1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Jan 5, 2018.

1. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I pulled this out to modify for rotisserie chicken

STUFFED PEPPER SOUP

1 onion, chopped
    2-5 jalapeno peppers, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1.5 pound ground meat
    1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
    1 Tbsp salt free chili powder
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
    1 cup chicken broth
    Your favorite toppings!

Sauté onion and chopped peppers in oil until tender.
    Add garlic and cook one minute.
    Add ground meat and cook about 8 minutes.
    Add seasonings
    Stir and cook another minute or two.
    Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth and rice and bring to boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked, at least 20 minutes but up to an hour.
    Adjust seasonings and serve.​

With a rotisserie chicken, start water heating while you strip the chicken. Put the skin and bones in the water and set the meat aside while you start the base. Add it with the seasonings and skip the eight minutes, so not heating and cooking the raw meats saves a lot of time. Use as the broth, of course

This recipe is suitable for serious pepperheads. You need a cup to a cup and a half of chopped peppers, but they can be any mix, including habanero or ghost. I would use pasilla or pablano if available and a mix gives more flavor.

This is versatile. It can easily be made in a slow cooker. Use veggy broth and eggplant and/or cooked beans to make a vegan version. Add more rice to make rice dish. It's ideal if you want to experiment with other grains.

J

Old Hippy likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yes.

So they seem to be fine if you refrigerate them, it's when you refrigerate them and then put them in the microwave that triggers them to turn into goo.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I made another crockpot full of what I have come to call "those absurd meatballs." Instead of making sandwiches I made wide egg noodles, threw on a number of meatballs, then took the juice and added standard brown gravy mix to thicken and poured over it. Threw on some sleazy brand 'shredded Italian cheese blend' and done. Monster hit with all involved. Why I ever worked at cooking stuff remains a mystery.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. civvver

civvver Deity

Toaster oven my man.

Ha that's exactly why I never make lasanga anymore. As much as I love smoking meat it's sometimes just as satisfying to have a cheese burger- and it's waaaay less work. Simple is good sometimes.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I had some Dubliner cheese and it was really good. Never had it before, it was a lot like Manchego or a slightly moist Parmesan.

I managed to cook the chicken dinner I ruined the other night and it was better than I thought it would be!

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Fish n chips
    Spoiler :
    fish n chips.jpg

yung.carl.jung and Old Hippy like this.
  7. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

lovely

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Thanks!
    I had some fresh parsley so I put some Parmesan and the parsley along with some dry BBQ rub for seasoning on the waffle fries. I cooked the green beans with a garlic-infused oil, salt, pepper and then added parsley at the end.

The fish was cod with a double-layer of flour and egg batter. I seasoned the flour with New Orleans style seasoning (old bay I think) and I cooked them in my deep fryer. I overcooked the fish a bit unfortunately but it was still good.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  9. civvver

civvver Deity

Easy, no mess chicken parm.

Butterfly chicken breasts, use shake n bake to coat and bake according to the instructions. About 3 minutes prior to being done top with mozzerella cheese and turn on the broiler if desired. Remove when cheese is melty and browned. Serve with a good jarred marinara. (might be an oxymoron but if we're keeping it easy and simple jarred sauce is the way to go).

I used to do this same thing but make my own breading from scratch with bread crumbs and spices and egg wash but the shake n bake version tastes just as good.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Now I kind of wish I used shake n bake for the breading of my fish as I prefer that texture to plain flour.

I managed to clean everything up in a timely manner but the house is going to stink for a few days. :(

11. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Lechon manok, i.e. barbecued chicken from Chooks to Go. over rice. :drool:

yung.carl.jung and hobbsyoyo like this.
  12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

My gf had some sort of "life is short" epiphany about desserts. She tells me that as a kid her family never really did desserts. When we go out to dinner she always seems like she's full and says no to dessert. Once in a while she wants cupcakes and I get these little minicupcakes from the supermarket bakery so she can eat one and I can eat the other eleven over the next few days and then a month later she'll say "what happened to those cupcakes?" Anyway...

She e-mails me this recipe out of the blue and says "we are having a special dessert once a week." So Bananas Foster.

Pretty good. Not even remotely in my usual cooking skill set because everything goes really fast once things start hitting the pan, and I'm not usually reliable for having everything prepared for that kind of dexterity display, but I sort of recognized how it would go and did get set up for it. I think I'm going to need a dessert chef though if she sticks to this once a week plan.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I signed up for this service that mails you boxes of ingredients and instructions for assembly. It actually comes out to a pretty reasonable price per meal, after it's all said and done, and it's got me cooking and trying new things, so for now I am sticking with it. I get 2 deliveries a month and now I basically always have a new type of meal in my fridge or ingredients to make one.

This morning i woke up hungover and made some mac n cheese.. but they're actually calling it "Creamy cheddar Cavatappi with butternut squash & lemon-dijon spinach salad". I didn't make the salad yet, but the rest was really easy to make and now I have a perfect hangover meal for the rest of the day and probably for lunch tomorrow.

The meal i'm making on tuesday is "Blackened chicken in green goddess sauce over roasted carrots & scallion rice"

They give you all the ingredients in all the amounts you need, and the meals i pick tend to use a lot of spices.. or maybe they all do.. either way, it seems if i went out to buy all the spices individually, it would really add up. And i don't think a lot of stuff like that stays fresh very long either.. or maybe I just need to do more research

I'm also learning useful things like what parchment paper is and how to not set it on fire in the oven, and I also know about zesting

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Against the quarantine, a self-indulgent sandwich, inspired by croque madame.

Longish, semi-whole bread, painted with butter. Ham with herbs. Smoked scamorza. And a fried egg, inside instead of on top because I like to eat my sandwiches with my hands. Ten minutes at 180°C wrapped in tinfoil.

20200322_204439_resized.jpg 20200322_210233_resized.jpg

yung.carl.jung and hobbsyoyo like this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

I am in a kind of high risk category, classed "shield" by the state, so not going out to the shops. I am getting deliveries, but am economising to make them last. This is what I made last night, and as it turned out much better than I expected I thought I would share it:

Ingredients (for about 5 person / meals):
    • 1/2 cup of dried soya beans
    • 2 beef bones (sold as dog treats)
    • 1 green pepper (capsicum)
    • 1 courgette
    • Whatever flavourings you have, I used :
      • Encona pepper sauce
      • Soy sauce
      • Fish sauce
      • Onion powder
      • Garlic powder
      • Black pepper
      • Salt
    Instructions:

Soak beans overnight in excess water (in a saucepan).
    Add bones to saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for ~ 3 hours.
    Remove bones bones from pan, leave to cool down.
    Once bones cool enough to handle, remove anything edible. This mostly consists of tendon, which I cut into very small bits to make easier to eat, and marrow which need hooking out using any suitable implement.
    Add edible bits and all other ingredients to pan.
    Simmer for another hour or 3, with the lid off to reduce a bit it you can be bothered to keep stirring it to prevent burning.

I served it with boiled cabbage and roast butternut. This is what it looked like cooking, with the bones after I removed the good bits:

Attached Files:

hobbsyoyo and yung.carl.jung like this.
  16. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

In these trying times, we all need something to look forward to, and while one would wish it would fall on happier times, once again Monday the 6th will be World Carbonara Day. Just a reminder.

Do something great for yourselves and your loved ones! Do it responsibly (no cream, NO VEGETABLES), and have a jolly good time!

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I made pasta yesterday using some stuff I had in my pantry and freezer and other places..

I found these cheese and spinach filled pasta things (I'm sure there's a fancy Italian name for that kind of pasta but 'pasta things' will do)

I made a sauce by frying up a chopped up onion, dumping some cubed tomatoes from a can into a pot, added the onions, salt, pepper, some parmesan cheese, I added some olive oil, and I have some alfredo sauce so I threw that in too. I fried up some ground beef and threw that in too. Stirred this thing on the stove for about a half an hour, then I couldn't wait any longer and dug in

Delicious, and I have more cans of chopped up tomatoes left that I should probably do the same thing with

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    hobbsyoyo and Samson like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I took chicken nuggets, put them in a bowl with rice and pour sweet and sour sauce over the top for dinner last night. It was ok. Chicken nuggets were the only meat product the supermarket had in stock the last time we went.

19. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Broadly: if they were square-shaped, they're ravioli. If they're round-shapes, they're tortellini.

Other than being loanwords, what makes the terms 'fancy'?Should I call kielbasa 'Polish sausage' because that's some fancy word?

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's fancy because it's got things inside of things and the packaging uses words other than "pasta filled with cheese n stuff"

Kielbasa just translates to "sausage", so you probably shouldn't because us Poles don't want to claim all sausages on the planet as our own. We tried that once and it didn't go very well

Sofista likes this.