what would you do with this start?

The-Hawk

Old Original Geezer
Here is what I started with (mapfinder screen capture). This is an immortal game so health is always a concern:

gold1.jpg

I'm curious what people's first move would be.

This is an immortal game, so I am interested in getting a freshwater plains hill and more food. Therefore, I moved a couple of times, trying to find a better place to settle. Here is what I found. Talk about overkill :rolleyes::

gold2.jpg

So, settle in place and hope for the best in the FOW? Or move on?

I settled in place, here is what I found:

Spoiler :
gold3.jpg

More gold!!!! All in all, a pretty crappy start position...

By the way, on a similar vein, here is another start I recently saw. 8 Jumbos in the BFC, one just outside.

jumbos.jpg

That city can never feed all those mines so it's wasting a lot of gold by settling there. That many gold should be spread out between 3, even 4 cities if there's some food available around. Knowing the terrain, in place would've been just fine.

I lose when I play immortal, but I have a question which I think is quite valid: Why did you settle where you did? Yes, it looks pretty with all that gold, but you'll never work it all (1W of initial spot or on initial start would be my choices)...or am I missing something?

1W would've had serious health issues and less food. In place would work best since the food surplus matches 3 gold mines.

Settle in place. Happiness, river, food, gold, chops - what's not to like?

At size 7, a very achievable number even w/out a fw bonus, one could work:
City site: 2f2h1c
gl/hill/pig - 5f1h
gl farm - 3f1c
fp farm - 4f1c
4 plains goldmines - 12h28c
For a pre-multiplier yield of 14f (exactly what you need), 16h, and 32c.

And getting to that point requires no additional health resources than what we see on screen, and only one additional happiness generator (resource or temple). That's not to mention that even working 3 goldmines monarchy is right around the corner. That much gold, that soon makes giving up fw a small price to pay.

That said, I think the 3 goldmines and better growth potential of the initial spot make it superior. I'm just saying either spot is infinitely preferable to the one eventually selected.

I lose when I play immortal, but I have a question which I think is quite valid: Why did you settle where you did?

I am playing the current HOF immortal domination Gauntlet, so I am looking for an outstanding start. This means lots of food. Once I moved and opened up the 6 gold hills, I knew I would not be playing this start... unless for some reason there was a ton of food in the FOW. I mostly settled in place to see what was there ;).

Settling in place would still be a very good city. Pig, Flood, trees, and 2 gold, what's not to like? The extra hills aren't going to kill you. Expanding or teching is no problem with 2 golds and you have plenty to chop.

And you also got that surprise Stone.

Top Bottom