Whats the best civilization for a one city challenge?

So I am planning to start a one city challenge "the human player is only allowed to have 1 city"

And I was wondering wich civilization is the best choise wich civilization is the best in one city challenge? I personally thinx india and darius is actually olso not a bad choise

In Civ5 you can play OCC with every nation. :)

Arabia should be a better civ because of the bazaar. You can buy lots more things for your capital; you lose a part of the trait but just a little one and the bazaar is worth it.
Korea/Babylon are nice (when you´ve purchased them), they´re defensive and you don´t have to worry that much about research.
The only nations which are not good to be chosen in OCC are Spain (no nature wonder in your border and just one UU) and Rome (no trait, and two iron-based -more or less offensive - units). Well, and of course the warmongering civs like Japan, Germany and Mongolia.

I think Darius because those super long happiness golden ages with bonus movement, as a guess, outweigh the lowered unhappiness of India's UA in a one city situation. Try to lengthen them even more to take advantage (I think there's an SP and a wonder).

India's ability looks good for OCC on paper, but I find that it is more optimal for 2-3 cities, and not really necessary for one city.

Korea is almost perfect for OCC (if you have the DLC), as the UA is directly tied to the capital and gives a science boost which is useful for any victory type.

The Aztecs are good for city growth if you settle next to a lake (Floating Gardens).

In Civ5 you can play OCC with every nation. :)

Arabia should be a better civ because of the bazaar. You can buy lots more things for your capital; you lose a part of the trait but just a little one and the bazaar is worth it.
Korea/Babylon are nice (when you´ve purchased them), they´re defensive and you don´t have to worry that much about research.
The only nations which are not good to be chosen in OCC are Spain (no nature wonder in your border and just one UU) and Rome (no trait, and two iron-based -more or less offensive - units). Well, and of course the warmongering civs like Japan, Germany and Mongolia.

Yeah You can paly with any civ you like but I was wondering wich civ is the best choisse ANd yeah the bazar has a lot of benefits

What I wanted to say was you can play a good OCC with every nation. ;) With some more, some less. (Maybe except Rome)
First I would try Arabia and Korea. Persia is good as well, but India´s ability, as already said, isn´t good with only one city.

I'd say Aztecs by far (I don't have any DLC ).
Their ability allows you to quickly develop your policies and max out Tradition, and with Floating Gardens your capital will always be the largest city in the world.

Arabia=extra diplomatic trade gold
Korea=extra Science
Aztecs=extra pop
Siam=extra pop and culture

An important thing in an OCC is that Happiness will not limit your pop (most of the time). Food will.
India's trait gives you a lot of extra happiness on on OCC... but that exta happiness is basically wasted.

I'd say Aztecs by far (I don't have any DLC ).
Their ability allows you to quickly develop your policies and max out Tradition, and with Floating Gardens your capital will always be the largest city in the world.

Isn't their unique ability more a warmonger ability?

No its a fast cultural ability (and the UB is what's important for them... +15% food, not growth but food)

The culture gained is not that big a deal for empires with several developed cities and a couple of unlocked policies.
I's most useful for early policies through barbarian hunting. You get 6 :c5culture: for every brute, 12:c5culture: if you have adopted Honor. That's a pretty big deal during the first 100 or so turns. If I find an encampment I often station two Jaguars nearby and farm the barbarians instead of destroying the camp.

The culture gained is not that big a deal for empires with several developed cities and a couple of unlocked policies.
I's most useful for early policies through barbarian hunting. You get 6 :c5culture: for every brute, 12:c5culture: if you have adopted Honor. That's a pretty big deal during the first 100 or so turns. If I find an encampment I often station two Jaguars nearby and farm the barbarians instead of destroying the camp.

This. Really gives you a great jump start. And if you keep those Jaguars alive, they retain their unique healing bonus when upgraded, which can make for some really strong swords/longswords. Aztecs are one of my favorite civs to play.

If you don't have DLC, Arabia is hands down the best OCC civ in my opinion. Gold is by far the most limiting factor and no one does it better.

Korea would be its best competition if you had DLC. Egypt is good for culture, and Babylon is good for science, but neither are as well-rounded as Arabia. Aztecs can also be a solid choice (mostly for the extra growth from the UB).

It definitely depends on the win condition you are going for as well. With no DLC I'd suggest the following:

Cultural win - Egypt or Siam
Science win - Siam
Diplo win - Arabia

That's my .02

@qalsip - why so big on Siam? Every time I try to get city state allies in an OCC it ends up backfiring...there's just not enough gold to go around for both RAs and CSs.

Top Bottom