1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's all this about civs with multiple leaders?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Homusubi, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

I keep hearing that some civs will have a choice of leaders, or something along those lines, but it's not in the big features sticky. Can someone explain the situation to me?

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Initial game releases with 18 civs, 1 leader per civ. However, the way civs and leaders are designed makes many people suspect what developers plan or consider some DLCs with additional leaders.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Wanton speculation, I'm afraid.

4. StrideColossus

StrideColossus Warlord

To elaborate: the uniques for a civ are now split between the leader and the 'nation', e.g. Teddy Roosevelt gets Bit Stick, Rough Rider, etc. whereas USA gets the fighter UU, Film Studio UB, etc.

So it's possible that there could in future be multiple leaders for the same civ with different unique abilities, units, etc. either as DLC and/or community mods.

5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

They were split in Civ5 too, but the split was formal. In Civ6 the split is real and is based on the specialization.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Civ6 will have 1 leader per civ. However, the unique bonuses are split where some bonuses come from your civ and some bonuses come from your leader. This has caused a lot of speculation that multiple leaders per civ may be added later since the game seems to be designed to support it.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

There's also the fact that the Deluxe edition specifically mentions scenarios, maps, civilizations, leaders.

Further putting the fire in our .. whatever.

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

actually it was

scenarios, maps, civilizations and leaders.

Which makes sense because every time you add a civ you add a leader.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Well, anyway I'm pretty sure we'll not have any information on DLC at least until release.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Yeah. People are being carried away with wishful thinking.

11. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

I think it's the logical conclusion rather than wishful thinking. I believe past DLC taglines did not make the distinction between civilizations and leaders, and the split between leader uniques and civilization uniques is completely meaningless otherwise. Why bother?

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Civ 5 had a split between leader+civ uniques.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they announced some of the CivV DLC as bringing new civs+leaders.

13. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

I'd say it's more than merely "wishful thinking", but it's not a certainty, either. There's plenty of evidence to suggest they're going to implement such a feature, at least in DLC, but that evidence is not conclusive.

14. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

Honestly I think they are making the split for the potential of multiple leaders and civs. However they are hedging their bets on the likely possibility that making multiple leaders is too hard or not worth it versus more civs. That way they never over promise :p . I bet were thinking of the same thing in civ Five. That's why ther was a slight but never clear separation in civs and leaders

15. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

While not certain by any means, it is much more than wishful thinking as others have already noted.

When has Civ ever had a Civ without a leader? Therefore, if the Deluxe edition promises new Civs and Leaders then the logical conclusion is that there will be multiple leaders for at least some of the Civs.

16. darko82

darko82 Emperor

As long as there are a lot of interesting civs, I don't care about it.

17. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Just because A always comes with B doesn't stop marketing from saying "with A and B!!!"

I think they are keeping their options open, but I doubt they have any 2nd leaders planned.

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Might as well advertise that each Civ will be able to build military units and be able to control them, as well. :p

I think that they already have the 2nd leaders designed for some of the Civs. :)

Anyway, we shall see but a return to multiple leaders would be an excellent move.

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

My best guess is that vanilla will only have one leader per civ, but that either some DLC or the first expansion will introduce a second leader to some civs.

In the mean time, this does make it relatively easy for a modder to make a mod with a different leader for an existing civ.

20. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Hang on... I've just thought of something. City lists are determined by the civ rather than the leader, right? So if we see a city list which is very reminiscent of the civ at the time of the announced leader, it means that there is less chance of another leader for the same civ.

To some extent, we already have this, as we know that Xi'an is the first city in the Chinese list, rather than Beijing or Nanjing. A stronger piece of evidence against multiple leaders would be if the Japanese capital was announced as Kamakura (Hojo Tokimune's seat of power) rather than Kyoto or Tokyo.