1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats is wrong with this? (Spearman vs Tank)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by FrenchToast, Jun 21, 2003.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast Chieftain

I cant believe this. I was germany (personally there my fav.) and I was in a war with india. I sent in a couple of panzers while he only had spearmen. Anyways, I sent some tanks to go and raid the city with a defending spearman and lost 2 of them to one spearman!? Anyways, has this happened to anyone else here on the forum?:mad:

2. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

:lol:

"The Spearman" strikes again!

3. Mullet Crusader

Mullet Crusader Celtic Warrior

This is a fairly common occurence ;) It all depends on variables but a spearman fighting tanks has like, 1 in 16 chance of winning, or something.

4. Grille

Grille panel insect

It's not that unusual (I have to admit, 2 losses in a row is unusual!), since combat results are based on RNG. In fact, the "spear vs tank dilemma" has become some kind of civ3 trauma... :lol:

This special smily is found on the upload server:

5. Kaiser_Berger

Kaiser_Berger Terran Emporer

:lol:

That smiley is great.

6. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

lol! Chance strikes again! Happens to everyone, wlecome to the club.

7. Grille

Grille panel insect

Yep, it's a great one. I was just visiting a Site Feedback thread before I noticed this spear vs tank thread. Elden posted that smiley there. It was initially created by Crazy Eddie, IPRC.

IPRC=if Padma remembered correctly ;)

8. Dynamic Cow

Dynamic Cow Moo

one day we will figure out how that spearman deafeats that tank... one day.

9. Raidne

Raidne Chieftain

It happen to many people here. I think the spearman, if he gets 100% defence bonus, he will win 1 out of 5 battles with the tank (4 vs 16) so, the chance of that happenning is actually very high... I think this is a serious issue to address...

10. connor

connor Highlander

Those Indian spearmen must have been using their new depleted uranium sabot spears. Tanks don't stand a chance against those! :rocket2: :rocket2:

11. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

The super-spearman has become such a part of Civ3 lore, that one person even wrote a story about him. Check out The Spearman in the Stories and Tales forum. ;)

12. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

You gotta figure he climbed on top of the tank, pried the hatch open and stabbed the driver to death while the tank was reloading. Perhaps he was a track runner before he took up the javelin?

13. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

The Tank vs. Spearman legend is as old as the game itself, and has been debated in these forums countless times. It's kind of funny, since just the other day I was thinking I hadn't seen the legend rear its head in awhile... then I saw this thread.

Where's Zouave when you need him?

14. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

It has actually never happend to me(and I've play many, many games) Maybe I'm just lucky.

15. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

That particular one has never occured to me either, but I wouldn't miss the chance to mention, in a thread like this, when my Elite Cav unit took out a Veteran Mechanized Infantry fortified in a metro, without taking any damage.

16. Civrules

Civrules We the People

The problem is that we humans upgrade and build better units while the AI dose not. If we had only spearman and a little luck (yes the AI has luck as well as we) maybe we will one day defeat that tank of the AI.

17. trumpeteer

trumpeteer Player of Trumpet

Welcome to the Civ world. Losing a tank to a spearman is your CivIII Baptism.:lol:

18. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Chieftain

CAn't tell you how close I came to baldness tearing out hair when this happened:lol:

19. trumpeteer

trumpeteer Player of Trumpet

Hey! You copied that smilie off the end of my post!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:IN YOUR FACE!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Smilie Chorus of Doom!!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!!! :lol:

Moderator Action: trumpeteer, don't post mutiple times in quick succession. It is spam (like this post) and will be dealt with. As for your 100th post, I just deleted it. Now you get to enjoy hitting that 100 mark again. --Padma
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. Catt

Catt Chieftain

"The Spearman" is truly part of Civ lore. I've still never had it happen to me in all my games. However, I did once experience an even rarer occurence (according to the math) -- I attacked a veteran rifleman unfortified on grassland with a 16 or 17 HP undamaged cavalry army. The valiant rifleman forced my army to retreat with 1 HP remaining, having taken no damage whatsoever. It wasn't a true defeat as my army retreated, but let's just say that the army retreated in shame back to a nearby city. ;) The RNG can do surprising things to you . . . grit your teeth, resume the attack, and bring overwhelming force :)