What's the best unit you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aaron90495, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

I recently had a game with some crazily-promoted units and was curious: what's the best unit you've ever had?

Personally, I recently had two Chu-Ko-Nu Machine Guns at Level 9. They both had Logistics (obviously), Accuracy III, Barrage I, Cover II, Range, March, and were built in a Heroic Epic city; that translates to two attacks, 45% strength in open terrain, 15% strength in rough terrain, 15% additional strength anywhere, 67% strength against ranged attacks, two range, heal every turn, and an extra 30% when I had a GG near it (which was pretty much all the time).

So, what's been your best unit?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I had a fleet of Battleships that had double attack, + range, and supply each. I was Sweden and I owned an isthmus that separated the Huns from everyone else and I didn't allow open borders, so he was at war against me and various others for most of the game and I used my Galleases/Frigates/Battleships to chew up every land unit he tried to choke through the bottleneck or embarked to send around it.

3. ahawk

ahawk King

Artillery units with Morale, Barrage III, Logistics, and Cover. I had 3 to 4 such units in a game, and had them before my opponent had Great War Bombers or his own artillery. It was a Duel/Emperor game and I destroyed the other civ. Didn't even get to see them upgraded into Rocket Artillery :(

4. Highway_King

Highway_King Chieftain

Nuclear submarines x2 with naval 3, extra sight, extra attack, great lighthouse and naval tradition, and two nukes loaded a piece. Talk about some serious death dealers.

5. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Similar to yours and way OP.

6. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Best units?

Try a boatload of units, no best units in me military here

Spoiler :

7. sendos

sendos Immortal

Best unique unit: Keshiks. I was able to level them up so much that they could attack twice, could shoot from 3 hexagons away from a target, could shoot over mountains, forests and hills and had full barrage and accuracy levelups. I continued using them up to the Modern era. It's the perfect hit-and-run unit.

Best general unit: artillery. Great for defending and attacking cities.

8. Rpger29

Rpger29 Prince

Same. I think Keshiks may always be the penultimate answer to this question. I was able to defeat vanilla tanks with Keshiks paired with a Khan. I'm not sure if this is possible under G&K?

Otherwise it's definitely either artillery or battleships, depending on the map. No other unit can park in front of a civ and receive no damage while constantly upgrading exp.

9. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

All of them can, even the melee "meatshield"

You just have to know how to use them

10. Alexander Boney

Alexander Boney Chieftain

A Crossbowman who I got from ruins in ancient via a scout(Vanilla)--Barbs died soooo quickly...

11. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

A gifted minuteman who upgraded to a caroleon with and Flat terrain II and rough terrain II

12. ahawk

ahawk King

Hey! I recognize this game from another thread! :lol:

Good to see you taking back what's rightfully yours (using a bit of overkill to do so)!

How'd that lone little worker who was trapped end up? He make it?

[Edit]: Of course, that Japanese sub is still there! :lol:

13. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

A Mongolian keshik with about 10,000 experience points. OK I'm exaggerating a little but they are really good!

14. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Nope, William DOWed not long after and that worker didn't last long :(

But from what I've learned in this game is that there is no such thing as overkill. Main thing for this was the nukespam - especially from Oda who had turned Greece into a radioactive wasteland after Kyoto and Tokyo got nuked.

Spoiler :

Since atomics and nuclear missiles were being employed wantonly, I figured if I wanted to launch a massive D-Day it would have to be with a force two or three times larger than what a normal Deity AI could produce. The attacks will have to come from different fronts too (that's why in that pic there were significant forces pouring in from the south as well) and take as many cities as possible in the opening moves so that if Oda had gone nuclear (he eventually did, but too little and too late), there would still be enough units left to wade through the radiation and continue fighting angry samurais.

15. Volapyk

Volapyk Warlord

Best promoted unit I ever had was back in the very old days, Indian war elephant, when they were considered melee units and could get blitz and extra movement. Had several of them ending up at level 16-18 there was no promotion they didn't have, only thing available to pick was selfheal.

16. sufficiency

sufficiency King

Wait what. You lost your capital?

17. regeneration64

regeneration64 Warlord

A level 9 battleship. It gets to a point when promotions become pointless! I had a fleet of level 7-9 battleships too which rained death on every city on a Large Islands map.

18. Wir0s

Wir0s Chieftain

stealth bombers, stealth bombers everywhere!

Double attack, range, x3 "land units" x2 naval units, armor units, evasion, etc...

Give me enought bombers, and i will conquer the world! (again :p )

19. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I love how the Japs fortified a small pond. :lol: How many turns do you play in a game?

20. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Bomb-Sparta :lol: it also makes me scared of you because I am playing Greece right now:hide:.