1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the appeal of drugs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bast, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

To begin with, I've completely given up alcohol. I mean I only ever drank during birthdays and christmas parties anyway. However, I have smoked tobacco and marijuana a couple of times in my teens but have never really felt the need to try them again.

So what's the appeal of drugs? Tell me. Because I don't get it. At least, not anymore. :confused: I understand that yes it appeals to young people. I did go to high school. But I'm assuming that most of the drug problems in western countries right now are not just with young people. So why are some people addicted to it while others just grow out of it?

2. McManus

McManus Thinkers friend

Never did understand how people get the urge for drugs.

Then again, I'm addicted to chocolate :p

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

So those are the two options eh? You're either addicted, or you stop using them. Herein lies your confusion. To answer your question, I'm going to ask one.

Do you have a favourite dish? Or do you like chocolate or something along those lines.

If so, tell me ... why?

4. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I don't have a favorite dish, just a few things I like. Yes, I like chocolate but I know when to stop so I can keep my figure or else eat and pay the price at the gym.

I've been on prescription painkillers that make me feel "good". But I know that they're not good for me and throw them away when I'm done.

It's about knowing when to stop. So I guess my question is why don't someone know when to stop?

5. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

Not all people have good self-control. MY GOD THAT WAS EASY

6. Ziggy Stardust

Still thinking in the binary: addicted vs non-addicted, mindset I see.

I just simply asked: "why do you like chocolate?". Because it tastes good. But why does it? Because you enjoy it. But whyyyyyyy? :D

This is simply it. People use drugs because they enjoy it. People eat chocolate because they enjoy it. Why? Because it triggers the right triggery brain thingies which make people feel joy.
    Because they do not want to stop. Reason can be addiction, but also simply because they like smoking a joint. Or drinking a beer. Or eating chocolate. Maybe because they enjoy the taste, or enjoy the buzz they get, or enjoy the venue where people do those things.

7. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

Maybe they should rename it the War on No Self Control? :crazyeye: We should be looking into what makes some people say okay I like this but it's enough for me because it damages me and those people who doesn't think like that.

That makes no sense at all nor is it helpful to understanding the issue.

8. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It's called education, but there is tons of it, and yet people still use drugs. Why? Because of the chemical effect it has on people, or due to the social setting it is used in, or any number of other reasons, as Ziggy explained.

9. Ziggy Stardust

Right, so why don't I stop trying to help answering your question. Good luck finding answers while dismissing them. That sure is a sound strategy, I would stick to that if I were you.

10. Sharwood

Sharwood Rich, doctor nephew

Ziggy's answer was absolutely spot-on. Unless you're seeking the answer you want, and not a real one? If so, let us know what it is, and I'll post it for you.

I'll add something to Ziggy's argument, and coming from someone who's only drank alcohol on a few occasions, has never smoked either cigarettes or marijuana, and is probably as close to 'straight edge' as a person can get without tonnes of silly tattoos, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Ziggy explained why people continue to take drugs, I'll offer an explanation as to why they might try them in the first place. You admitted to trying cigarettes and pot in high school. Why did you do that? I'm willing to bet it was a combination of peer pressure, ie. the desire to be cool/liked, at least within your own circle, and the simple desire to experience something new.

I've considered trying alcohol and marijuana, among other things, just to see what the fuss is about. With me it's not peer pressure, because I don't realy have too many peers - that sounded arrogant, let me try again. I don't get out much, don't have many friends, and therefore there are relatively few people who could exercise such an influence on me. I certainly have no desire to be cool or liked, unless one is a hot chick; I pride myself on my geekiness. But I wouldn't mind experiencing something new, just to see what it's like. But I prefer not to alter my brain chemistry, even temporarily, so I don't. I'm also afraid of alcohol since it impares thinking; marijuana seems to have a different effect on different people, but alcohol seems to impare thinking one way or the other no matter who is drinking it.

There's probably also a touch of the allure of the forbidden in such things, which would explain why so many high school students try them. Let's face it, in high school we all found it fun to do things we weren't supposed to, even the anal girls who always sat in the front of the room, told on people for breaking every little rule and gave their teachers apples. I should know, I screwed several of them. if you're not allowed or at least not supposed to do it, there's a good chance you'll try it if you think you'll get away with it, provided there's something else interesting about it.

Answer your question? Or does it make no sense and not help you?

11. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

The appeal can easily be explained, i.e. they release lost of endorphins etc etc. They make you feel good. However the socials conditions which lead people to use or reuse them, or how available they are is another thing, to do with economics, society's attitude toards it etc etc

12. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

Maybe you should say why you believe that people take drugs? The primary reasons are that it can become addictive, there is also the drug culture behind it if it was marijuana and beer.

13. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

because not all drugs are bad for you, there is no logical reason why stopping is necessary

14. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I don't know why people take drugs. I'm more concerned with people stopping to take drugs.

I guess from my perspective, if I can stop, why can't you? Put it this way, it's late at night right now and I could eat something before I sleep. But I won't because I know that I'll have to pay the price later. And that's the same with drugs. I can take it - I know it can be nice. But I won't because it's not worth it.

So I'm trying to understand what makes me want to control myself and stop myself from doing things and that others obviously have no control over.

15. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

He was condescending and didn't tell me anything I didn't know. How did he explain why people continue to take drugs? Because they like it? I like it too. I stopped because it's not good for me.

I like chocolate too but I don't want to put on weight. :confused:

16. Sharwood

Still in that ridiculous binary thought pattern Ziggy mentioned. Firstly, you want to stop, others don't. If they don't want to stop, what don't they have control over? If they want to stop but can't, then they don't have enough control.

Other than that, Ziggy already explained it. Some people think it's worth it. You obviously don't. That doesn't devalue his points.

17. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

You must know better than I do.

18. Sharwood

He was condescending? Bast, you were extremely rude to him. If you already knew all that, tell him so, and ask if he could give an alternate reason. Don't just say :"That's not helpful." Hell, just saying "That's not helpful to me" would be better.

Some people don't think it's not good for them, and in quite a few cases - think marijuana, provided it's used in moderation, as with any substance - they're right. Hell, some drugs are good for you. Marijuana again comes to mind, in the treatment of certain conditions.

And of course people continue to take drugs because they like it. If they don't enjoy it, that's an addiction. As Ziggy said, there's far more to drug-taking than just: addiction vs non-addiction. Although even addicts enjoy the biochemical sensations, or at least grow to strongly disapprove of their absence.

19. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

When my Pastor was a young boy he had a class called temperance. It is not tha hard to have self control, it just takes time. Also that is cop out since if no one had any self control, then we would be in a big mess, isince nothing would be done.

20. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

Who cares if it's good for you? If someone thinks it provides them enough happiness to be worth a loss in health why should they stop?