1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a Stack of Doom?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Dicky_Mint, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Dicky_Mint

Dicky_Mint Chieftain

I was playing Romans (Noble) on a huge terra map last night. In the "Old World", I'm pinned in a corner with Japan to my South and West, sea to my East and ice to my North.
    As you can imagine, I've had any number of wars with Japan, and have taken a few cities off them, but they remain quite strong, so I,ve made peace.

One of the cities I've taken from him (Chicago - he must have captured it himself) is still touching his cultural boundaries. It was well defendend (about 12 riflemen, 6 cannons and some cavalry).

I'm at peace with everybody, but can't get out of my land because Japan won't open its borders, and has refused to do so for the whole game, as usual.

I suddenly notice that Monty has moved some units next to Chicago. I mouse-over it - it's a SOD. Many grenadiers, cannons and cavalry - and the infamous ...

OK, so I know there's lots there - but I can't find anyway of finding out how much. This really pisses me off - I moved as many units as I could spare into the city - so I also got a ... at the end of my stack.

Of course, what I needed to know was who had the best ...! You can't click on his elipsis to see what's there.

As if I wasn't in enough trouble, I couldn't use my cannons on him without declaring war on Japan - and the last thing I wanted was a japanese SOD showing up to help him.

As expected, next turn Monty declares war and attacks. That was really frustrating - I could get no real idea of how the battle was progressing as I didn't know how many units he had, or how many I had left at any time. It was just 5 minutes of individual battles (with me just hoping for it to end).

It turned out that his stack was strong enough to take the city, but only just - he had 4 units left, which he moved in. :cry:

I really hope the next patch deals with these 2 issues - how to see what's in a large Stack of Doom, and a way to see what's happening in these pitched battles - how many attackers and defenders are left as the battle progresses.

2. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

try to bribe someone into attacking monty now so you can get some breathing room, then take out japan

3. Danghis Khan

Danghis Khan Your Friendly Pillager

Use the military advisor. Deselect every leader but Monty and you'll be able to see a list of all his units within your range of visibility, scroll over each unit and it gives location on the map.

4. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Agreed, there really ought to be an easy way to see into a SoD. I think there should be a feature you can use to list just the gross numbers (like when you select multiple units).