1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What would make you go to war early (under 50 turns)?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, May 10, 2014.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

What scenerio? A civ 8 hexes from your capital?

2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Contact to a warmonger-Civ within the first 10-15 turns or so, even if I don't know where they are yet -> Insta-DoW. I know I'm not going to like them and they're not going to like me, nobody is going to have a DoF with them and I haven't met any other Civs yet, so it's basically a free DoW. I'll usually use my first 2 Archers to pick off their units, farm exp and make sure that they can't expand, steal a worker if possible etc. Doesn't really work on Deity, but it does on any other difficulty.

I'll usually not try to take Capital though - except if it's in a REALLY good spot - and instead use them to level up my army as much as possible.

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

An unguarded worker. There's nothing more disrespectful than an unguarded worker next to a scout in a border. Workers have to be guarded sometimes, if possible.

4. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

If I was Persia.

5. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

1. If a civ is nearby and scouting my ruins. Or
    2. If I have military units. Or
    3. If my computer's turned on.

6. SoupJuice

SoupJuice Warlord

I've read that people like to take out Venice the second they discover it because it's easy to do early-game and it's one less Civ to deal with but I feel like giving Venice a chance is a bit more noble.

7. Fat Fingers

Fat Fingers Chieftain

If I happen to get lucky with 2-3 unit upgrades through ruins, I may try to take out a small competitor sitting on valuable resources.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

#1 Reason: AI has an unguarded SETTLER near where I intend to found my next city.
    My unit that was guarding the area enslaves the AI's settler to a worker and I'll declare peace about 10 turns later.

9. krc

krc King

Or not. If they're close enough to be sending settlers where I want to put a city, I want to really cripple them. So I may stay at war, looking to grab another worker or settler, and spend the time earning XP to promote my units.

10. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Truth

11. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Sweden -» Honor -» Great general faster -» Rock'n roll.
    Or, if Maya is a near neighbor : Oracle is mine, never yours.
    Or, to steal stuff : workers, settlers.
    Or, if I roll a map for domination, usually with composite bowmen.

12. Primacide

Primacide Settler

Hello, my name is Greece. I like long walks, talking into the night, and forward settling next to your capital.

13. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

1. Attila.
    2. Shaka.

No need to DoW with these pals. They're such nice guys, they'll do it for you.

3. Venice. I just. Can't. Resist.
    4. Unholy trinity (Austria, Venice, Greece) that simply cannot exists in the same world if I'm one of them or Germany.
    5. Unprotected settlers wondering towards my sweet spots.

Huh... That's a good idea, how did I never thought about doing that... :crazyeye:

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

If I see an unguarded settler, I take it. Period.

15. Koiranputki

Koiranputki Prince

Seems the main provocation is seeing an AI settler where you don't want to see them...;) Yes, I agree...

And if I have a warmonger close by I now routinely prepare for an early war. If the AI capital is within six hexes, I may even...situational, of course...grab the Honour GG and put a citadel up as close as I can to the AI capital....and maybe even grab a few choice hexes in the process. Although the AI will sometimes retaliate with a GG, they seldom seem to do that. Though they may have a GG or two wandering around.

Actually I'm kind of curious just what motivates the AI to plant citadels??? I haven't figured out any discernbile pattern yet....

16. beetle

beetle Deity

If I were better at early war, I would do it a lot more often!

17. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I played Attila and got a RAM upgrade first thing. I nicked a CS before anyone saw me. :mischief:

18. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Yeah, I did that once too, felt awesome until I realized that the city was in an absolute horrible spot. :lol:

19. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

I don't tend to take over CS. But if I could do it before anyone knew I might consider it--that's an interesting idea...hmmm.

20. Peter Sagan

Peter Sagan Warlord

If I'm planning on warmongering troughout the game and Greece, Siam, Austria or any other civ that's going after city-states is close to me. I rather take them out before they've got much allied city-states. I just need them too much on Immortal to keep up with especially faith and culture.