it's hypothetical) are all down. The good news for you is that your physic friends told you about the disaster pending and you were prepared. In this situation you also have $5,000 (to spend beforehand).

In both scenerios lets assume you have your own room and/or small apartment in which to stoy your home entertainment center and/or water barrels.

*has a flashback*

SUBMACHINE GUN!!!!

Hmmm #1 is no funner... i probably buy what im doing now, almost nothing except food, water, computers, cameras and some luxury items.

As for #2 - stockpile canned food, basic survival/camping kits, a large rambo style knife, books for agricultures, some seeds, fishing net/rod, battries, transitor radio, some basic medical supplies.

Scenario #1
A new state of the art computer, a wide screen TV, a couple game consoles, and maybe something for the GF.

Scenario #2
Like Cleric said, major firepower. (But with additional reserve ammo.) In the ensuing chaos that will basically lead to possession of everything else you'll need.

Why bother? If you have an assault rifle you can always just steal your neighbor's vehicle. :D (Scenario #2 only of course)

Scenario 1: Probably a few hundred plants, maybe herbs and spices.

Scenario 2: AK-47, gas and food.

Scenario 1: Bare necessities, laptop, chips & drink, nice stereo, TV, DVD player, some good DVDs, and I dunno what else really....

Scenario 2: V8 Interceptor, shotgun (with additional shells), and some gas:cool:.

Scenario 2: A case of water purification tablets, canned food, rat traps (I'll have to eat after the canned food runs out), an assortment of knives, nails, and a flint and a bale or two of cotton.

edit: oh, and a good axe wouldnt hurt either.

Scenario #1: a new bedroom set, and a widescreen TV for the living room.

Scenario #2: a gasoline-powered generator, filled fuel tanks for it, a small gas-powered chainsaw, a few cases of MREs, water purification system, reserve gas tank and four full-sized spare tires for my SUV. I've already got guns and ammunition, no problems there. The crux of it is either being able to hang tight in my own house for as long as necessary, or being able to bug out and either get to a friend/relative's place outside the disaster zone or get up in the boonies and hang tight.

Dann said:
Why bother? If you have an assault rifle you can always just steal your neighbor's vehicle. :D (Scenario #2 only of course)

Unless I'm your neighbor. ;)

If it was a permanent or indefinitely lasting situation, my strategy would be to go low tech. After a year or two, high tech equipment wouldnt be of much use.

Hence the rat traps?!? I agree in principle, but seriously, man, you could get even a small calibre rifle and at least be able to eat something halfway decent. Heck, at least squirrels are cute-looking rats. ;)

Uh, scenario 1 would be pretty mundane stuff. Scenario 2, I'd want a lot more ammo, and potentially a reloading kit and/or maybe a bow and arrows if I thought it'd be indefinite. Possibly a bigger hunting rifle too, although I could easily commandeer that afterwards in my area. Gas for my car and a small generator. A good knife or two, a skinning knife, lighters or flint, an axe, a hatchet, and a splitting maul. Lots of clean water and some purification means, cases of MRE's, and a good pair of binoculars maybe (to be able to see Dann and Cleric coming ;) ). I'd probably snag a four-wheeler from my parents' place or elsewhere for more efficient travel, assuming I won't be able to get gas forever (or maybe a bike if I were scouting long-distance). Boring stuff, like flashlights, batteries, a radio, fishing rod and lures, a tent, rope, rappelling (/abseiling) carribiners, etc. And a deck of cards, in the off chance I do stumble onto another survivor.

Scenario 1: computer, bicycle, clothing and a huge tv

Scenario 2: Water barrel, gun, canned food, and a lifetime supply of asthma medication. Oh, and extra pairs of glasses.

A rifle would be great, but what happens when the ammo finally runs out? A slingshot might be better. If I had enough time to learn not only how to use a bow and arrow, but also how to make bows and arrows, that would be even better than a slingshot. Id rather eat squirrels than rats for sure, but Im pretty sure rats would be by far the most plentiful small mammals around for a considerable time after the disaster. Cats also for awhile. I think I could become a pretty good rat/cat catcher after awhile. Maybe learn how to make items with the fur, like fur lined boots, caps, gloves etc, for trading. See I got it all figured out:mischief:

Right on - that's why you need the skinning knife. I'm with you on running out of ammo, but if you're talking a hunting rifle, even a relatively modest number of rounds should last you a long, long time, if you're not a completely horrible shot (go for larger animals, and cure the meat by smoking or brine, or freezing in winter). I could get (cartridgeless) muzzle-loaders if I thought it'd help, but if I have to get to metal casting for more bullets, I may be in trouble anyway (such an expensive tech, but the forges are nice). Arrows, somewhat similar, although unfortunately I don't know that I could make wooden arrows that would work decently with any modern bow, so it'd be back to the stone age once they were out. Then I'd have to become a trapper too, and some glorious day perhaps we could meet up and trade seed strains and some venison jerky for a lovely ratskin cap or two. :D

Sparta, you me, and all the other 'Mountain Men' would rendezvous once a year for trading and swapping tall tales around the campfire about the giant rats that got away:lol:

Mathilda said:
#2 - ticket to somewhere a lot warmer.
:thumbsup: Life is simpler where it's warmer.

2: Razorwire, solar cells, spare parts for my bike and some books on agriculture along with seeds. My home shall be my castle.

Top Bottom