What's that sound?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MickeyD, Nov 20, 2006.

1. MickeyD

MickeyD Chieftain

Does anyone else find the sound(s) for "First to___" kinda creepy?:eek: Like, when I am or the AI is the first to circumnavigate the globe or the first to discover liberalism, that sound, while alerting, is also unnerving. Does anyone else find this so? Also, is there a way to mod the sound to something else for all of these "first' events? Thanks! -MickeyD

2. abuaftab

abuaftab Warlord

I wish the name of wave file so that I could edit it. I find this noise really disturbing too.

3. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

:lol: I know. It sounds like I unwittingly participated in a séance when it happens.

4. Diamond

Diamond Chieftain

Look in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds for:

FirstToTech.wav
    GlobeCircumnavigated.wav
    GlobalWarming.wav

They are all the same sound. I would think you could replace these files with whatever sound you want. It's probably better to put the new files in the corresponding custom assets folder though.

5. MickeyD

MickeyD Chieftain

Thanks Diamond for the info! I'll find another wav file to replace those with. Later! -MickeyD

6. Goldfish4209

Goldfish4209 Chieftain

I also find this sound really disturbing. Appropriate for global warming, but the other stuff really needs to be replaced.

7. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

Heh now that you mention it, that sound does put a chill down my back.

8. abuaftab

abuaftab Warlord

It gives me nightmares.

9. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

It is pretty disturbing. But the most disturbing sound was that burst of static caused by a SAM Infantry yawning in warlords (fixed in patch)

10. Kiefer

Kiefer Chieftain

TOtally. I've had that randomly happen when flying over oceans, and it scared me because I used headphones with a high volume level. Felt like a screamer!

11. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Speaking of sounds, I like the war horn - very nice! And I don't understand why most common buildings have sounds, but important "national wonders" don't. It makes every harbor and grocerie 'sound' more relevant than hardly-built Forbidden Palaces and Oxford Universities...

Cheers,

Mad Hab

12. ollj

ollj Warlord

13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Sorry to revive this thread and this might possibily warrant a new thread but: don't you find some of the modern era music to be extremely soul-wrenching as well? I mean that in a good way because I really like it, especially Chairman Dances, Anfortas Wound and Tromba Lontana. But man are they spooky. You go through the somewhat light-hearted and pleasant music of the other eras and then suddenly get hit with these incredibly deeply stirring pieces. I think some of the developers must have been quite attached to them.

14. Leeksoup

Leeksoup Pope Lazius

My personal favorite Modern music is the music that plays once I nuke someone. It sounds so... melancholy... like, doomsday...

Sweet.