1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do if you won $10,000,000.00?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mojotronica, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

Here's a classic question that, oddly, I haven't seen pop up on CFC yet...

What would you do if you won $10,000,000.00? (Lump sum -- but before taxes. Figure you get to keep about $6,000,000.00.)

Be as detailed as you like.

2. alamo

alamo bang!

Keep it absolutely secret
    Find a safe place to put it
    Discretely settle all debts
    Acquire a high security residence
    Retire from job
    Find appropriate investment vehicles for spare cash
    Attend to any outstanding health issues
    Retreat to residence to plan the next steps

3. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

Some thoughts to consider --

Would you give any to charity? If so, which ones?

How much would you give to friends and family?

Would you work? If so, would you still work at the same job you work at now?

If not, how would you go about pursuing your dream job?

Where would you choose to live?

4. Ancient Grudge

Ancient Grudge Its all in this life

First of all id convert it into pounds so i could use it england where i live :yeah:

I would give about 1,000,000.00 away to friends family and the majority of this to the N.S.P.C.C (national society for the prevation of cruelty to children).
    Then id buy a house in New Zealand move there and life my life in luxury with the money in the bank earnign me enough money to live each year:)

5. Ohwell

Ohwell Chieftain

I'd give half to respectable charities, none to my family, I'd work part time at some relaxing job, and I'd live in an Italian estate.

6. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Okay, here's the breakdown

$4,000,000-Taxes
    $3,000,000-Investements
    $1,000,000 Entertainment
    $750,000-Residence
    $750,000-education (I'm gettin' me a quadruple Phd!)
    $200,000-Humvee
    $125,000-Supercomputer (Sim City 4)
    $50,000-New Server for CFC
    And I'd put the last $125,000 in shiny pennies!

7. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

First of all I'd give a load of it to charity - like a million or so. Then I would put another million in the bank to build up over the years. That leaves like $4 million. A good amount, like a couple hundred thousand, would go to a nice house somewhere here in the city. I'd give another bunch of money to my brother and sister, for college, and put a little more in the bank, for my college. That leaves like $2 million, I'd say. I'd spend alot on simply getting better versions of what I already have - clothes, video games, television, computer, furniture, CDs, etc. I'd probably buy a new car for the family. I'd go see concerts. I would invest some of it, getting the best people possible. That money could be huge if the market goes big in the next decade or so. As for the rest, I'd put whatever is left in the bank. There would probably be about $1.5 million in the bank. That could buy whatever I need when I'm an adult, and it will make alot through interest...

8. napoleon526

napoleon526 Emperor

Two chicks at the same time. :D

9. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

:lol: "Quick, turn on Channel 5!"

Great movie. :goodjob:

10. nixon

nixon Rationale is leaving you

Make sure me and my family didn't need anything, put the rest in the bank, then just live life decently and modestly, and above all, normally. That's the kind of life I want.

11. John Bull

John Bull British

Noone can reasonably spend £10'000'000 ($6'000'000ish) so I'd give about £4'000'000 to charities such as the NCDL (from where I got one of my dogs:)), CFC (if it's a registered charity) and the political party I support. With the rest I would not buy a new house but instead all the properties which surround my existing house. i'd then knock them down, extend my house and build horse stables, a huge indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, a seperate pulling pad / party house / brewery, and possibly a motor racing track. i'd live in relative luxury, giving lots to my friends, family and gold-diggers, and taking regular holidays to interesting places like Campania and Crete. I'd also buy a modest flat in Athens. :p

12. Bifrost

Bifrost Chieftain

10.000 $ - to get more experienced in sex ( though, "more", sounds too pathetic.... :D)
    one half of the rest - cure for HIV researches
    another half - to improve the education system :)

13. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone Which Way Did He Go?

Convert into pounds, maybe a few euros. After which by a house and staff, a car, a jet and one hell of a computer setup.

14. anonymous4401

anonymous4401 Chieftain

Buy a senator or two. Maybe three. How much do senators go for nowadays? Are they cheaper than congressmen?

Seriously, I would give 90% to missionary work and real charities. The ones that rely on volunteers happy to actually go out there and help people, not to show off or take your money. But since they require so little funding, theoretically, I could support a lot of them. Also, I'd scrap the whole federal 'education' that has proved itself to not work so many times by setting up my own free schools that are not merely daycares for teenagers. I'd probably get some clout and argue for slashing many unneccesary government programs, make sure welfare goes to people who really need it, and set up a vigilante anti-drug force to roam the streets of the big city. I suppose a few thousand will be left for myself, which will go to my new super-computer on which I'll load 12-hour scenarios in under a minute, and maybe bribe Thunderfall to raise my postcount by 5000. :)

15. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Chieftain

10 million USD?
    In Israel, there are no taxes on lottery prizes (although every bus ride is a lottery you DONT wanna win) so that'll be a 10 million lump sum. Neat.

10% goes to charities, but I don't give away money. 10 million is a lot, so everyone figures embezzling a thousand here and a thousand there won't be noticed and your 10 million end up being turned into more money for the ******ed bureaucrats not necessary to keep the foundation up. You don't give money - you give stuff. I'd go to a hospital in the southern part of the country and offer to buy a brand new ICU unit or anything else that 1 million dollars buy. But I don't give money - I give stuff.

As for family - I reckon everyone will get enough to pay off the mortgage and a few hunded thousand shekels (local currency) for their use, overall i'll be willing to put up 1.5 million USD for family related spending.

The remaining 7.5 million will be divided like so-
    1.5 million will be used to purchase several plots or vast tracts of land - real estate bussiness is the only surefire investment.

Of the remaining 6 million, 5 million will be put in a separate bank account, which will be used to live off the interests.

The million dollars i've got left is what I'm willing to spend - new, slightly better constructed and private house (cottage or possibly a villa), new car, better computer setup and academic spending.
    I'm not going to go into a shopping craze just because I can afford it. Nouveau Riches type people make me go grrr.

16. china444

china444 Ain't no thang

Spend it. :p

No, i would use it for college and use the rest for gambling and the stock market.

And i would pay off my teachers for good grades

17. America444

America444 Coming Back To Life

id put it in the bank and use it for college and spend some of it

18. anonymous4401

anonymous4401 Chieftain

Until you come to me, who you cannot pay off because hypothetically I too have won ten million dollars!

Also, there are people who do not value money over integrity. If you wish to live a shallow, meaningless, materialistic life, avoid these people. Their righteousness and charity may be contagious.

19. china444

china444 Ain't no thang

No its if I won 10 million. Key word I. Fool.

20. anonymous4401

anonymous4401 Chieftain

Have you completely disregarded the second half of my post as well as my intelligence in three sentences?