1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

Fried is probably even better, but I don't have a deep fryer. You could pan fry like eggplant parmesean.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. civvver

civvver Deity

Last weekend we all went to my wife's grandma's house to learn an old family recipe they call pocket cabbage. It's very similar to polish golumpki. My grandma said it was a hungarian recipe her sister learned from her mother in law a long time ago and they've been making it this way for over 60 years. So really old. And we have the original in my grandma's hand writing which was pretty cool. The main difference between this and all the polish stuffed cabbage I've seen is this one mixes in pork and is boiled not baked. There were like 20 of us and it was a fun family feast.

You need:
    Two heads of cabbage, cored
    1/2 lb bacon ground. You will need a meat grinder to grind this stuff unless you can get the butcher to grind bacon and ham for you.
    1 lb lean pork like loin, or ground pork
    1/2 lb ham
    1 lb ground beef
    three eggs
    24 ounce box of white rice/minute rice.
    24 ounces of sauerkraut
    48 ounces of tomato juice
    Giant pot of boiling water

1. Grind the bacon, pork and ham and combine with the beef. If you can buy it ground that's fine.
    2. Mix in three eggs, rice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
    3. Boil the cabbage in the water until it's pliable. You need to push it down with tongs usually and wait until it stops bubbling, about 3 minutes I guess. I don't know cus I didn't do this part.
    4. Carefully peel off the cabbage leaves so they stay whole.
    5. Lay out a piece of cabbage leaf and you take a handful of meat mixture about the size of a large meatball. Roll it up in the cabbage starting from the base side and fold the leaves in towards the middle like you are rolling a burrito. Tuck it in good at the bottom. Do this until meat mix is gone. It'll make about 20 rolls.
    6. In a giant pot (you can use your cabbage boiling one if you remove the water) you put a little tomato juice at the bottom and spread it around, then layer cabbage rolls, sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut until it's all used up. Pour the remaining juice over all.
    7. Heat loosely covered on high until it comes to a gently boil, then reduce heat to low or medium so it's simmering. Let simmer for 2-3 hours more and it's done. Adjust for salt and pepper or just let people add their own once served.

It's weird to me how good this recipe is considering it's all boiled and it's just meat in the mix, no onions or garlic or anything special, and the sauce is just tomato juice, but holy cow it's good! I think the sauerkraut basically saves it and thickens up the sauce. I cut my cabbage pocket in half and ladle more juice over it. It's very tasty and filling.

3. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Things I've cooked over the last few weeks:

Cashew and cauliflower pâté with cranberries. On a Banh Mi. Made some beetroot mustard from scratch. Made carrots taste like lox. Cooked 4 pounds of beef, lots of black beans and infinite amounts of chili into perfect little servings of "barbacoa beef" (it's actually pressure cooked, but the name stuck..) which I'm gonna use for future burritos. A lot of burritos.

I do have a frier, but I use it like once a year to do something obscene or crazy. otherwise I stick to shallow-frying in a pan like you said :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I made a pork roast for dinner but I started it too late and while it's cooked now, it's not tender. I thought about using the pressure cooker but I got for XMas but I didn't have time to fiddle with directions and I didn't want to risk ruining it. I'll let it cook for a few more hours and then it'll just be lunches for the week.

5. yung.carl.jung

a pressure cooker is a wonderful thing. cherish that guy and clean him well every time. I use mine a lot. almost always for meat or soup.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I bought a bag of breaded okra and fried it in lard. Unfortunately, the breading was super thick and salty and the okra inside had no flavor or texture and didn't even have seeds. It was all around disappointing.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I finally got around to using my pressure cooker and man is the hype totally right. It was fast and made some deliciously moist chicken. It even simmered the sauce for me after the chicken was done to thicken it up.

I also got a jar of dijon + blue cheese mustard and it's so tangy and delicious I eat on a cracker by itself.

8. yung.carl.jung

Some of my recent projects:

Made tacos with goose and pork fat, fresh green salsa (finally got some tomatillos) and some barbacoa beef. topped with mango salsa (mango pieces in pickled-scotch bonnet paste with some smoked chili..insanely good and funky) and tajin.

Also making some giant beans in tomato garlic sauce to snack for Brotzeit or Tapas.

Tommorow I'll be making some sick cabbage soup with smoked ham.

And in just a week I'm off to Portugal to sip madeira and eat ham & olives. oh yeah.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. civvver

civvver Deity

mmm that sounds good, barbacoa beef... Hobs apparently pressure cookers are amazing at cooking barbacoa and carnitas.

I got two slabs of st louis cut pork ribs for $15. Great sale. Gonna smoke them tomorrow with a memphis dry rub.

yung.carl.jung and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

lol the St Louis version of BBQ is to pour heaps of super-sweet sauce on everything

11. civvver

civvver Deity

yeah that's why KC and memphis style are way better. I use very little sauce if any.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. civvver

civvver Deity

I made my kids french bread pizza last night cus the wife is out of town and I thought it would be easy and delicious. Well it was, but they both disagreed and wouldn't eat it. So then ended up with pb&j. You just cut a french loaf in half (you could use baguette or any bread really), spread pizza sauce on it, top with shredded mozz and whatever else you like, bake at 400-450 until bubbly.

13. yung.carl.jung

that sounds like a lazy/single version of what we call "Pizza bread". It's usually done with leftover from pizza making. My mom used to make something similiar, but added salami, ham, black olives, mushrooms, bell pepper, cream cheese, spices and anything else that would fit on a pizza. I'm honestly not the biggest fan, though I wouldn't refuse it. I genuinely don't remember a single time where I refused to eat something my parents cooked. I even gulped down the slob that they served at my friends house (noodles and ketchup, nutella on everything, that kind of stuff), though not without lamentation :lol:

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Can you return your children?

I mean the pb&j fallback at least partially redeems them, but I would seriously consider returning kids that don't eat pizza bread as defective.

15. civvver

civvver Deity

honestly it depends on how hungry they are and since I am a big pushover when it comes to snacks, they weren't starving or anything. We made rice krispie treats last weekend and they ate a bunch of those a couple hours before dinner.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Digorno's now sells a pretty good Detroit-style pizza. It even comes with a crisper pan so the edges get burnt. They do not dump scoops of sauce on top of the cheese like a real Detroit-style pizza but it's still really good.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

They changed the recipe for canned croissant rolls. Now they do not cook very well and turn back to almost a mush when they've been refrigerated after cooking.

18. yung.carl.jung

what in the actual ....?? that name alone is vomit inducing

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

They used to be aight.

20. civvver

civvver Deity

you mean the pillsbury crescent rolls?

hobbsyoyo likes this.