1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. civvver

civvver Warlord

you are missing out. But your wallet thanks you. Every time I go in there I spend at least $100.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Last night I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner. I had a flash of inspiration and dumped a packet of onion dip seasoning into the potatoes and man it turned out really nice. For dessert we made an applesauce cake and had it with a cup of decaf. It was yummy.

Also made a big pot of french onion soup for the missus to have for lunch this week. I hate onions but I love the smell of a pot of french onion soup.

3. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Try a little dill sometime.

J

4. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

I need to feed a household of 3 (me and my 2 roommates) for 2-3 weeks with a little over $200 (our combined budget) worth of groceries. I’ll eat almost anything but I prefer fancy or exotic meals, one roommate prefers processed food but will eat almost anything, and one prefers american fast/junk food and works in a tex-mex fast food restaurant. We have dried beans, rice, pasta, canned soup, canned beans, canned tunafish, canned vegetables, and pancake mix. We’ll be shopping at WinCo and Walmart in Idaho if that matters.

5. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

I've been in an even more desperate situation so I can sure as hell can help you out. some of the cheapest sources of calories are:

general: don't shop everything at the supermarket. I buy 6kh sacks of rice at the asian grocer for pobably 1/3rd of the price, and it's better quality, too, ironically. eat lots of soups, stews, stir fries and curries. completely skip on meat and fish and cheese.

legumes. lentils, beans, chickpeas etc. buy them dried, never ever canned. they're much cheaper that way. just soak them overnight.
    starchy vegetables like potatoes, or incredibly cheap veges like onions.
    rice. especially white rice. one of the cheapest sources of calories there is.
    flour. do not buy baked goods, they're a rip off (jk). you don't have to be all fancy and bake your own bread, there's an infinite amount of baked goods that are easy to make and don't take that much time. I recommend what is often called "no knead bread", which basically translates to "good bread but without putting in any work". there's videos all over YT. I guess boxed pasta is okay, that stuff is pretty cheap.
    organs. yeah, i know, nobody likes em. but they're literally the most nutritious part of the animal, and incredibly cheap. I recommend chicken livers. pro tip: don't like the taste of liver? make a bolognese and substitude 1/3rd of ground beef for liver, tastes great.
    don't ever buy processed products. drink water. make everything yourself, if you can. I don't even really buy mayo or ketchup anymore, but that's just me :D

3 weeks with 200 bucks makes 200/21, so you roughly have like 9.5 dollar to spend per day, translating to about 3 dollar per head. that's not a lot, but it'll work out. I used to live on 3€ a day and I never went hungry or had a bad meal. not once.

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  6. civvver

civvver Warlord

These are both really good, cheap recipes for a few people. Save leftovers, reuse spices between them. Sub chicken thighs for the shrimp in the sausage cooking phase in the jambalaya one to keep cost low. You can sub white rice as well.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220126/chef-johns-sausage-shrimp-jambalaya/
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241499/chef-johns-red-beans-and-rice/

Fresh pasta is amazing and costs the same to make as dried but can be a ton of work if you don't have a roller machine. It's hard to hand roll. But if you can do it, you can make a really cheap meal, just toss in some olive oil with salt and fresh herbs.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck with chili. Basic chili, you just need ground beef, red beans, onions, some liquid like tomato sauce or juice, seasoning like salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, maybe cayenne for heat.

Breakfast for dinner is really cheap. Use your pancake mix, make some eggs any way you like them and make breakfast sandwiches. Add some cheese or meat if you desire.

Homemade pizza bagels or bread is also really good. Just get some decent bread like any italian loaf or baguette, or bagels, split in half, top with sauce, cheese and whatever else you like on pizza, and bake until everything's melted and delicious.

Any kind of grilled chicken is cheap and can be done a ton of ways- mexican flavors for burritos or tacos, bbq flavors, asian flavors for stir frys etc.

Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Use fancier cheeses, properly butter the bread, serve with salad or soup.

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  7. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

Thank you so much!
    In a month, I’ll have $300 to last each month. I already have rice, dried beans, and canned goods and my roommates will have to buy their own junk food.

8. civvver

civvver Warlord

You're half way to red beans and rice and man is it good.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  9. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Every Caribbean island has a local recipe for beans and rice. Here in Texas it's beans (or field peas) and cornbread.

Mother used to buy the two pound package of bacon scraps, strictly for flavoring. It was good for weeks of beans and the occasional salad. German style potato salad is dead easy to make. One of my favorites is wilted greens. It takes a lot of greens, so be warned.

Wilted Greens Salad
    1 large heat resistant bowl of washed and cut or torn greens (8-10 cups)
    2-3 onion tops
    3 strips of bacon
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbsp water
    2 tsp sugar (more or less to taste)
    S&P

Cut the bacon up and brown. Remove pieces and add to greens.
    Into the bacon fat add the onion tops, vinegar, water and sugar.
    Heat to almost boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar.
    Pour hot liquid over greens and toss lightly.
    Season with S&P and serve immediately.​

If the greens happen to be spinach, this is traditionally served with a sliced hard boiled egg. Leaf lettuce, arugula, mustard leaf, turnip tops, and kale are all suitable. Cool the dressing and it makes good cabbage slaw. Mix with shredded cabbage and let set several hours or overnight.

J

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I made Chicago style deep dish pizza and homemade mozzarella sticks.

One problem I've always had with Chicago style is that it requires a middle layer of dough to separate the cheese from everything else and when I make it with canned dough, the middle layer turns out very soggy and limp as it cooks in a wet environment. This time I bought a single pre-made, fully-cooked pizza dough and used that as the middle layer and it turned out fantastic. The bottom layer was a canned dough rolled thin to fit the pan, with cornmeal to help keep it from sticking and adding texture. The sauce was actually leftover lasagna meat-sauce that I added crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning to. I save enough of the sauce to use for dipping the mozzarella sticks. I dipped the mozzarella in egg, flour, egg then breading to make it hold together better during cooking and I also made sure the mozzarella was chilled before frying it.

Spoiler pizza :
    pizza2.png whole pizza.png

Spoiler mozzarella sticks :
    mozzerella sticks.png

Saturday/Sunday is cleaning day here so don't judge the mess (pics taken Friday night).

11. yung.carl.jung

canned dough? tf? bru it's literally flour, water, salt and yeast, who would buy dough in a can?

on a completely unrelated note, I helped a friend cook a 3 course menu today

entree - tom sam: spicy green papaya and mango salad with herbs and nuts
    main - banh mi: home made baguette, vegan pate with truffles, xar siu soy, pickled radish and carrot, spicy mayo
    desert - tapioca dream: coconut cream tapioca pearls, tropical fruit, lime zest. was absolutely incredibly, it's a recipe my girlfriend came up with.

12. civvver

civvver Warlord

Canned dough has already risen, it's just easier. Canned biscuit dough is amazing.

I have a question about grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts. I always brine mine. If I am going to butterfly them to cook faster and more evenly, would you butterfly before or after the brine? I admit it probably doesn't matter.

13. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

How do you cook meat to be as tough as possible without being rubbery?

14. civvver

civvver Warlord

I don't? Tough meat is not palatable.

15. yung.carl.jung

overcooked meat will always be both tough and rubbery. properly cooked meat will never be tough nor rubbery. so that is literally impossible, but you've activated my sense of morbid curiosity. the only way to have your meat be both tough and not-rubbery is by eating it raw or searing it at very high temperature for a very short time. all other ways of cooking, or even brining, curing, smoking, boiling, whatever, they all break down the meat and make it more digestible and more tender. that's what cooking is about, genius :lol:

if you're serious about this you might want to check out any of the dishes I wrote in response to civvver's post. please buy good quality meat and eat it right away, or you might die. I've done it before and some of these are quite delicious. I'd recommend carpaccio for a start.

it is palatable, as is raw meat, it's just not good at all. I mean you do have some point, our stomach nor our intenstines evolved to digest raw meat, we're not carnist animals after all.

beef carpaccio is still a thing, as is Mett, as is meat sashimi, so a small amount of raw meat isn't a problem.

16. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I had some leftover ham and decided to make ham and pear sandwich melts. Made some quick spiced butter to spread on sourdough bread, swiss, provolone, some canned pears (recommended by the recipe), and shredded ham. Super tasty. The pears once warm had absolutely no resistance when you bit in so provided a nice burse of sweetness to offset the savory ham and cheeses.

Only problem is one of the sandwiches when I flipped it fell apart in the skillet.

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The main thing I know about Costco is one of our gaming group always swings by their on gaming nights and buys the cakes or biscuits that are on special offer.
    For that alone they are valued.

18. civvver

civvver Warlord

I was grilling and wanted brussel sprouts with my chicken and shrimp so I put them on some foil on the grill. Not a packet, just made a double sheet of foil as a roasting surface. It turned out really well, actually I think they charred better than the oven. The chicken and shrimp was awesome too, boneless skinless thighs, both marinaded with chopped garlic, fresh thyme and oregano, paprika, coarse salt and black pepper, cayenne, olive oil. I have made an herb marinade in the past using a bunch of stuff, basil, parsley, thyme, tons of garlic, oil and lemon zest and juice, but this was a little different sans lemon, add the peppers. And I usually do it in a food processor, this I just rough chopped so texture was different in a good way, though both are amazing marinades.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

If you brine it overnight it won't matter, the brine will penetrate the flesh in that time frame.

On the canned dough -
    I made the sauce with a ton of ingredients and the pizza itself takes a lot of effort given the complexity of the two layers. While I love my pizza, I don't want spend more than 3 hours I already did on it by making dough - I even hand-chopped a pepperoni log because I couldn't buy it cubed. Fresh dough wouldn't add anything to the pizza either as I can't make a dough better than what comes in a can.

20. yung.carl.jung

a 'roni log doesn't sound like something edible :lol: took me forever to realize you meant salami sausage (pepperoni as you guys call it). pepperoni in italy (or everywhere else I think) usually refers to some kind of mild pepper. pepperoncini I think means "small pepperoni" and is the most common chile in italian cuisine.

making pizza dough really doesn't take hours: you put flour, water and yeast into a bowl. mix. done. like 5 minutes at most. you can eat it after 30mins minimum, if not then you just let it rise further or put it in the fridge. pizza dough is imho best after 3 days, but tastes fantastic even on the same day.

Sofista likes this.