1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

I woke up this morning and found... the freezer's door open. About a palm wide. :sad:

I already know the answer (I'm in the denial phase), but what do you think? Everything has to go into the bin?

2. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

uh.. what? why in the mother of ..? I wouldn't throw anything away. the only thing that's potentially dangerous is like.. raw meat and dishes that involves raw eggs. and even then it's probably not a problem if you cook it right now.

most restaurants de-thaw meat by leaving it sit on the kitchen counter over night.. :confused::confused:

vegetables, fruit, flour based foods, cooked foods... all of that should be okay

3. civvver

civvver Warlord

Did everything thaw? Deep frozen meat doesn't always thaw overnight.

4. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I agree. You may have softened the freeze (allowed the temperature to rise about -5°) but that's not dangerous. Only things next to the opening would actually thaw. The biggest issue will be the wear on the refrigeration unit of the freezer. It will have run nonstop.

J

5. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Thank you guys. Luckily my freezer has inner drawers, and I had no meat there (I'm the buy-as-needed, eat right away type, mostly). Most valuable to me was a batch of crepes cut into ribbons - a week's worth of evening soups -, but maybe it held well. I had it stored in single serving bowls, I had one earlier for supper and am not dying yet. I'll wait Friday to experiment again without missing work, but I'm optimistic.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. onejayhawk

I acquired the bone of a spiral cut ham at work. Other than a pot of beans or bean soup, does anyone have some suggestions?

For non-Americans, spiral cut hams are precooked hams where the bulk of the meat is presliced while still on the bone. This is done but turning the whole ham into a springloaded knife. It's a way of adding some machine labor to increase the selling price.

J

7. civvver

civvver Warlord

Try chef johns red beans and rice! Just sub the ham bone for the ham hocks he uses.

8. onejayhawk

It was soup and closer to a cross between pasta e fagioli and tortilla soup than anything else. Beans and pasta with SW seasonings. Leftovers will come out some cold day when cornbread is on the menu.

J

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I call this pizza pasta:
    Spoiler :
    pizza pasta.png

You cut up french bread into thin slices and butter both sides. I add garlic power, Italian seasoning and some red pepper flakes to one side of the slices. Then you line a baking dish with the slices of bread (seasoned side up) and bake it for about 10 minutes at 350.

Cook spaghetti noodles and after draining them, add 1 cup of shredded swiss cheese, parsley and other spices to taste and a jar of alfredo sauce. You can also add roma tomatoe slices or sun dried tomatoes or other stuff. I also throw bacon in the mix.

Stir the spaghetti and stuff up, then dump it on top of the bread slices. Bake for another 10 minutes at 350.

This is probably my best dish when it comes to leftovers. Week-old pizza pasta is just as tasty as fresh, so I make up big batches and make a week of lunches in one go.

haroon and onejayhawk like this.
  10. civvver

civvver Warlord

I made that jambalaya for a potluck party and it was a huge hit.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. onejayhawk

Kind of an island twist on chicken and rice.

Arroz con Pollo
    1 pound boneless chicken meat
    1 Tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp oregano
    ½ tsp cumin
    ½ tsp turmeric
    oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 cup chopped green olives
    1 cup sofrito (below)
    2 cups white rice, rinsed
    2 cups chicken broth

Sear the chicken but do not cook through. Toss with seasonings ands set aside.
    Soften onion and pepper in a little oil.
    Add sofrito and olives. Cook stirring fo a minute or two.
    Add stock and bring to low boil.
    Chop chicken into small pieces.
    Add to pot and stir.
    Cover and cook over very low heat until rice is cooked.

Sofrito
    2 green bell peppers, seeded
    2 cubanelle peppers, seeded
    4-5 ahi dulce peppers, seeded
    1 large white onion, chopped
    8 cloves garlic
    1 bunch cilantro leaves
    Salt to taste
    ¼ cup olive oil

Cut everyting into chunks.
    Place in a food processor and reduce to semismooth purée.​

I have stock left from the ham bone which is used instead of chicken stock. No added salt. Otherwise, the biggest thing is sofrito, which I took some shortcuts making. Rather than four mild and four spicy peppers, I used poblano peppers and a few pequin. You can use bone-in chicken. Sear and finish in the rice pan. It also works with ground turkey or ground pork. If you have saffron, give it a go instead of the turmeric.

J

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  12. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Hey, my mother uses to cook it every Saturday. She even bought a big pan for it. Some random Saturdays it is replaced by paella though. (which is basically the same but adding some seafood)

13. onejayhawk

More than that. This dish steam cooks the rice, which means there is no crunchy crust. Also, it's a different sort of rice. Still, a lot of the ingredients are the same.

J

14. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

There is not crunchy crust in arroz con pollo or paella. At least in the Spanish version. I guess it is the same in latin America.

haroon and Azem.Ocram like this.
  15. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

My spanish grandmother's paella does not have the crunchy crust but many English-language recipes I've read say it's an essential part of paella. The pan I bought to make it even came with a little booklet telling you how to make the crunchy layer and why you should. I wonder if it's a marketing thing or just an American spin on the dish that everyone forgot is a spin?

17. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Well thinking on it again maybe this crunchy crust may refer to the so-called socarrat which is the rice at the bottom of the pan becoming slightly toasted. It can happen accidentally (like my mother) or can be intentional. I think it is easier to get it if you use open fire instead of an electric ring. Wouldn't call it a "crunchy crust" though, or wouldnt consider it an essential part of paella. It simply happens.

Anyway the dish we use to call paella has little to do with the original thing. It didn't have sea food to begin with, but white beans, rabbit and snails. And if you go for the most authentic thing, you should use water vole, which basically is an aquatic rat. Nothing to wonder about since it originally was a typical dish of the poor people living at Valencia marshes.

18. onejayhawk

That's the word. Many consider it the best part.

It's no surprise the dish has morphed considerably from its origins. Many dishes began with either game or some form of preserved meat mixed with available herbs and vegetables. Paella is no different. A while ago in this thread, we were discussing pasta carbonara. While the origins may be humble, the popularity exploded about 75 years ago. The key element, the semi cooking of egg to make a gloss, is unchanged (and rarely done correctly). The other ingredients have changed to what is similar but inexpensive. In USA, if one wants to do coq a vin, you do not even try to get a rooster. Instead, you use chicken leg portions for more flavor. The resulting dish is not properly called coq a vin, but it is in the tradition of cheaply purchased and wine braised.

J

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Ok yeah I'm talking about the socarrat, not a crust on top. I wonder if you're right and my grandmother just can't do it on her small electric stove. It actually takes some effort to get it to come out right (not burned but perfectly scorched) when I make it on an electric stove- which is I guess why the pan came with instructions. Maybe on a older gas or wood stoves it's just something that happens like you say.

The last time I made paella I made the mistake of using this cheap frozen seafood mix of squid, clams, octopus and other random animals. It was definitely not fresh and stunk to high hell when I cooked it. I couldn't get over it and didn't eat a lot of it. When my grandmother makes it, it doesn't contain any seafood at all but instead chicken, egg, ham and olives. If I make it with seafood again, I'll definitely go for fresh, higher-end ingredients but I think I'd rather make it without seafood. Good to know that's 'allowed' so to speak.

Come to think of it, I haven't made it on my gas stove since I moved. Now I know what I'm making for dinner this weekend!

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I made ham and rice balls last night. They were good but very plain and they need to be paired with a good sauce. I tried a lot of sweet sauces like Heinz 57 (similar to katsu sauce) but I think it would be better paired with more savory sauces. I think they would be good with a side of nacho cheese to be honest or if I added some mozzarella to the rice/ham mix.
    ham and rice balls.png