What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

I am fasting for a week, so for the occasion of our anniversary me and my girlfriend cooked something up together.

entree was buratta cheese (my favorite) with roasted champignon, vine tomatoes and good olive oil and toasted, home made white bread on the side

thinly sliced purple urkle eggplant filled with goat cheese and topped off with a black olive

main course: filet steak cooked blue rare on guac, sweet potato croquette, crunchy roasted bits of cauliflower, two kinds of seared mushrooms, mache with pomegranate and a lemon vinaigrette (this one I plated)

(and this one my girlfriend plated). I like hers more and vice versa.

shame about the blurry pic. she made an oldschool american style cherry pie for me, was absolutely heavenly.

best meal I've had in some time and now I'm starving and drooling :x

Last edited:
I swear to god I hate google photos so much. I already make the effort to put everything I want to post into a public album but still the links fail every time.

Made some Mapo Tofu, my favorite Chinese dish

Last edited:
I can see it and it looks great. Where do you get fresh basil this time of year. I have a plant growing in the bathroom, but I am unusual that way.

My wife did a fund raiser. Spaghetti, tossed salad and bead sticks of over 100 people. She did 90% of the food preparation herself. She crazy, but it raises a question.

When you prepare pasta and meat sauce, do you:
  1. add sauce ingredients to meat and cook,
  2. cook the sauce and meat separately, then cook to combine, or
  3. cook the sauce with meat separately and combine for service?
J

I grow basil, they have the plants already set up in the supermarket and you just take those home for a dollar. Usually lasts months, some longer. As for the fund raiser, that will heavily depend on whether there are vegetarians, no? usually I would keep marinara and meat separate, but clearly making the sauce in the pot your browned your meat in and deglazing it increases flavor, so for me it's always preferable

How do you fast for a week that involves eating so many delicious looking things? Also, how can I be invited to your next date?

I've been on the verge of quitting ever since the first day, but have powered through for now. Not one bite of anything solid, it's just water, tea and broth for me. My last meal wasthe mapo tofu, the other meal I had on friday. Fasting gets significantly worse when my girlfriend is cooking or I have to watch people eat, but I don't make a fuss about it.

If you're ever in Germany just drop me a message and we'll do a big cookout. You could wear a wig and uh.. well maybe let's discuss this elsewhere :mischief:

how is it even possible that it shows for some people and for others it doesnt? I have googled this phenomenon and it seems like dozens of people have trouble posting their stuff from google photos on forums :x

I can see it and it looks great. Where do you get fresh basil this time of year. I have a plant growing in the bathroom, but I am unusual that way.

My wife did a fund raiser. Spaghetti, tossed salad and bead sticks of over 100 people. She did 90% of the food preparation herself. She crazy, but it raises a question.

When you prepare pasta and meat sauce, do you:
  1. add sauce ingredients to meat and cook,
  2. cook the sauce and meat separately, then cook to combine, or
  3. cook the sauce with meat separately and combine for service?
J
Option 2

It depends on what kind of sauce. Usually with ground meat though you brown it then add the other stuff and let everything cook together.

Other sauces though like sunday meat sauce, you might roast the meat in the over, then let it simmer with tomatoes and broth, then remove it to chop it and readd the chopped meat later.

Chicken will over cook, but I want chicken juices in my sauce so I'll cook the chicken, remove to rest and cut up later, and then cook the sauce in the same pan.

My wife uses option 3. The sauce is only sauce and the meat is only meat and onion. Combine with warm noodles and serve.

J

I cook the sauce, then I throw in all the ingredients, giving them enough time to get in there.. including the meat. Then you let it simmer and stir, etc. It doesn't make sense to not add in the meat to the sauce to me, it's not going to absorb any part of the flavour. Assuming we are talking about ground beef or meatballs

Ground, meatballs or sausage would all be the same. It makes for a brighter flavor, since nothing blunts the acidity of the nearly fat free sauce. Herbs go in the sauce and aromatics in the meat. More herbs on top at service. Keeping them unmingled has its advantages.

Now I want some pasta with marinara served beside sausage and onions. Don't spare the grated cheese.

J

I had peanut butter on toasted whole wheat bread for dinner tonight. No pictures, sorry.

A food thread. Excellent.

I slapped together some hastily cooked rare beef strips with Maldon salt, some of my leftover BBQ rub and my own Szechuan sauce concoction. The latter consists of minced garlic and ginger, a finely chopped chilli, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, plum sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, a tiny dash of sesame oil, sweet and sour sauce, and a few decent lugs of barbecue sauce, the last also left over from my most recent mass cooking endeavours. The result is a lip-smacking unctuous ambrosia that combines sweet, sour and tangy with a hot aftertaste.

Got a few large functions for 100+ coming up, so I'll try to take some pictures and/or paint some with words

I made a slow cooker caldo de res more or less from a recipe my gf found. It turned out great, though (IMO) far from authentic. I don't think you see a whole lot of potatoes in authentic Mexican style. This struck me more as an Irish stew with Mexican spices, so I would have called it a 'fusion' dish.

My opinion on meat sauce: brown the meat then add it to everything else and cook. Don't be too diligent about draining the meat, and it's okay to have the sauce pot started then brown the meat and throw it in...it still counts as "cooking in" even if it isn't there at the first minute.

Simon. Long time no talk. You were going to come the top side partly incinerated muscle tissue, but got side tracked. Something about taking over the planet.

J

A food thread. Excellent.

I slapped together some hastily cooked rare beef strips with Maldon salt, some of my leftover BBQ rub and my own Szechuan sauce concoction. The latter consists of minced garlic and ginger, a finely chopped chilli, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, plum sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, a tiny dash of sesame oil, sweet and sour sauce, and a few decent lugs of barbecue sauce, the last also left over from my most recent mass cooking endeavours. The result is a lip-smacking unctuous ambrosia that combines sweet, sour and tangy with a hot aftertaste.

Got a few large functions for 100+ coming up, so I'll try to take some pictures and/or paint some with words

sounds amazing, but why does your szechuan sauce have no szechuan pepper (or szechuan pepper oil) in it? that's kind of the point :lol:

I thought that would go without saying; Szechuan pepper is the foundation ingredient.

onejayhawk, eventually even world domination becomes boring, so that one shifts to barbecue.

Top Bottom