What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

I made ceviche the other night and spred it on toast as lunch and dinner for two days. Who knew? Well peruvians knew all along off course. Love it. Fantastico. Bellissimo. Etc.

Last edited:
I made sliders today for work. They were very simple--chicken tenders, bacon, avocado, and cucumber ranch dressing on Hawaiian rolls. It's too bad the sides were simple green salad, and tea or soda.

I also found another corn side dish recipe. It's a take on a traditional Cajun dish called

Maque Choux
4 ears roasted corn, removed from cob
4 rashers (strips) bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell bepper, chopped or jullienned
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
Cajun spice mix
1/2 cup cream or half and half

Crisp bacon, crumble and set aside. Pour off fat retaining 1 Tbsp
In same pan, wilt onion, celery, and peppers in retained bacon fat, deglacing the pan
Add corn and crumbled bacon, then heat through
Season to taste with Cajun spice, up to 1 Tbsp
Remove from heat and stir in cream
For extra color, use red bell pepper. If the mix is very dry, add some stock. Traditional Maque Choux uses only stock and no cream. You could use 2 1/2 - 3 cups frozen corn, just toss in a hot skillet, to steam off excess moisture and begin caramelization.

Cajun spice is a blend of salt, garlic, red and black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Here is one online mix.

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika.
2 tablespoons salt.
2 tablespoons garlic powder.
1 tablespoon black pepper.
1 tablespoon onion powder.
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano.
1 tablespoon dried thyme.
J

Last edited:
Texas caviar is like mountain oysters, ie nothing to do with fish. It's a cold corn and bean salad/relish. This one has a spicy vinaigrette that would make a good marinade.

Caviar
1 can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
jalapeno peppers to taste, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
2 ears fresh sweet corn removed from husks
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 very ripe avocado, mashed
Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp (pony) rum or tequila
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1-2 tsp cumin
S&P and cayenne powder to taste

Combine and serve​

There are two ways to fix this. The first is to use the corn fresh. Remove husk and cut from the cob. Serve as quickly as possible since the sugars turn to starch. To cook either microwave or roast. Roasting is straightforward. Cool and remove from the cob.

Using a microwave is my preferred corn on the cob method after roasting. Get the corn as fresh as possible and leave the husk on. Heat two ears 4 minutes, turn over, and heat 90 more seconds, more or less time depending on your microwave. Be careful peeling back the husk, since this will steam the corn. The silk will slide off easily. For the recipe, cool and cut as before.

J

Last edited:
Sushi with leftover carrots and grilled corn. I added vinegar to the rice cooking water this time and used canned shrimp and octopus to fill it out. I only sliced the rolls in half to make it easier to eat by hand at the park and to help them stay together while we biked along a sand-swept wash that took us to the park.

I like texas caviar a lot, but never had it with avacado in it.

Do you guys know how to tend herbs? My herb garden is taking off and the basil is starting to flower and I don't know whether to cut it off or not. If I'm not using that much compared to how fast it's growing should I be actively pruning it? Same for oregano and thyme but those aren't flowering.

My cilantro bolted fast like crazy. I guess it's way too hot out for it, been 90s past two weeks. I think it's beyond saving. I'll still use it but it's not growing many more leaves, just flowers now.

The avocado blends with the dressing and smooths things. You can use it in all sorts of salad, including fruit salad.

You cannot stop basil from flowering. The small leaves at the base of the flower are the sweetest. Let the basil grow, because it is very tender. Plan to freeze the excess when fall comes. Cilantro bolts so fast it's not worth the trouble and it's cheap to buy. Unless you want seed, let it go.

J

I've cooked two meals today, which is better than usual. Weekends are great like that.

First one was buckwheat pancakes for brunch. I remembered a month ago how my grandpa always liked them, but it had been so long since I'd had them that I didn't remember what they tasted like. So I bought some buckwheat and found a recipe. This was the second time I made them. The recipe called for buttermilk, and the first time I didn't have it. This time I found I needed eggs, so I went to the store and bought buttermilk too. Without it, they were fairly flat compared to regular pancakes. With it, they're just as fluffy. The taste is pretty much the same; the buckwheat gives it a nutty flavor, which I like, and it goes well with jam, maple syrup, or by itself.

For dinner, I made a tuna steak and oven-roasted potatoes. Aimed for medium on the steak, wound up at medium-well, but still good. Added dill, parsley, and marjoram to the potatoes, and while they were a tad dry, the flavor was fairly good. Overall a pretty good dinner. Have leftover potatoes for tomorrow, and enough to make another batch later in the week.

I made tamales last night. The dough was from scratch but I bought Jack Daniel's pulled pork for the filling since I didn't have the time to do a proper roast. They were supposed to give me enough leftovers for the whole week but they'll be gone by this afternoon. Currently mulling over making a second batch.

second one of the rice dish works. First one doesn't.

I haven't made anything of particular significance lately, just brined and grilled a bunch of chicken breast with salt, pepper, olive oil to eat for lunches throughout the week. It's nice and versatile, make a sandwich or a wrap or a quesadilla, or put in a salad.

I made tamales last night. The dough was from scratch but I bought Jack Daniel's pulled pork for the filling since I didn't have the time to do a proper roast. They were supposed to give me enough leftovers for the whole week but they'll be gone by this afternoon. Currently mulling over making a second batch.
We made a second batch.

I have been grilling peaches. It's very difficult to keep them from sticking, which leaves the best part attached to the grill. A broiler overcooks the fruit before the sugars caramelize. Has anyone had luck using direct flame? What about avocadoes?

J

I have grilled pineapple slices a lot, but not peaches. I haven't but it sounds like a good idea! Online say it's not hard so I would ask. How clean is your grill grate? What heat are you using? Did you oil the peach or grate? Are you grilling halves or slices?

I don't really believe in cooked avocado other than battered and fried avocado fries which are good, but not as good as they sound. It's just one of those foods you don't really cook, like cucumbers (pickling of course the exception but no one grills cucumber) or kiwi.

Since it's summer for those of us in the northern hemisphere, and a good topic, what are some other non meat foods to try and grill, aside from the usual suspects? Like every I would assume has done veggies like corn, asparagus, zucchini squash, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions. I've done broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in foil packets but no directly on the grill.

I like grilled romaine. Cut a heart in half lengthwise. You want a really hot grill so it gets charred on the outside but doesn't cook and get mushy. Grill is for like a minute or two, just til the edges char. Then it's like burnt crunchy lettuce. You can chop up or just serve and cut as you eat, put whatever dressing or seasoning you want on it. Sometimes I use salt and pepper and a tiny bit of olive oil. Sometimes Caesar dressing.

You can probably grill any other vegetable that doesn't fall through the grates. Maybe eggplant? I hear eggplant is really bitter if you don't prep it right.

Grilled apple slices? Pears?

Last edited:
The heat is possibly the issue since it's electric. Fish sticks, why wouldn't fruit? I have visions of a glowing cattle brand searing the peach. Winn Dixie did something similar in a commercial once.

What do you serve on grilled pineapple? I have heard a caramel hard sauce suggested.

J

Nothing, we just eat it plain like a side with fish usually, sometimes I'll cut it up and serve over the fish. Or with chicken, usually kebabs. You could just put the pineapple on the kebab too. I have sprinkled cinnamon on it before though.

We got the idea from a Brazilian steak house/churrascaria. One of the giant skewers they walked around with was a whole pineapple with the peel cut off that was roasted on a spit. They'd cut off the roasted outside right onto your plate, then I'm assuming threw it back on the roaster for the next round, kind of like gyro meat on a spit.

These are fried, so I have not tried them. The recipe assumes you have a cast iron skillet to serve as the fryer. I am posting this as an excuse to post the picture.

Bottle Caps

3 fresh jalapeno peppers sliced into rings
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs
4 ounces light beer
2 to 3 cups peanut oil enough to cover the battered jalapeno peppers

Heat the oil in a large pan to medium heat. Do not let it boil.
In a large bowl, mix flour, garlic, paprika, S&P. Mix well.
Beat eggs into a batter.
Stir in the beer.
Dry sliced jalapenos with paper towels.
In batches, coat the sliced peppers in the batter and fry til golden, about 5-6 minutes.
Drain on paper towels and serve.

We use beer batter for deep fried cod in the restaurant. It's the most delicious thing in the world- A tortilla, some kohl, the cod, a generous portion of smoky chipotle mayo, some pico de gallo, cilantro and lime juice. One of the perfect summer snacks.

Top Bottom