What would we want/not want to return from cIV BTS?

Sestey

Chieftain
It's pretty obvious and self-explanatory, but it seems that the Fireaxis has taken a couple pages from BTS and incorporated it into G&K (from what we know)...That being said, what are you guys hoping returns from BTS, and what do you guys not want to see revived?

This does not mean a smarter AI, or anything like that. Just the features etc.

My things: wants: Airports, map trading, global trading, transport ships, and more diversity in terrain.

Things I do not want to see return: Stacking in general, less significance on resources (like if we were not to need horses to build cavalry) and the percentage of our income to allot where to spend it (culture, gold, research, espionage, etc).

Things I wanna see back

- Airports
- Map Trading
- Apostolic Palace and U.N Resolutions
- Vassal States & Corporations (not sure if they were BTS or not, I know that Vassals were Warlords though)

Things I don't wanna see
- Can't think of any actually.

Only thing I don't want really from Civ 4:

No Map trading and no Vassal States.

Other things like stacking, less sig on resources, won't be included and would be a bad idea if they were.

Since we've already seen the list of features in G&K, it's very unlikely that there are any major features that they're including that we don't know about, or they surely would have touted it in the press release.

But if you're asking in general which Civ IV features would and wouldn't work in Civ V hypothetically:

Want:
A "conquest" victory based on percentage of population/territory and not capturing capitals
Vassal States (as implemented in BtS, not Warlords)
A diplomacy system where you can actually have long-term friends and allies
Corporations, but implemented much better than in BtS
Tradable food resource with better benefits
World Events

Do Not Want:
Incredibly annoying Espionage system as implemented in BtS (water poisoned AGAIN?!?!)
Silly unrealistic units like the Airship
Apostolic Palace & UN Resolutions. The idea sounds great, but it's just annoying.

I'd be very happy to see the following back:

- foreign trade routes (as an extra incentive to keep things peaceful)
- vassals
- random events (yes, I do like those)
- the ability to enter forts with sea units (making it possible to build "canals" across narrow land bridges)
- the ability to upgrade Scouts (Paratroopers being the most interesting final "destination" from current Civ 5 units, methinks). It annoys me to no end that levelling Scouts up is entirely pointless since the discovery of, say, Iron Working. There's very little reason to keep Scouts alive.
- influence of what you do to one player on what other players think of you. Declarations of friendships and denouncements are just way too little. With the addition of City States into the picture, it'd make perfect sense to model foreign relations on the basis of "who likes whom, who hates whom". I'm puzzled as to why this isn't the case, especially with CSs. It's all Civ 5 would need to (potentially) be a diplomacy-heavy game. Perhaps moreso than any of the previous installments in the series. All it takes is to combine the features of diplomacy in Civ 4 with the CS mechanic...

What I don't want to see? Going back on any of the newly introduced changes. Frankly, I like most of what was changed. So, 1UPT is OK, policies instead of governmets are OK, no tech trading is great... generally, if anything is to be brought back, I hope it's well-integrated into the new game.

Want:
regional units

Do not want:
Espionage the way it was done then (luckily they say that won't happen)
Lots of bummer civs

Don't want:

Cap on # of Missionary units active at any given time (assuming they get consumed when used.. a cap on the rate you can get them is good enough)

Corporations as modern religions

Do Want:
restrictions on lump sum for per turn trading

infinite range nukes (probably with Rocketry/Satellites)

I don't want to see Corporations and, if vassals were as obnoxious as civ4, I don't want to see those either.

Corporations felt like an afterthought. They turned a fairly different feature (religion) into something that wasn't really built to handle it. Plus, some of the effects felt very counter-intuitive. It seemed the best strategy was often to spam foreign cities. There was nothing more obnoxious that hitting enter and finding the AI spam my territory with CEOs and bankrupt my economy. At a minimum, I would like to see them improved to make it less about unit spam (although corporations themselves feel weird being state institutions).

For vassals. The ability to make another civ submit isn't a bad one. But if you got a vassal, it often ended up just being a pain due to the unpredictability of the AI. And I say "if" you got a vassal because nine times out of ten, they'd submit to someone else instead. The whole feature just seemed a way to snatch a victory from under me.

UN being relevant past winning
Trade roots by river
Open Borders also being a economic +
Random Events

I'd prefer that V be it's own game rather than a rehash of Civ IV ideas, but some features that I would like to see are Vassals, even if it's just city-states. Also being able to push cultural boundaries into your enemy someway other than Great Artists. I very much enjoyed annexing cities through cultural influence.

I would also like to grant independence to colonies like some one mentioned above.

I'd prefer that V be it's own game rather than a rehash of Civ IV ideas, but some features that I would like to see are Vassals, even if it's just city-states. Also being able to push cultural boundaries into your enemy someway other than Great Artists. I very much enjoyed annexing cities through cultural influence.

I would also like to grant independence to colonies like some one mentioned above.

YOu technically do have Vassals atm, with Allied CS.

Yeah, but I liked how the Vassals in IV had to meet certain requirements to become fully autonomous again. Not just me not shoveling money into their gullets for 25 turns.

I want random events. I know some people hate them, and I can't fathom that, but that's why it should be an option that you can turn on or off. I'd also like to see vassals and much better diplomacy. Diplomacy is ridiculous in Civ5. And most importantly better multiplayer. If multiplayer can't be played like a single player game, then it's not working right. It feels extremely dead and empty when AI civs don't contact me on their own, and when they do, I don't get any leaderhead screen.

Come to think of it, I want Civ4 with better graphics, hex tiles, one unit per tile, and Civ5 combat. And then improve from there because I just don't like the core gameplay of Civ5.

I'd love to see colonies again, albeit in a different form.

And Ethiopia of course. That civ needs some love. :D

Yeah, but I liked how the Vassals in IV had to meet certain requirements to become fully autonomous again. Not just me not shoveling money into their gullets for 25 turns.
Yes, and a civilization could become your vassal instead of you having to eliminate them, so you could actually have a long-term friend who you didn't have to annihilate to win.

In Civ V there's no such thing as a long-term friend, but if there was it sure would be nice if you didn't have to attack your friends to get a conquest victory.

An better system of Diplomatic victory,where friendship with other civilizations do make a real difference(it can be done by forbidding the civilization to vote on itself during the UN election);

What I would like to see:

+ granting independence
+ barbarian cities (although it could be camps becoming new CSs in this case)
+ map trading (but maybe made gradual: like an agreement for 30 turns where you see 1 new tile per turn or something - not unlike the change from tech trading to RAs)
+ vassal states, but revamped - what I mean is the ability to subdue one civ's foreign policy to the overlord's for a given number of turns
+ lasting friendships
+ possibility to overtake cities with culture
+ multiple leaders per civ
+ colonizing new continents actually made sense back then

What I don't want back:
- corporations
- unit stacking
- espionage like it was incorporated in Civ4

Since we've already seen the list of features in G&K, it's very unlikely that there are any major features that they're including that we don't know about, or they surely would have touted it in the press release.

But if you're asking in general which Civ IV features would and wouldn't work in Civ V hypothetically:

Want:
A "conquest" victory based on percentage of population/territory and not capturing capitals
Vassal States (as implemented in BtS, not Warlords)
A diplomacy system where you can actually have long-term friends and allies
Corporations, but implemented much better than in BtS
Tradable food resource with better benefits
World Events

Do Not Want:
Incredibly annoying Espionage system as implemented in BtS (water poisoned AGAIN?!?!)
Silly unrealistic units like the Airship
Apostolic Palace & UN Resolutions. The idea sounds great, but it's just annoying.

I like this proposal. Although the Airship could work as an early bomber. Perhaps a Zeppelin for the Germans, which did bomb London and other cities during WWI. This was not unrealistic, it certainly was reality. Airships were also very valuable for naval reconnaissance during that fascinating time. Saying that though, the unit really is not required to have in the context of this game. Airships would be better served in mods for the most part.

Top Bottom