1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What would your local wonder be?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dotsworthy, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Dotsworthy

Dotsworthy Chieftain

Spinning off from the "how old is your country?' thread, it got me thinking about what wonders from my home city I would put forward into a theoretical civ game. As someone who hails from Newcastle UK:

Baltic Flour Mill
    A factory type building that provides production in the industrial age with added culture and tourism from the modern era onwards.

St.James Park
    Similar to the Maracana and would provide amenities and gold to the appropriate city.

2. criZp

criZp Emperor

Hardly any wonder around here, but we do have a telecommunication tower. Far smaller than the one from canada they included as a wonder in civ 5, but it has a nice restaurant up in the top, about 80 meters above the ground. The restaurant also has a spinning floor which moves like 360 degrees in 1 hour, so during the dinner you get to see the city in every direction.

Spoiler :
    tyholt2.jpg
    tyholt3.jpg
    tyholt1.jpg

We also have a cathedral, biggest one in, idk, northern scandinavia or something. Got a green copper roof and a wall full of stone statues.

Spoiler :
    nidarosdomen1.jpg
    nidarosdomen2.png
    nidarosdomen3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2019
    nzcamel, Kjimmet and Victoria like this.
  3. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Antwerp central station (railway cathedral) - late industrial era

Ability : instantly converts all roads in your empire into rail roads

Can I pick one from another country too?
    Battersea power station (London) : powers all your cities on your home continent C2815FBA-6AA0-489F-8319-04C1AC8FA036.jpeg E4758687-E7A3-4FED-8176-11BF36290DD2.jpeg

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Probably the closest wonder to me perhaps some would not consider a wonder, but here is The Magna Carta.
    Spoiler :

upload_2019-10-26_10-24-37.jpeg

It is hard because we also have things like Windsor castle nearby but that is more international as well. My favourite which I guess is also a few streets closer is The Royal Holloway University. It looks so much more awesome in real life. Some say this building and its sister building the Holloway Sanatorium are 2 of the most beautiful examples of Victorian architecture. (The inside of the Sanatorium in mind bendingly wonderful.
    I guess because it was for women it would be an addition +4 science also capable of being affected by City States.
    upload_2019-10-26_10-31-6.jpeg
    The inside is of the university is not worse for wear either.
    Spoiler :
    [ upload_2019-10-26_10-32-42.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Sing Sing Prison

As a reference to how this is where soviet spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg were given the electric chair, let's say the effect is "Double the chance of catching spies in your empire". Also... the building requires power. Ha ha.

If I had been asked this back when I lived in NYC, I would have said Coney Island

Must be built on the coast next to a water park district. Gives +some gold, +some amenities, +some food (Nathan's hot dog eating contest!), doubles tourism from water park buildings in your empire.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    cinattra, darkace77450, rlw33 and 2 others like this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Hoover (boulder) dam. Hasn't been in the game since civ3. Can't do pictures right now from work.

Bonus: hmm, maybe a bonus to power in every city of your empire.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  7. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

tedhebert likes this.
  8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Our industrial past: Big Pit https://www.visitblaenavon.co.uk/en/VisitBlaenavon/ThingsToDo/Big-Pit-National-Coal-Museum.aspx
    Past Sporting Glories: Cardiff Arms Park https://www.cardiffblues.com/cardiff-arms-park
    Current Sporting Glories :shifty:: Principality Stadium https://www.principalitystadium.wales/
    2nd Biggest Castle in the UK: Caerphilly Castle https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/caerphilly-castle
    History and Culture: Cardiff Castle https://www.cardiffcastle.com/
    Victorian Folly on a Grand Scale: Castell Coch https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/castell-coch

Not sure how wonderous they are but they are certainly local.

Leucarum likes this.
  9. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Hmm. A few choices:
    Oddball Industrial wonder - The Hull Rust Mine: besides being one of the largest mines in the world, they actually moved an entire town to expand the mine. You wouldn't even know these massive mines are here- other than the small mountains of rock they've piled up around them over the years with forests growing on them, or the trucks bigger than houses, but still. Actually this hole in the ground is responsible for making the US the steel powerhouse it was, and provided something like 1/4 of all the iron from WW1 to WW2. When you military history nuts see American guns, tanks, ships, etc, the large majority of that steel came from this mining region.
    To have an effect, I suppose I'd have it do something fun like add +3:c5production: to all the strategics in your empire and +1 extraction rate, or something.

Natural Wonder - Lake Superior. You could easily make this a 3 or 4 tile wonder. It's enormous and full of fresh water. And ore freighters, carrying all the aforementioned iron ore around.

I suppose the Mall of America would count too, except it owned by canadians. Sorry, eh

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The St. Louis Gateway Arch, perhaps?

WillowBrook likes this.
  11. Imaus

Imaus Prince

I'm in, well, this:

Maybe a more unconventional wonder. Grand Central Terminal: all railroads gain double movement? 1/4th more movement?

12. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

13. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

A UNESCO World Heritage site and much more wondrous than the Golden Gate Bridge.

14. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I was thinking Edinburgh Castle but yes that's a good shout!

Imaus likes this.
  15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Although I don't live in central Copenhagen, I think Rosenborg Castle would be my most local candidate for a wonder.
    Rosenborg.jpg

Uberfrog likes this.
  16. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

There is absolutely nothing here so the closest would be the CN Tower.

17. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

My local wonder is already in the game. :)

18. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Niagara Falls, Erie Canal, Holland Tunnel, Independence Hall Philadelphia PA.

19. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

Hmmm... not much in the way of wonders here! I live in Chingola, northern part of Zambia. Small town, very little in the way of history or infrastructure. But I'd say 'Nchanga Open Pit Mine'; operations started in 1955 and was once the second largest open pit mine in the world...
    6ac47aff-6ed3-4fe9-9147-2592d6cb8716-original..jpg

Nchanga Open Pit Mine: Atomic Era wonder. International trade routes yield +3:c5production: production for each Industrial Zone, Aqueduct, Dams, and Canals, and +5:c5gold: gold for each Commercial Hub building in the destination city. Can revert to a previously adopted government without Anarchy. Must be built on plains adjacent to a mine

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    bbbt, cinattra, darkpigraph and 4 others like this.
  20. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Natural:

1) Kadisha Valley

Faith based. Gives Religious units a bonus to healing per turn.

World

World would probably be ancient or classical... most likely a Great Cothon (found in Tyre, Sidon, or Carthage)

Spoiler :

Provides free trade routes
    Extends range of trade routes by x%

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Pure24 likes this.