1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

The ants will locate all of them for you!

hobbsyoyo and Ajidica like this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

And probably ants! :mad:

edit: damn didn't see @Birdjaguar made the same joke on the next page

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My ant situation is under control. I filled lots of soda caps with my borax solution and put them around the house and their numbers have plummeted. I can go a day or two without seeing a single one.

Tonight I was a bit in a scramble for dinner as the meals I made earlier in the week didn't yield enough leftovers for our lunches and dinners later in the week. In the cupboard I found a can of tomato sauce, a can of chili, a small can of tomato paste and a can of tomato soup. I mixed them all together and added some frozen fake chicken and made a spaghetti dinner out of it. It was not too bad.

4. civvver

civvver Deity

I grilled some pork tenderloin. Cut into thick chops, rubbed fresh chopped rosemary and thyme mixed with olive oil, black pepper, garlic and salt all over it. Put a full sprig of rosemary in grill too for aromatics. Came out really nice. Stop over cooking pork! It's amazing when it's just on the edge of done, a hint of pink but not mushy, almost like a medium well steak.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  5. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Prince

I made risotto with leftovers and calrose rice. I cooked 2 diced onions in a mixture of leftover chicken fat and new olive oil. Then I added garlic. Afterwards, I added rice. I didn’t have wine so I used cidre vinegar and water. Then I added pressure cooker chicken drippings (which was high in gelatin) and pressure cooker bone broth. Then I added seasonings (turmeric, oregano, pepper, paprika, a little cumin). Eventually I ran out of broth so I added water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. When it was done, I turned off the heat, added a little cold filtered water, shredded some parmigiana in, then mixed in some butter. It was yellow-brown, kinda like risotto Milanese.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I made fried rice with bratwurst meat last night and I was happy with how well it turned out. I did two things that made it shine -

After combining the rice with all the other ingredients, I fried it a lot longer than I normally do. Normally, I just sort of heat everything up for a minute and I'm done with it but the result is sort of a sticky mush. This time, I cranked up the heat and let it cook for almost ten minutes. This cooked off the excess moisture and helped separate the rice grains and made them a bit crunchier than they normally are.

The other thing I did was I cooked the eggs like an omelet in a separate pan. Normally I just move the rice over and cook scrambled eggs in the same pan but this ends up with the eggs getting mixed into too thoroughly with the rice and they lose all texture and flavor. By making it like an omelet in another pan, I was able to have big, fluffy chunks of egg that I added to the rice at the very end so that they were a distinct, flavorful ingredient.

It was all quite good.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Last night I had linguini with a simple white sauce that was heavy cream, white wine, garlic, salt and gorgonzola. I topped it with walnuts.

It was delicious. Oh and to keep the meal from being too high brow, I washed it down with blue mountain dew.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I made homemade potato chips and a big corned beef sandwhich for dinner last night. I slow-cooked the corned beef all day, then slided it up and put it on a loaf of french bread with Russian dressing, mustard, wasabi and swiss cheese. The parboiled the potatoes before I fried them as I heard that makes them crispier. They turned out well but I put too much Parmesan in addition to plain salt on them. I forgot Parmesan is super salty itself and meant the chips ended up being too salty. I have a big mess of dishes to clean today but it was worth it.

9. civvver

civvver Deity

Sounds pretty awesome. So you pan fried the chips? I read somewhere you can make potato chips in the microwave and it's not messy. Never tried it though.

I have to make a big pot of chili for a halloween party tomorrow. I have a pretty good recipe I developed that's just in my head but I am contemplating adding a little msg to the batch this time. I have never cooked with msg before but I have heard it's perfect for savory foods like chili. Has anyone had experience using it? Supposedly a teaspoon is good for around 6 servings so I'll probably do double that.

If anyone is interested, it's a pretty easy recipe, but everyone says it's the best. I don't measure amounts I just eyeball everything so it's approximate. And I use a hack for cutting the veggies, I put them in a food processor and pulse til they're finely diced but not pulverized. So much faster.

Ingredient:
    4 strips of bacon diced
    1 red bell pepper finely diced
    6 jalapeno peppers seeds removed and finely diced (use more or less depending on your heat tolerance)
    1 large yellow onion finely diced
    1/2 stick of butter
    3 lbs of 80/20 ground beef
    ~4 tbsp garlic salt (or galic powder plus salt)
    ~2 tbsp ground black pepper
    ~3 tbsp ground cumin
    ~3 tbsp chili powder
    ~1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper (more or less depending on heat level)
    ~1 tbsp of chipotle powder (this isn't for heat, this is for the smokey flavor. You could sub smoked paprika if you want)
    24 ounce can of chili beans in sauce don't drain. I use mild since I add my own heat.
    ~1 tbsp soy sauce
    1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
    12 ounces beer
    16 ounces of tomato sauce. Use a plain tomato sauce, not italian seasoned like jar spaghetti sauce

1. In a large pot fry the bacon over medium to med high heat until fat is rendered out, but not crispy, about 3 minutes
    2. Add diced vegetables and butter and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with some of the garlic salt and black pepper.
    3. Add the ground beef. Use a wooden spoon or spatula or anything that works chop and crumble the meat as it browns in the pot. I use a big wooden spoon with a square tip and just keep turning the meat and crumbling it up as I go. As it browns season generously with all the spices, but don't overdo it as we can always add more. Takes about 10 minutes to brown all the meat and you should be constantly chopping it up with your spoon during this time so it browns evenly and is a good texture.
    4. When the meat is all browned add everything else, stir up and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer or low heat. Adjust the heat as needed and simmer for about 30 minutes. Return and stir and taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Keep in mind the flavors will concentrate as it simmers and sits later so don't overdo it.
    5. Simmer another hour, stirring occasionally. Continue to simmer until it reaches your desired consistency but an hour and a half total is usually good. It's ready to eat now but tastes even better the next day after the flavors have mingled even more.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  10. civvver

civvver Deity

That sounds good too, it wasn't too rich though? Walnuts plus gorgonzola plus cream sounds super rich.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It was both extremely good and very rich. It was so good that we made a second batch a few days later. Held up pretty well through refrigeration. We forgot the walnuts the second time we made it though and it was still fine.

It's rich enough that you can use it as a dip for crackers when it's refrigerated.

12. civvver

civvver Deity

Added a few dashes of msg to the chili and it was the best I've ever made. It was a big party with 5 total crock pots of chili. Mine was completely gone, only a couple others even half eaten. Not sure if it was the secret ingredient or not but man it was good.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Made two apple crumbles today - :D
    It's autumn, so tons of apples in my trees, and full pie/crumble production has begun.

Also, possibly a homemade pizza later tonight...

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I made tomales the other night.

15. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

the beautiful bastard child of tomatoes and tamales

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

We will make a Californian out of you yet, though sometimes I wonder.
    That was hilarious.

---------------------------

Meanwhile...I'm thinking that leftover shredded beef from last nights sandwich experience, reheated and properly seasoned, can be the backbone of some really good burritos. Refried beans (pinto), black beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, some sour cream...in big flour tortillas and drenched in some salsa verde I have laying about... :yumyum:

I'm more a functional cook than a chef, but it keeps me popular.

17. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Leftover shredded beef… you need to learn how to make locro.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Reading up on this locro I might already know how. No two recipes appear even close to each other, and one outright says "well, whatever you got, chuck it in, it's a soup." Heck, I do that all the time.

So, as my only known Argentine friend, what do you say are the defining features that make locro not just a random collection of soup parts? I'm thinking I have shredded beef and bacon, which fits within the loose meat requirements. Onion and garlic sauteed in the meat grease, got that. Potatoes, obviously, I still have and it seems like putting in some but not a dominant amount is part of the deal. Butternut squash seems to be called for pretty consistently, as does some sort of corn...like hominy. I like hominy in soup. So if I get some squash and some hominy am I ready, or is there something else that's absolutely vital?

The extreme long cooking time and a couple notes indicate that the starch vegetables in particular, and really everything, gets sort of crushed into mush. Is that accurate?

19. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Bacon? Hell no, you need bone meat. Also the type of potato should be chosen carefully, but my Quichua is, let us say, pathetic and there's over 3k varieties of the danged plant so I use whichever one's affordable in the neighbourhood.

The 6-8 hours of boiling should make everything become a mush… tell you what, tomorrow I'll dig up the actual recipe I have somewhere on paper.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Last night I made a big pot of chili. I experimented with the seasonings a bit and it was good, I hope it gets better (and not worse) as the seasonings marinate over the next couple of days.

Tonight I'm making toasted ravioli and snap peas. :yumyum: