1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you like to see in a 3rd expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by GandhisRevenge, Feb 12, 2019.

1. GandhisRevenge

GandhisRevenge Chieftain

I think a 3rd expansion is likely, but nothing has been officially confirmed. With that being said, what would you like to see in a hypothetical future expansion?

I would like medical districts (apothecaries, hospitals, etc) -- as well as a plague/sickness mechanic added to the game. I think this would add a little flavor to the midgame, and play well with the random events being added in GS.

I would also like to see 4th tier buildings. Districts appear to be designed to hold 4 structures

New units: Complete the melee line by added much-needed "fillers" such as long swordsman and riflemen, and trebuchets to the artillery line.

New Civs:
    Babylon (enough said)
    Maya
    Byzantium (either as a stand-alone Civ or an alternative to Rome)
    Alt leader for Germany (Frederick the Great or Bismarck)

These are just a few of the many things I would like to see in a future expansion. What do yall hope to see?

2. playshogi

playshogi Chieftain

I would like to see Civ 7 instead of another expansion that is almost the same price as a whole new game.

comatosedragon likes this.
  3. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

Babylon and Byzantium for sure!

I'd like some kind of subversive/insidious espionage victory. Kind of like a soft-domination where you puppet the other leaders from the shadows. Don't ask me how to implement this - I'm just an ideas man.

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I want to see a prequel of sorts. All of the events from the beginning of mankind up until the time you settle your city on turn 0. It would be a separate game but then you'd have the option of naming the civ and transferring your tribe onto the same map to begin a traditional CIV game.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Vandlys and Alexadamz like this.
  5. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It's too early for Civ 7. Also they still need to add at least Babylonia. If they don't, Civ 6 would be the first in the series to not include all 14 original Civ 1 civs. That's a huge precedent to break.

Jkchart, Bearmanjew, Piranga and 6 others like this.
  6. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Just like my boss! :lol::lol::lol:

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I'd also like to see Byzantium, Ethiopia, the Maya, another native North American civ, preferably from the Pacific Northwest, and a second leader for China. (Kublai could be for both China and Mongolia!)

As for features. They don't need to add too much, but a vassalage/colonialism system would be great. More than that they should just refine things and improve the AI.

Piranga and Timodelphia like this.
  8. playshogi

playshogi Chieftain

Civ6 followed the Civ5 release almost exactly, even to the number of days between releases. The exception, IIRC, is Civ6 got 1 extra leader in the DLC's. Breaking their schedule of releases would be a much greater deviation from "precedent".

9. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I don't agree. I'd like to see Civ VII go in a different direction, but I feel like Civ VI could still have more added to it. It is mostly about adding civs, but I think they can flesh out the trading system more.

10. Anno

Anno Chieftain

Yeah I’d like to see Civ 7 be a pretty different game than 6. One more expansion and some more patching would be nice to leave this style of Civ on a high note.

The Kingmaker likes this.
  11. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

Please inform him that DannyMustardpants will be taking over from now on. ;)

Stilgar08 likes this.
  12. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I don't think a third expansion is likely. I don't really see much in the way of major features that need to be added to the game. They can always add more civilizations, but they don't need a full expansion for that. I'd like to see them fix some of the many 2-year-old bugs and improve the AI, but I'm not going to pay $40 for that.

Vandlys and j51 like this.
  13. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

Reworked Free cities ... make them important part of game. Todays most powerfull Civ in real world is USA, which was free city in 1776 --- I dont expect in Civ game to have such possibilities, but make Free Cities at least as City State.

14. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Two different ides for Civ VII:

1. A radically different look at researching technology--you pick projects based on your environment and those yield results that may be what you're targeting, but may not.
    2. A return to the roots with multi-unit stacking and tile-contained cities.

I don't think either will happen, but if they're just going to tweak Civ VI, but with a few re-worked features (i.e. probably stripped down), I'd rather just have a Civ VI expansion.

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  15. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

They strongly hinted in the livestream that as long as sales are good, they'll keep making content. So I would think that a 3rd expansion might be likely.

However, I would agree that there really aren't a lot of "new" features that I can think of, that feel like they need to be in there. I think if we were to see a 3rd expansion, I would simply like things to be rounded out more. So simply give us more tile improvements, more buildings, and more strategy. The game already feels a little bloated as it stands now, so adding in more just feels like it's there just for the sake of there being more. I would love to see a better way to mix religion into the game, or to reform religious combat somehow, but that's not a trivial change as it's hard to play base game+expansions with completely different rulesets.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  16. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Chieftain

In terms of a potential third expansion I'm not sure what else they could add that would make it worth the price given the amount of game mechanics there will be after GS (by the looks of things). New civs are always welcome but I imagine these would be DLC, some freebies and maybe a paid one or two. Certainly I wouldn't like to see loads of news buildings and units like we ended up with in civ 5, e.g. great war units.

For a new implementation of the game it would be good to see a complete change in how we approach the game - in pretty much every version of civ the game is won if you survive the first 50 or so turns (talking single player on higher difficulties). The AI gets a huge leg-up with additional units in the starting era which is generally (IMHO) the only challenging and interesting part of the game, but it always feels contrived. You may get a challenge with a run-away civ on another continent, but usually that's the pattern, and the rest of game is comparatively dull. Of course I've no idea how the developers could tackle this given the woeful nature of the AI currently :crazyeye:

Leucarum likes this.
  17. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

for loyalty : revolts , civil war ,
    for diplomacy : world war , ideologies , a few scenarios
    for new mechanic : health/diseases , ideologies
    and to round it up : lots and lots of leaders and a few glaring missing civilizations.

Piranga, Timodelphia and Vandlys like this.
  18. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Not including Babylonia would be breaking 25+ years of precedent over 6 iterations in a storied franchise. That's bigger. It's like omitting a major character.They could always just add them as DLC though.

I like the first idea a lot!

19. Anno

Anno Chieftain

I’d personally like to see some extra systems to incentivize/necessitate building up cities in a more reasonable way. It’s super weird that loads of small cities are comparable to or better than cities that actually use the content and systems already in the game. So however they were to approach that I’d be interested.

For a potential Civ 7 I mostly want them to shift away from the concept of the game being basically a digital board game and go more in the simulation route. It’s time for prescripted victory conditions to go.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  20. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Babylon, Maya, Italy, Vietnam, Portugal, Byzantium, for sure. Ethiopia or Berbers and another NA Civ would round things out. Another dual-Civ leader would be fun but otherwise a new leader for Egypt would be cool.

Economic Victory. Possibly include Corporations as part of this.

Make Free Cities more interesting. What if you could interact with them other than to fight them or flip them? What if they had a chance to form new City States?

Make Religion Great Again! Crusader units! Reformations and Schisms!

Expanded climate change/natural disasters to include earthquakes, avalanches, mudslides and tsunamis, maybe even Ice Ages and El Nino. Disease/health could also be fun if carefully implemented around existing systems.

More things for spies to do. Disease would create one or two obvious ones.

More skins for Rock Bands. More Great People, especially for the Future Era.