What would the 1950s think of 2013

STB93

Chieftain
Thought that this would go here since this is history related in a way.

But what would happen if a time traveler from the year 1950 were to end up in the year 2013 what would impress him the most? Obviously, the first thing he would comment on is the lack of flying cars and Jetpacks and rockets. But if he were to explore the world more what do you think might impress him?her the most about 2013?

How much we've forgotten about economics.

Yes. That the modern United States is moving towards communism when that was our primary and irrevocable enemy in the 1950s would be shocking.

/sarcasm

Thought that this would go here since this is history related in a way.

But what would happen if a time traveler from the year 1950 were to end up in the year 2013 what would impress him the most? Obviously, the first thing he would comment on is the lack of flying cars and Jetpacks and rockets. But if he were to explore the world more what do you think might impress him?her the most about 2013?

In most places in the world, and for a fairly modest cost, I can use a handheld device to instantly access a network which includes the combined knowledge of almost all mankind.

I use it to take photos of my cat and argue with anonymous strangers.

"What are all these black people doing, all voting and running businesses and stuff???:

"What are all these black people doing, all voting and running businesses and stuff???:

Yeah, probably this. Not to mention all the Latinos in the country. And how well China, India, Korea and Japan are doing economically. Also just about any modern computer, tablet or cellphone with internet connectivity.

Or the fact that the Democrats and Republicans have basically swapped places geographically.

Essentially, it boils down to how the Civil Rights era has impacted our society and changes in foreign policy and the world around us (i.e. no more Soviet Union, but the Middle East hates us). Some technologies like cell phones and computerized address books might have been imagined or forseen, but not in their current form (side note: there is a really good PSA put out by the telephone industry back in the 60s, I think, where they predicted some stuff like answering machines and address books but completely missed things like cell phones). Others like jetpacks and flying cars (noted above), the really scifi-type stuff, still isn't around, so maybe some disappointment there.

Every time I think about jetpacks and flying cars, I realize how glad I am we haven't invented them yet. I mean, people can barely drive in two dimensions now. Imagine the fatalities from having to watch a vertical difference, and probably understand flight and aerodynamics in general. Much better that we invent the self driving car first.

Well, show them the glory years of Apollo, the Space Shuttle, the International Space Station, and the fancy new rovers on Mars. I think that's a pretty impressive set of accomplishments for a couple decades.

Yes. That the modern United States is moving towards communism when that was our primary and irrevocable enemy in the 1950s would be shocking.

/sarcasm

That's what happens when you allow conservatives to control economic policy. :mischief:

Every time I think about jetpacks and flying cars, I realize how glad I am we haven't invented them yet. I mean, people can barely drive in two dimensions now. Imagine the fatalities from having to watch a vertical difference, and probably understand flight and aerodynamics in general. Much better that we invent the self driving car first.

Atleast automated vehicles are comming soon.

Well, show them the glory years of Apollo, the Space Shuttle, the International Space Station, and the fancy new rovers on Mars. I think that's a pretty impressive set of accomplishments for a couple decades.
Given the way Von Braun and pooular culture hyped the future of manned space flight, I still think they'd be let down.

OTOH we just landed a nuclear powered, laser equipped robot on Mars, so there is that.
______
Obama and Obamacare are both big changes.

As are Medicare, medicaid and obesity.

I am not sure they would be happy with any of those changes.

How low the taxes are.. :p

and basically everything that was mentioned so far..

and obviously the really sci-fi stuff (or lack there of), flying cars, moon colonies that jazz.

Given the way Von Braun and pooular culture hyped the future of manned space flight, I still think they'd be let down.

OTOH we just landed a nuclear powered, laser equipped robot on Mars, so there is that.
______
Obama and Obamacare are both big changes.

As are Medicare, medicaid and obesity.

I am not sure they would be happy with any of those changes.

Well, in the late 1940s and early 1950s, everything was still scifi and suborbital flights. I'd imagine people, upon seeing real images from the surface of Mars, from the Moon looking at Earth, of the close flybys of the other planets, of the actual space stations and vehicles would be ridiculously impressed.

:lol: at the taxes comment.

Also, "that hack from King's Row and the GE television show became president?"

How much we've forgotten about economics.

Indeed. What's this Great Recession about? We set up Glass-Steagall and proper regulation, but you got rid of it and got the same crises we used to have.

WTF, the gangsters told you there would be less crime if you got rid of cops and laws? And you bought it ...screw you guys, you deserve it. :lol:

Pangur Bán;12151791 said:
WTF, the gangsters told you there would be less crime if you got rid of cops and laws[/B]? And you bought it ...screw you guys, you deserve it. :lol:

There would be less crime if we got rid of laws, yes.

Top Bottom