What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

I am having a smoked mozarella for the first time today :)

@Sofista those Spätzle look mouth-watering. beautiful shape, too!

I found some mushrooms growing under my hedges that are dead ringers for portabella mushrooms. The big ones not the baby ones.

However delicious and appetizing they look, I will under no circumstances be testing out wild mushrooms in my kitchen. :nope:

I did however add some store bought baby bellas and sweet onions to my whole french green beans :D

Sorry if I posted this before but I made some delicious semi-homemade hamburger helper. We were avoiding grocery shopping and were trying to make do with what we had so I cooked some ground beef with lots of seasoning, then added cream cheese to the beef. Separately, I cooked some velveeta and when it was done, I mixed the velveeta with the ground beef and added some of this mysterious Arab white cheese sauce in and cooked it until the noodles browned. I topped it with french fried onions and man it was soooo much better than the boxed kind.

New twist on BLT. Judith bought some brioche slider buns. Stack it with half a rasher of bacon, plum tomato sliced round, a leaf of basil, onion if desired and dressing of choice. Four of these with soup was a nice meal.

J

Crockpot Chicken Pazole, easy version.

I used to make this with a huge effort circus of roasting peppers and tomatillos, and blender and strainer and gigantic mess. Then one day I forgot I was supposed to make Pazole the next day and the morning caught me having not done all the prep to make the red chile sauce and...well...
Spoiler :

No one noticed. Sigh. Haven't done that since.

So, throw that, chicken broth, and a couple chicken breasts in crock pot on low for several hours. Pull out meat and shred with forks. Throw back for another hour. Dump in drained canned hominy for last half hour. Chop up cabbage, radishes, and green onion. Put a pile of chop in a bowl and add hot soup. The chop isn't cooked exactly, it just gets the raw boiled off as the soup cools.

That's it.

Also works with pork loin.

I found this chicken seasoning and I absolutely love it. I've actually only used it on chicken once. I've been putting it a lot more on vegetables and making garlic bread out of it. It's mostly garlic and salt but has a little pepper and herbs to give it a kick. It just works well with lots of stuff. Yesterday I made a foil packet for the grill with sliced zucchini, asparagus and some sliced onions, olive oil and this. It was great. I also made some bacon wrapped asparagus for an appetizer a couple weekends ago at a bbq. You just wrap a slice of bacon around an asparagus stalk and grill or bake it until bacon is crispy, but a couple tips: It's better with a little seasoning, again I used this beer can chicken stuff, and I found right on the grill racks the bacon got a little too blackened on the outsides before the fat had rendered enough, so I put foil under it and it worked better. I'm going to try wrapping some zucchini spears this weekend since my inlaws can't eat asparagus. Apparently it induces gout.

Taught my two sons to use a manual can opener yesterday evening. I'd bought some canned green beans when it was unclear how long/bad the pandemic would get, so I figured it was time to go ahead and eat some of them. Generally, I never use canned veggies, but when you're prepping for the zombie apocalypse...

Anyway, to go with the canned haricot verts, I made rice and beans (kidney), which came out fantastic, probably the best I've ever made, with zero mushiness and zero burned/stuck rice at the bottom of the pot, which I've actually never been able to manage before. I also made sautéed pork chops, and used the juices to make a light onion gravy with sliced un-battered onion rings throughout. The gravy came out tasty and light, perfect for pouring all over the rice and chops.

zero mushiness and zero burned/stuck rice at the bottom of the pot, which I've actually never been able to manage before.
Teach me, Sensei.

Teach me, Sensei.
3 1/2 cups of water, 2 cups of rice. 1 tablespoon of salt in the water. Cover. Bring to a boil. Add rice to boiling water, cover, let cook for 5 mins then lower heat to lowest possible setting. Open 2 cans of beans, drain all juices out of the cans, add to the rice and stir gently and thoroughly until beans are evenly distributed through the rice. Cover,. Let cook an additional maximum of 15 mins but check at the 10 min mark to see if rice is cooked. If it is close, turn the heat completely off and let the remaining heat do its work. If its done, dump everything into a bowl to get it out of the hot pot.

Found a nice and simple recipe for Mongolian-style beef stir fry that is super fast and easy after work. Get a pound of thin slices beef and saute. Once it is basically cooked, add to pan a sauce of:

-about a 1/3 cup brown sugar, less to taste
-about 1/2 cup soy sauce (add water to loosen sauce, but I like mine thick)
-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4+ tsp powdered ginger.

Bring to a boil until sauce thickens a bit (it will remain pretty watery, so sprinkle corn starch if you can get corn starch to not clump up).

Serve over rice, ramen, or rice noodles.

My consumption of frozen chicken strips for 'don't feel like cooking nights' has taken a drastic turn downward after I found this recipe.

Found a nice and simple recipe for Mongolian-style beef stir fry that is super fast and easy after work. Get a pound of thin slices beef and saute. Once it is basically cooked, add to pan a sauce of:

-about a 1/3 cup brown sugar, less to taste
-about 1/2 cup soy sauce (add water to loosen sauce, but I like mine thick)
-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4+ tsp powdered ginger.

Bring to a boil until sauce thickens a bit (it will remain pretty watery, so sprinkle corn starch if you can get corn starch to not clump up).

Serve over rice, ramen, or rice noodles.

My consumption of frozen chicken strips for 'don't feel like cooking nights' has taken a drastic turn downward after I found this recipe.
One of the pillars of my cooking is basically this, ie. cook meat in soy sauce. My current favourite recipe ATM is:

Put in pressure cooker:
  • 3 turkey drumsticks (£3/Kg). I use 3 as these fit well in the pressure cooker so most of the space is taken up by meat, so you do not need so much liquid. I tend to cook them from frozen.
  • 1 bottle of soy sauce, 250 ml or more to taste / wallet
  • 0.5 - 1 liter vegetable stock, as in the water that is left after cooking cabbage and turnips mostly.
  • Powdered garlic
  • Dried mixed herbs
Pressure cook for some hours, 4 is good but 1.5 would probably do.

Remove meat from liquid, and leave to cool. Put liquid back on stove and reduce to taste. You can go all the way to thick and sticky, but this will be very salty. Once the meat has cooled remove the calcified tendons.

It you do not go all the way to thick and sticky I will then cook a cabbage in some of the liquid, with some of the meat on top. I serve like this 'cos I do not eat carbs, but it would be great with rice or noodles.

Last edited:
8am and it's my turn to make dinner.
Tinned spaghetti on toast.
Because nothing's too good for the fancy woman who has been my companion for nearly 50 years!

I made jambalaya and cornbread.

The sausage was leftover beyond meat hot Italian I grilled last night. The chicken was a meatless analogue I fried in the pan and diced up.
IMG_20200719_230546.jpg

Made my wife some grilled lobster tails and stuffed jumbo shrimp for our wedding anniversary a few days back. Added some corn and potatoes boiled together in Old Bay, parsley and salt, along with a green salad with multi-color heirloom tomatoes and Canadian cucumbers. Everything came out great, although I have to admit that I parboiled the lobsters before grilling because I didn't want to put live lobsters on the grill.

Top Bottom