1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Would Gandhi Do? - AI Rebalancing Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Sneaks, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

What Would Gandhi Do?
    An attempt to normalize AI behavior into something a little more sane.

Version 6- Stable located in the CivFanatics Database
    Version 5 - Unstable on Mod Browser (search WWGD)

What the mod does:
    Spoiler :

v.0.1
    -Sharply decreases AI anger at border expansion, tile purchasing, and settling.
    -Increases likelihood of AI cherrypicking policies from several trees to better fit its goals
    -Increases AI likelihood of getting Freedom tree if going for Culture wins and Rationalism if going for Spaceship wins
    -AI will now more heavily weigh UN, Culture, and Spaceship victories
    -AI will move units less randomly and bring larger forces when attacking cities
    -AI more likely to bribe CSes when pursuing Diplo wins
    -Declarations of Friendship mean more to the AI
    -AI pursuing Culture victories will not hard cap at 4 cities (which was getting them slaughtered)
    -AI no longer given happiness handicaps. Instead, given faster construction, and one extra warrior on Deity. The unhappiness bonus was allowing the AI to play by an entirely different ruleset, rather than just getting a head start

v.0.2
    -Allows player to end Declarations of Friendship
    -Lowered negative effects of being denounced by a friend significantly (Should lower chain denounces).
    -Lowered negative effects of being at war with a friend significantly (Should lower chain denounces).
    -Slightly decreased threshold to become friends/remain friends.
    -Decreased likelihood of DoW against CS influence competitors slightly.
    -AI less likely to ignore CSes while at war.
    -AI less likely to ask for peace with only minor damage.
    -Threat lowered for attacking/conquering CSes. (An attempt to counter wars with CS allies leading to world hate).
    -Severly decreased victory disputes to only occur when the AI is positive on victory type AND several turns have passed.
    -Severly decreased land disputes to only occur when several turns have passed and expansion is aggressive. (Less likely to covet)
    -Diplomacy penalties from land disputes halved. (They covet our lands will hurt only half as bad.)
    -Will display more information about leader mood in regards to land/victory/wonder/minorciv disputes and warmonger threat. (Will not show if AI deceptive)

v.0.3
    -Fixes compatibility issue with robk's InfoAddict
    -Fixes compatibility issue with alpaca's PlayWithMe
    In both cases, this mod should load after these to work properly, as this mod incorporates their code, but theirs do not incorporate mine.

v.0.4
    -Makes AI slightly more aggressive and competitive than previous versions
    -Fixes part of an error in ending Declarations of Friendship where you needed to ask for a friendship a second time.

v.0.5
    -Eliminates the final bits of AI happiness bonuses WITHOUT affecting player bonuses at the various handicap levels (combared to AI Equalizer, which vastly alters human handicaps)
    -Adds extra starting units at Immortal and Deity levels for the AI to better prevent worker theft

v.0.6
    -Compatibility with March 2011 patch.

I need playtesters to try out the mod and note any changes in AI behavior than normal. Keep special track of DoFs, when AIs go Hostile, and their armies when attacking.

Special thanks go to Kael and Thal for their FAQs and alpaca for his help.
    Thank you especially to my playtesters!

2. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Known Issues:

AI bonuses may still need tweaking. Your feedback will help this cause!

Compatibility:

This mod alters the following files:
    DiscussionDialog.lua
    InfoTooltipInclude.lua

All mods editing these files will have small visual errors with this one. PlayWithMe and InfoAddict, however, will work normally as long as this mod is loaded after those.

Recommended Mods:
    Game Rebalancing:
    PlayWithMe by alpaca - excellent rebalancing mod with lots of fun changes
    Balance - Combined Mods by Thalassicus - another great rebalancing mod

UI:
    Improved Notifications by alpaca - Adds more notifications about city growth and border expansion
    Resource Panel by ArgentumStudios - Adds a great resource viewer in the upper left corner
    InfoAddict by robk - A must have for those who love to see as much data as possible
    Attila's Mods by Attila - Adds a lot of information to the top panel. Has compatibility issues with some of the other mods listed here.
    CivWillard by Onni - Spectacular little buttons to help manage your cities, citystates, and diplomacy

3. Txurce

Txurce Deity

This sounds potentially great, obviously, and I'd be happy to test it starting tomorrow. Three questions:

Didn't the patch already address the AI focusing more heavily on Diplo (including bribing) and Space victories?

How did you reduce the AI happiness buffs, and how do they scale for the different difficulty levels?

And where is ModHub? Could you provide a link?

4. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Patch did, but in a balance I did not really like. It gave space victories far more preference than culture or diplo.

On difficulties of King through Deity, the AI gets a reduction in global unhappiness, all the way up to a 40% unhappiness deduction at the highest level. This more or less removed the happiness mechanic from play for AI decisions at about Emperor and above.

By modhub, I was referring to the in game mod browser. It is listed under WWGD if you do a simple search.

5. Txurce

Txurce Deity

That's interesting - in my few games post-patch, I've noticed the diplo approach more... maybe because it would come up earlier. No hint of cultural victories.

I just downloaded it and am set for tomorrow. Given the mod's title, did you also customize the different civs to better emulate your impression of their leader?

6. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

Fantastic idea, all the changes look great, hope they run well!Another change which I think would help would be to decrease the AI's warmonger hate in cases where you were asked to declare war or declare war on one of their enemies'/ targets. Also to slightly decrease the hate you get from wiping out civs entirely. It's quite ridiculous atm that if an AI asks you to attack an enemy and you manage to qipe that enemy out, that very same AI now hates you!

7. Isikien

Isikien WHOA

Suggestion:

How about giving certain AI's reluctance to ally with a third party if it already has an ally.

This would create divisions etc. I have seen in a lot of my games a lot of players allying en-masse, creating a massive peaceblock

Will download later, once I've done christmas preperations. You can expect a Mod a la carte on this if you update it a hefty amount.

8. Geppenguin

Geppenguin Chieftain

How about reducing the effect of having a friend backstab you? It often leads to chain reactions of denunciation. Also, if possible include a time limit for the offence that an AI player takes form your actions e.g after 50 turns after your last peace treaty they forgot you declared war on them or after 100 turns they forget your past warmongering.
    Make denunciations and DoF cancellable? So if you cease denouncing Songhai then their friend America won't continue to take offence (i.e. the negative effect the past denunciation had on your relationship is removed)
    Also set a time limit for an AI taking offence over your alliance with a city state (after they are below at 60 influence with it for example)
    If you could add those in, it would be great XD

9. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

This sounds great - do the modified aspects of diplomacy help reduce the rampant denunciations? Is there a way to change the threshhold for denunciations?

I'll give this a try when I get home and hopefully get you some feedback later.

10. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

The AI currently will swap to Diplo more towards endgame, but given many of the other values Diplo had in place, this usually meant the person going for victory had not been gathering up CSes properly beforehand. Ideally, this will make the AI better at the choice as it will be more focused on it.

I have not tweaked the leader values too much yet. This will probably happen in the next round of changes after the initial alpha. I did not want to throw it in off the bat, because then I would not be able to properly tell if more culture approaches were due to the leader flavors or due to the grand strategies.

I am definitely looking into this! Many of the AI variables are poorly labeled, and honestly I think specific values for a lot of the scenarios you mentioned do not exist. However, thanks to the increase in the DoF values, ideally the AI will be more tolerant of your actions if you are friends first. If you get any playtesting in, let me know what you find in this situation. Thanks for the feedback!

I will look into that value system. I am not sure if this is within the realm of possibility with the current modtools yet, but if it is, I would certainly like to alter it. One option may be just to increase the negative response for DoFing someone another Friend is hostile to. While it does not directly address the problem, it may in the very least clean it up.

In what way do you mean reducing the friendship backstab? Like the rest of the world won't backstab along with? If so, doable. I can probably alter the AI's war memory as well, though I think the value might actually be 50 turns right now. I will check it out. Making Dofs able to cancel is a bit beyond my capacity at the moment, as it would require a lot of UI editing as well. It is on my longer term list. I am hesitant to change the CS values, because right now protecting a CS is a great way to get yourself into wars where it is someone else's fault. This type of mechanic would need to stay, given the AI will be nicer in other ways.

Yes and yes. This mod makes denunciations over smaller offenses less likely, and while not directly editing the denounce threshold, it reduces the additive factors that would lead to it. It is a tough line to walk, because I do not want to remove the AI's teeth, but DO want to allow peaceful players a chance at playing a relatively peaceful game if they choose.

11. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Hi!

Can I use this exciting mod with the Balance Mod pack or Alpaca's PWM mod?
    I guess none of them deal with the AI...
    I hope playtesting this AI mod will help, even when played along with the mentioned mods...

12. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

uh, I am so excited I begin a test game now:
    Setup will be:

mods:

Attila Mods v13 + Copasetic UI Tweaks v4 + Unofficial Patch III v30 + CSD 2.61 + PWM v4 + WWGD version 0.1
    (enabled in this order)

I am Japan
    8 civs, 8 city sates
    small map, pangea, standard speed, 3 million years, No ancient ruins,
    other factors are not changed

I will keep track of:
    DoFs, when AIs go Hostile, and their armies when attacking
    also on:
    denounces, DoW (especially when in chain)

playtest can be followed here
    (URL corrected)

13. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Should work just fine with alpaca's. The only mods it might have any issues with are ones that rename policies and/or alter AI handicaps.

14. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Working on changing the AI technology weight based on victory condition. This should result in deep beelines instead of horizontal mishmash

15. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

can you post a .exe or .zip file as well? modhub treats my computer the way I treat my x girlfriend; they don't really, um, talk or anything. at all.

16. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Those are the best sort of changes, because they make the AI "smart." With this change it may even be possible to play on a lower level and still have a competitive game.

17. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Not necessarily. A deep beeline also makes you more vulnerable, and the AI is notoriously bad at compensating. It might make the AI better but it might also turn out the other way :lol:

WWGD should work without trouble with PWM. Seeing that the AI still seems to (somewhat) competently settle resource spots in PWM with the increased weights I gave them, I can probably throw this in,too, in my next playtest.

18. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I will get a zip file up by tonight.

19. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

This is one of my concerns with a lot of my tweaks. Making sure I do not create an AI that gets too one dimensional about anything. However, I would really like to see an AI going for conquest to prioritize bottom techs a bit better. The issue seems to be that the AI can only assess its current tech options, and not to where those options may lead in the tree. So, you may have an AI that ignores fertilizer, not realizing it leads to big explodey things.

20. Ddude97

Ddude97 King

Looks good, I'm downloading now!
    Edit: (King, Napoleon, Huge, Continents, standard speed, 13AI, no barbs, policy and promotion saving) Met Monty on turn 10, he became afraid "we fear your great might" and also a "we covet your lands" on turn 11. Turn 30 DoF and his "we covet your lands modifier no longer shows
    Edit again: Turn 64 Arabia DoF and turn 65 Mongolia DoF (they were friendly before and also had a DoF), Rome hostile turn after I denounce
    Edit: Just got surprise attacked by China, seem to focusing on one city, bringingin lots of troops (8-9) and using them somewhat smartly (I was totally unprepared)