• Other Religion- No

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Nonreligious-Yes

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nonreligous- No

Votes: 68 60.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't follow him, but sure would be nice to meet him.

Of course, until we have sound scientific explaination for something religious or supernatural beliefs remain valid theories, so we can't discount them as "balderdash".

I am yet to see any scientific sense made of religious mania.

So for all intents and purposes, it is balderdash.

And, even if religion can't explain how the world works, many of the teachings are practical even in modern times. Religion is much more than superstition.

Practical for keeping an elite cadre rich and in power, you mean.

Morality is essential, but it does not solely derive from religion.

He would be locked up.

I will need him to perform it again under controlled environment. With all sort of devices to measure the energy or whatsoever.
So if he has too much electromagnetic charge on him, curing cancer isn't a real miracle?

I don't get that.

I can understand wanting to make sure it isn't just some scammer, but what does energy have to do with walking on water or healing?

No, science has never explained how the Red Sea was parted or how he turned water into wine.

Actually,the parting of the Red Sea is hardly a mystery anymore. The Red Sea has very drastic tides. Those tides were even more drastic 3000 years ago. The tides were so drastic that from a low tide of a mere foot or two, 4 hours later the water would be high enough to trap chariots. It's quite apparent that Moses arrived at low tide (or near that and completed the crossing), and by the time his pursuers arrived, the tide was rising and they were trapped in or before the sea.

Not sure about the water to wine. When I thought that even was about survival, I figured he used his own blood to supply nutrients to the water (iron, protein, etc) so that others would survive another day or two. But now that I know it happened at a party... I dunno.

You seem over the top in trying to prove that he doesn't have divine powers when in all likeihood he does.

If he magically and instantly cured someone who was on the verge of dying from cancer or aids, I wouldn't need him to perform it again under a "controlled" environment to believe it. Same thing if he took 5 loaves and 2 fish and magically made 50,000 loafs and 20,000 fish.

Since he is claiming to be one of the most controversial person on earth. Its worth the effort to probe everything from him. And i mean Probing with a capital P. :p

So if he has too much electromagnetic charge on him, curing cancer isn't a real miracle?

I don't get that.

I can understand wanting to make sure it isn't just some scammer, but what does energy have to do with walking on water or healing?

Well, we have to know everything. And since he suppose to be "everything" then see answer above.

Actually,the parting of the Red Sea is hardly a mystery anymore. The Red Sea has very drastic tides. Those tides were even more drastic 3000 years ago. The tides were so drastic that from a low tide of a mere foot or two, 4 hours later the water would be high enough to trap chariots. It's quite apparent that Moses arrived at low tide (or near that and completed the crossing), and by the time his pursuers arrived, the tide was rising and they were trapped in or before the sea.
Or there's always the other explanation. The historical validity of the Jewish scriptures is sketchy as hell. Chances are the stories are based around real people but were exaggerated into tall tales over the course of thousands of years. Unfortunately it is impossible to separate history from myth with any degree of reliability.

I don't get that.

The idea is that we could analyze what's going on and with significant scientific research, be able to recreate it.

Or there's always the other explanation. The historical validity of the Jewish scriptures is sketchy as hell. Chances are the stories are based around real people but were exaggerated into tall tales over the course of thousands of years. Unfortunately it is impossible to separate history from myth with any degree of reliability.

I think it is pretty reliable that parting the sea was an unexpected understanding and prediction of the tides by Moses, or dumb luck.

The Jews definately travelled the route. Outside sources verify this.

Assuming, for the purpose of this exercise, that Jesus Christ never existed until recently. Let us say that he began preaching his ideals in this day and age. Turn the other cheek, give your neighbor your robe if he sues you, etc.

Also for the sake of the exercise, let us assume no divinity or special powers. Only one man who attracts large crowds to preach parables about his ideals.

How many of you would follow him or dismiss him as a loon?

I most certainly would not.

Parting the Red Sea is a metaphoric expression of... sailing across?

Sailing across large isn't very common then. So tales of such feat becomes legends?

Don't think there is any divine intervention there.

What would I do if Jesus were here.. like Second coming? Or just some bum who tells me to give up all my things?

In the latter, I'd call him a crazy. But if the second coming, I would imagine myself to follow him even if I had my doubts. You just don't say no say to a omnipresent man riding on a cloud holding the flaming sword of death.

What would I do if Jesus were here.. like Second coming? Or just some bum who tells me to give up all my things?

In the latter, I'd call him a crazy. But if the second coming, I would imagine myself to follow him even if I had my doubts. You just don't say no say to a omnipresent man riding on a cloud holding the flaming sword of death.

I would.
::

Parting the Red Sea is a metaphoric expression of... sailing across?

Sailing across large isn't very common then. So tales of such feat becomes legends?

Don't think there is any divine intervention there.

Actually, it wasn't the Red Sea. Rather, many people now think it's actually a "Reed Sea". A sort of biblical Engrish.

Curtsibing said:
Practical for keeping an elite cadre rich and in power, you mean.

So you are thinking religion = tools for keeping the ignorant masses under control. Of course, so are the media, the law, and the army. In fact, if you really want to be specific, then just almost anything can be used to consolidate the power of the ruling class.

Try thinking in more down-to-earth terms.

Or, if you like, try praying.

Asking the question this way makes it impossible to get an honest answer, and now that it's asked the well is poisoned, at least for a while. However, for future use...

If you ran across some guy who was going around telling people they should live their lives peacefully, giving to strangers, helping others, treating others like they would like to be treated themselves, etc., what would you think of those ideas?

There have been several famous people matching this description in the 20th century, and back through history. Some of them were Christians, some were not. If you take the religious aspect away, and focus on the morality in a non-religious way, I'd bet a lot of people, perhaps a majority, would agree with the underlying ethos.

Top Bottom