1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's first?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Wars Mod' started by Popcornlord, May 6, 2008.

?

Which one?

1. Invasion of Naboo

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Clone Wars

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Early Galactic Civil War

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Late Galactic Civil War

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. Jedi Civil War Era

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. I'd rather not do a scenerio

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

Right now, we need something to work on. I think we can avoid having this mod die, again, by starting small. I suggest we start with a scenerio. We can start small, just a war or two, and expand from there. From what I read here and my own suggestions here's our options:
    1. Invasion of Naboo: Don't Vote For this. We already agreed we'd do it first. Vote for what you want Second, even though it'd probably going to be Clone Wars
    2. Clone Wars: I recommend this. Not to long, mayby a little short. Plus it has jedi!
    3. Early Galactic Civil War (rise of rebellion to battle of endor or yavin): This is another one I suggest. If I can export them from EAW, we'll have a lot of textures and models for it.
    4. Late Galactic Civil War: Battle of endor or yavin till end of war. This is one of the more popular eras, so I think I should include it.
    5. Jedi Civil War Era: The general time around the Jedi Civil War. This is one of the more popular eras, so I think I should include it.
    6. Other: Post your suggestion and I'll add it!

Please post any comments, thoughts, etc.

2. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Could you refresh my memory on the Jedi Civil War please? I have the info somewhere. But not in my dorm room. When did it happen? Where? How and why did it start? Etc.

Thanks, man.

3. Popcornlord

Wookiepedia Entry:
    Spoiler :
    The Jedi Civil War, also known as the Second Sith War, the Old Republic Insurrection, and by the Mandalorians as the War of the Star Forge, was a devastating conflict that began when the Jedi Knight Revan, who had led the forces of the Galactic Republic to victory in the Mandalorian Wars, founded a new Sith Empire and declared himself the Dark Lord of the Sith. The war began when he, along with his friend and apprentice, Darth Malak, led an invasion of the Galactic Republic in the year 3,959 BBY. With the aid of veterans from the Mandalorian Wars and a host of Dark Jedi converts that had served with them, the former Jedi hoped to take over the Republic in anticipation of a greater threat, that posed by the True Sith who lurked within the Unknown Regions of the galaxy.

During the war Darth Revan nearly succeeded in conquering the Republic, however, a trap set by the Jedi and unwittingly abated by Malak left him comatose, with his mind nearly destroyed. Barely alive, he was taken from the wreckage by Bastila Shan, whose skills in battle meditation and the Force had allowed the mission to happen. Taken to the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine, Revan was healed by the Jedi Council and reprogrammed to believe that he was an agent loyal to the Republic and placed under the command of Bastila, who was then placed aboard the Endar Spire. In 3,956 BBY, with the intention of drawing out Revan's fragmented memories of the Star Forge, the vast space station that was the source of the seemingly endless resources of the Sith, he was taken to the ecumenopolis of Taris where a Sith fleet under the direct command of Malak was waiting in ambush.

Eventually escaping from Taris, Revan, along with Bastila, Carth Onasi, and several others, fled to the Dantooine academy, where the Jedi Masters there retrained him. After several weeks, the Dantooine council sent him and the crew of the Ebon Hawk back out into the wider galaxy to track down the Star Forge's location, at the heart of the ancient Infinite Empire of the Rakata. Later, after a number of ancient Star Maps had been uncovered, Malak led an attack against the Enclave, devastating it and further crippling the Jedi Order. After finding the last Star Map and, from it, deducing the location of the Rakatan homeworld of Lehon, Revan, the Jedi, and the Republic launched the war's final battle. With Malak dead, the Star Forge destroyed, and the Sith fleet scattered and defeated, the long and costly war came to an end.

It lasted from 3,959 to 3,956 BBY and was the Old Republic + Jedi against the Sith Empire, led by the corrupted jedi Darth Revan and Malak. More information here:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Civil_War
    The Mandalorian Wars are also part of that era.

4. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

Cool. Thank you very much. Appreciate it.

5. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

I voted for the Clone Wars, BUT I think we should at least make the Naboo scenario by 'Sam playable first.

6. Popcornlord

He made one? Where is it?

7. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

That sounds cool. To reiterate Popcornlord, where is it?

8. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

On his hard drive AFAIK. Once he gets around to uploading, we'll work on it.

Also, rocklikeafool, do you want to join the team?

9. Civmansam

Civmansam King

That's true. I could upload it, but I don't know where I should.

And it has a way to go before its playable. All I have really done is the scenario set up, terrain and Civilizations and techs. And there is still errors on loading. So its your choice whether you want to continue it or not.

10. Popcornlord

I'd like to see it first. So yes to upload, mayby to continuing it.

11. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

I'd be interested, but I'll warn you that I'll need to learn some code. I'm currently learning XML. I'm gonna learn SDK next. So, atm, all I can really contribute would be ideas, pedia entries, and research.

12. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

Baby steps, my friends; I recommend doing Naboo first specifically because it's short. Anyone who's taken a programming class or coursebook, back me up: The first things you create are a couple of programmes that use the most-basic functions in the most-basic routines, to make sure you have a handle on the fundamentals; since we'd be implementing a few things fundamentally unusual for Civ, I'd recommend creating the smallest useful testbed possible.

13. Popcornlord

@Duneflower: We're probably going to do that first. I didn't realize he had an unfinished one when I posted the pole.

14. Duneflower

Duneflower Warlord

*nod* I figured, reading through the preceding posts; I posted my opinion because my reasoning was different. ;)

15. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

So, wat kinda units can we expect?

16. moopoo

moopoo King

I voted for Naboo :) (even if Sam's scenario proves to be unusable for whatever reason)

My reasoning:
    1) I think the best way to go for the mod would be to create a couple of scenarios from different periods of the SW timeline, and then string them together. That way each scenario will have it's own small set of art and coding, and as such will be better for goal-setting

2) I think we should start with scenarios from the movies, where everyone knows more or less what happens, who's involved, and where it is and what it looks like

EDIT: Let's try to stay away from Jar Jar if we can though :D

17. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

LOL! LMAO!

Agreed. His voice would get annoyin and he's useless for a purpose like this.

18. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

How come? Great General Jar Jar should totally be in! :lol:

19. moopoo

moopoo King

hahaha Oh yeah!!!

He could have a special promotion: Dumb Luck - increases odds of unit winning by 20%, out of sheer dumb-ass luck :D

20. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

LOL!

Honestly tho, his voice makes me violent. Like I wanna choke General Jar Jar.