1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

"Paired with a good sauce" is French cooking reduced to a phrase. I am less enamored of the recent fad of dipping sauces than some but a truly good sauce will solve almost any issue.

J

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I'm trying to think of ways to season and flavor these balls to avoid the use of a sauce but I'm unsure what spices compliment cubed ham, vegetable shortening, breadcrumbs and short grain rice.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Pepper and paprika?

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

The recipe did call for paprika, next time I think I'll use more. It didn't call for any pepper and since this was my first time making it, I followed even though I thought it was weird it had salt and paprika but no pepper.

5. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Carrot cake.

It is basically several layers of swiss bread rolls alternated with a paste made of boiled carrots mixed with grated coconut and sugar. All put in a bowl and pressed for half a hour using a dish with something heavy on it. (i use dumbbells)

IMG_20190422_011206.jpg
    Not bad for my first attempt beyond microwave popcorn. :smug:

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

That looks nothing like the carrot cake that people make here but it looks delicious!

7. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

It is a recipe of my mother i haven't seen it in internet or elsewhere. It is so simple even I can do it.

8. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

You're so close to arancini, you might simply make them as they are.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. civvver

civvver Warlord

I made my kids some bunny pancakes for Easter breakfast. They look crappy but whatever they liked them.

Then I made some kick ass bbq chicken thighs. Top left is rub only, no sauce. Rest got some sauce from pappys bbq in st louis on them. Rub of paprika, chipotle, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, cumin. You can see I sampled a few already.

Chicken with bones and skin is much superior to the other varieties.

BenitoChavez and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. onejayhawk

Cinco de Mayo is coming. My next door neighbor made tamales. Her version has spiced chicken, potatoes, peppers, and chickpeas spread on masa and wrapped in banana leaves and aluminum foil. They are as big as your wrist and oh so good.

Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of a famous battle, not Mexico's independence from Spain, in case anyone was not clear. In Texas it is an excuse to drink Mexican beer and margaritas, eat chip-n-dip, and dance to salsa music.

J

yung.carl.jung and Sofista like this.
  11. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Mexican - that's a good suggestion. I've been thinking about making my own fajitas for some time, and Sunday is a good time for it. With some red beans on the side, perhaps.

12. civvver

civvver Warlord

I won my weight loss challenge so I had a snack yesterday to celebrate. I don't know what I call it but have been eating it for years, not regularly, just a thing I discovered when I was a teenager and have from time to time. I guess it's chocolate peanut butter cereal.

You melt equal parts semi sweet chocolate (chips, bars, hershey kisses, whatever) with peanut butter together in the microwave. Takes about 30 seconds. Stir to combine, then add crunchy cereal. I use corn flakes but you could use chex or rice krispies, just nothing sweetened. Mix to coat. Eat it like cereal. Sometimes I top with whipped cream.

It's kind of like chex muddy buddies/puppy chow but I don't coat with powdered sugar and I use a spoon.

13. onejayhawk

You could do that as a no bake cookie. It would take some trials to get proportions right, but the idea is to spoon onto waxed paper to set. The powdered sugar would make it less messy to handle. Nuts would be overkill with the peanut butter, but dried fruit would be interesting.

J

14. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Chieftain

one of my favorite cookies as a child... we call them choc crackles
    they are normally made with popped rice here but corn flakes are common
    it did not take long for peanut butter to go into the mix..

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. onejayhawk

This was my staple cookie as a child because of gluten issues.

CHOCOLATE OATMEAL NO-BAKE COOKIES

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a saucepan. On medium heat, bring to a boil for one full minute.
    Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter (optional), vanilla and oatmeal.

Drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.​

Make sure you get quick cooking oats. Traditional rolled oats will not cook enough, leaving them sticky.

J

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I made breakfast pizza for dinner and lunches for the next week. I used 2 cans of canned, southern-style biscuits and put them on the tray and smooshed them as flat as I could. Then I added sausage gravy, eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon. I used a liberal amount of pepper too. It turned out pretty good but I prefer making breakfast pizza with a real pizza crust because you can't eat this with your hands.

Spoiler :
    breakfast pizza.png

17. onejayhawk

Today is a major US holiday, Memorial Day. It honors those that have died in service of the country. We use 11 November to honor active military and living veterans. The weekend is the unofficial start of summer and grilling is traditional.

I had to work today, so I had no chance to hit the grill. The last I did was ribeye steaks over wood coals. :goodjob:

In any event, I saw a new twist on poppers and rellenos. You stuff them with spiced cheese.
    • 1 brick cream cheese at room temperature
    • 2-4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
    • fresh garlic to taste
    • 2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
    I have used a combination of the first three many times. I had never considered adding a spice blend. Cajun is shown, but curry makes as much sense. The rest is the same--blister your peppers over a flame to remove the skin, stuff, wrap with bacon if desired, bake or grill.

J

18. civvver

civvver Warlord

Looks good but won’t it get kind of mushy for lunches later? I love a southern eggs Benedict. Really not like eggs Benedict at all, just biscuit with a poached egg and sausage gravy on top.

For dinner I made an enchilada casserole. Not that much like authentic enchiladas but still delicious. Make ahead and just heat up.

Add whatever type of chicken you want to a pan. You can used canned pieces or rotisserie or pulled or diced raw and cook it in some oil. Add taco seasoning and water per seasoning directions and simmer a little.

In a big bowl mix a can of rotel tomatoes and chili’s with a can of cream of chicken soup. Then pour in the whole chicken concoction and stir, then mix in shredded cheese. Reserve about a cup and a half of the mixture. Fill tortillas with the remaining mixture and roll, placing seam side down in a dish snug next to each other. I use flour tortillas but you can use corn too. Spread the reserved mix on top. Then pour a little salsa on a spread. Sprinkle with more cheese. Cover with foil and bake until bubbly.

Also greasing the pan is never a bad idea so they don’t stick.

19. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Warlord

Yea this is a classic, you can replace a cup of sugar with a banana for an interesting lower sugar twist.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

It sure did. Another reason why I prefer real pizza crust for breakfast pizza.