What would be the best civ for this playstyle?

pandaBee

Chieftain
Hello civ fanatics i'm new to the forums and also new to civ V G+K. i've been playing for about 2-3 weeks now and i've beaten everything up to emperor. The most difficult thing for me is actually deciding which civilization to play.

the way i usually go about doing things i can usually stomp the ai, but at immortal/deity i get crushed over and over so i am trying to find out how to make the most out of what i am trying to do.

generally i enjoy liberty openers. i like to plant down many cities, 4-6 is usually a good number for me, and i try to annex/plant more down if possible, however this is usually difficult due to the ai getting in my way, as they should.

as for victory conditions i am a fan of domination and science. i don't like cultural/diplomacy much i personally find science to be the most effective as it not only boosts your economy but your military as well. which helps compliment my aggressive playstyle

so early on i will try to expand as much as i can and then i lay low trying to defend what cities i did plant down while trying to get ahead in science. and then using that advantage to conquer my neighbors when possible.

i've tried a lot of the civs, but none of them really "clicked" for me. i was wondering if you guys could suggest a few and maybe even general guidelines to their potential strategies. and just fyi, i don't have access to babylon, but most everything else is a-okay.

I'd say that Rome is a good fit for your playstyle.
The Legion/Ballista is good for classic era wars and the glory of Rome makes building in many cities easier.
I would also suggest for a Pantheon Messenger of the Gods (+2 Science for every city connected to capital). You want to connect all your cities to capital anyway and this gives a good science bonus to that that goes up with each city. If you like a lot of cities I can't see any better pantheon.

Tradition seems to fit more than Liberty for imm-deity. I suggest to pick a strong civ like Ethiopia-Maya-China-Huns-Arabia etc and try to balance production, gold and growth. More you gonna play more you will see what is important or not.

I'd say that Rome is a good fit for your playstyle.
The Legion/Ballista is good for classic era wars and the glory of Rome makes building in many cities easier.
I would also suggest for a Pantheon Messenger of the Gods (+2 Science for every city connected to capital). You want to connect all your cities to capital anyway and this gives a good science bonus to that that goes up with each city. If you like a lot of cities I can't see any better pantheon.

just curious what difficulty do you play on?

perhaps you could try maya, they are quite a good choice if you are expanding a bunch, plus the cheaper atlatists are awesome, you won't need to tech to archery as quickly to defend.

Tradition seems to fit more than Liberty for imm-deity. I suggest to pick a strong civ like Ethiopia-Maya-China-Huns-Arabia etc and try to balance production, gold and growth. More you gonna play more you will see what is important or not.

I think you're right about that one. no matter how hard i try i just can't expand fast enough. the ai are too aggressive and spread too quickly compared to the other difficulties. by any chance is there a way to make liberty work in imm-deity?

by any chance is there a way to make liberty work in imm-deity?

Yeah but i never worked hard on using Liberty at this level so i don't want to put false infos here. In fact i played only a few games(deity) in the beginning(GnK release) but that's all. You should ask more clever players.

I really like free stuff from Tradition and growth because happiness is more abundant.

China could work. the paper-maker is great for a mix of money and science and can be good for preventing bankruptcy If you want to build an early military. With the GG bonus you can be aggressive and can make use of science too.

Not sure about this. Liberty still works just fine on the higher levels, and suits your wider style better than Tradition. Of the first 3 SP's, Honour opening is the only one I have real issues with, I like it better as a second tree.

So, you like: Going wide (early) and fighting, ending up with domination or science.

1) Maya for a wide science victory. There must be loads of threads/LP's on this by now. MadDjinns Maya LP seems to be popular. Strong civ.
2) France is good for wide with a per city UA, and with a double UU is agressive.
3) Spain is also expansive and agressive, with a double UU and a tile bonus UA.
4) Rome would be a great fit, per city UA, double UU.
5) America is a domination civ with a focus on agressive expansion. Per city UA and double UU.
6) Arabia have bonuses for going wide and a killer UU. Strong civ.
7) Russia have a tile based production/strategic resources UA, and a decent UU.
8) China. Out and out domination, but a good and early UB make wide early very possible. Strong civ.

There are others that can do wide and war (possibly +science), but are a little unique (I'm thinking Persia, Incas, Babylon, Byzantium, Celts etc.), so to start off I'd recommend any of the above.

Top Bottom