1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's so great about those immortals again?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by sabo, Jun 4, 2003.

1. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I'm playing Persia for the first time in a long time and I know alot of people out there loves those immortals, what's the difference between them and medevil infantry that your opponents have, besides the one extra defence. Does this really make for any kind of advantage?

2. pdescobar

pdescobar Moo, baby. Moo.

Immortals are 4/2/1, cost 30, and available with Iron Working. They are an alternative to 3/2/1 swordsmen.

MedInf are also 4/2/1 but cost 40 and aren't available until Feudalism in the next era.

3. Darzee

Darzee Chieftain

I think Immortals are meant to be invaluable in the ancient ages, before medieval infantries come around. Four attack in this age can take out the fortified spearmen with relative ease.

4. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

Medieval Infantry doesn't come until the Middle Ages. Until then, the Immortal is the most powerful offensive unit in the Ancient Era. They key is to utilize as many of them before your opponents make it to the Middle Ages, especially to musketmen. At that point, the advantage is completely offset.

5. Ville

Ville Deity

Extra defence?
    Well, you get Immortals earlier than Medieval Infantrys and you can attack spearmans with no worries of losing;)

6. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Well in this particular game I bee-lined for literature so I could build the GL, once I started building it I turned my science way down so by the time it got built and I got all those free techs Mr. AI already had fuedalism and Med-evils, oh well at least he doesn't have chivarly yet ;)

oops, and your right, his defense is only 2 not 3.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

You start with Bronze Working

You should have researched IW first

Then you would have Immortals long before your opponents

Immortals are better than Med Inf, because they are cheaper

8. Punkymonkey

Punkymonkey Aspiring Archaeologist

If you look at history i think that the hoplite unit should get extra bonus vs. the immortals because of how badly the Persian army failed to conquer Greece because of their inadequate arms. Immortals carry wicker shields and flimsy lances while hoplites carry heavy wooden shield covered in bronze and bronze armor while immortals had light mail. I guess what i'm saying is it would be cool if traditional enemies can have bonuses against each other. BTW-I read this book called Gates of Fire--awesome!!!!! It's about the battle of Thermopylae through the eyes of a spartan helot (slave-class). It full of really cool battles and vivid description. I did a paper on the accuracies and inaccuracies of the book for an archaeology class of mine and it was tough to find inaccuracies. Really well-written.

9. Gainy

Gainy Guest

...I got my first conquest victory due to Immortals :) They are good :thumbsup:

10. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

11. WildFire

WildFire amour

Immortals + the Persians is a deadly combo espcially online because it scares people to be next to actual humans who know how to use them.

12. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Your strategy should be to make a beeline for iron working and then crank out the Immortals. You have to go to war early to make good use of them otherwise they are wasted.

13. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

I just finished my bestgame with the persians...and all because of the immortals :D

14. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I disagree, it is best to have a war in the ancient ages, but they are still useful in Meideval times (especially in forest/mountain/hills/jungles)

15. Rhino Ryan

Rhino Ryan Is a Fuganshna Lover

Then why is you Avarta (Whatever it is called) is a legionary???

:confused:
    :crazyeye:

16. ThePrankMonkey

ThePrankMonkey mowing em' down!

see with the immortal i usually wind up getting into a war with xerxes because he's rather smug with immortals while i have spearmen. but i usually fortify my positions well and he doesnt do much damage to me. as a result i have a long standing hateful relationship with xerxes. he thinks he has the advantage with immortals (and he usually builds them in great numbers!) but its his tactics that cause him to fail every time. its a good unit for its time and even a little after its time but i blast through the ancient age before he gets much of a chance to really come at me with his hordes of immortals.

although i dont see much use in a UU. i play japan exclusively (i just do, dont ask why) and i havent made a single samurai in the past 20 games or so. then again i rely on defensive units until industrial age then i go for offensive units starting with tanks.

17. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I could argue that the Samurai is the best defensive unit till Riflemen comes around - unlike Musketmen, they negate the retreat ability of attackers.

18. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

Having just had my ass totally kicked by Dr Alimentado in a PBEM where he was playing as the Persians, I can testify to the power of the immortals. Iron working is the only tech you'll ever need as the Persians - by the time the Immo has outlived its usefulness, your empire will be big enough to take on anyone.

19. mazzz

mazzz Emperor

plus the Immortals are the coolest looking unit!

20. Reconcile

Reconcile Chieftain

Nahh,the Samurai are cooler:goodjob: