IglooDame

Enforcing Rule 34
Supporter
Retired Moderator
Some of us are checking things off their bucket list, and I'm curious what y'all have on yours.

For mine:
-Countrywide road trip, stopping at and touring every battleship/carrier/cruiser museumship in the US.
-Visit Africa and Antarctica, the two continents I haven't yet made it to.
-Learn to scuba dive
-Get a private pilot's license (as a goal line for "learn to fly a plane")
-Get a motorcyclist license (as a goal line for "learn to drive a motorcycle")

I don't really have any. Or, at least I don't have experiences that I 'want' to have before I die, where death is the clock. Like, when I was younger I wanted to scuba a specific location. But I wanted to do it after I reached a certain threshold wrt to other goals in my life. If I found out that I was under some shorter timeframe, it's not like I'd hurry up to do 'that thing' before I died.
I have goals and I've got a predictable lifespan. I don't think I'll re-order the goals if the prediction changes. Er, much. Like, planning my estate is something that I might do sooner than later if the time horizons change.

No bucket list. Those became a thing after I aged out of keeping score. I do want to travel and there are lots of interesting places to go.

I would like to visit Skara Brae.

For trips, I have
- Italy, Rome, Pompeji, Herculaneum
- Greece (TBD)
- Egypt, Pyramids, Sphinx, etc.
- Disneyland
- Legoland
At least that's what's more or less precisely in my mind. Would do a lot more, but money and time...

For other things:
- relationship again
- I'd like to get to the regular weight lift "limit" of 2 times body weight for squat and deadlift
- watch a sports game in a stadium

I did have the motor driving license on the list, but I realized that I'd never use it, and that it's then also rather dangerous, so this would be a waste.

I do not have one. I used to think there was no point in pursuing anything.

Now that I have taken on a more long-term outlook, I am of the mind that I know my lifespan is reduced but it is uncertain just how much.

The issue is that the things I want most are not things you specifically pursue. They are states of mind, circumstances of chance. So I am generally taking care of myself, as that is a prerequisite for having those things, but there is no "Do X and receive Y" to be had here.

In general, I am not sure I derive much from experiences unless they are shared with another. Left entirely alone, I tend to be perfectly content sitting in the corner of an empty room. I can see the appeal of experiences, but actually having them... Meh?

I want to visit Baghdad and the Malwiya Mosque in Samarra (spiral minaret). There’s a lot of other places I want to visit but these 2 places are what I’m thinking about lately. I’d like to see Babylonian ruins but there aren’t any particular that stand out to me except Ctesiphon.

My list was always short -- visit the Southwest, ride a horse, ride in a hot-air balloon. I'm only missing the balloon. I second @E.man 's comment about doing things as soon as possible: I was effectively disabled for most of the last year because of a medical illness that a transplant has now allowed me to recover from. It could have very well been a life sentence.

I actually just added a new one as of two days ago. I was driving by a bakery. Not a small mom and pop bakery, an industrial bakery, with 18-wheelers rolling in to be loaded up with bread and buns and such.

I want some time to live downwind of a bakery like that.

My main other one is to go that that place in the southwest that's furthest away from light pollution and look at the night sky.

My list was always short -- visit the Southwest, ride a horse, ride in a hot-air balloon. I'm only missing the balloon. I second @E.man 's comment about doing things as soon as possible: I was effectively disabled for most of the last year because of a medical illness that a transplant has now allowed me to recover from. It could have very well been a life sentence.
As it turns out part of my world trip from Australia was to hire a car in Denver and drive around the desert in AZ, NM.

They're a little small. I'll take a dozen.

Top Bottom