What's the best way to order CiV?

So what happens if Steam goes out of business one day? I assume they will patch it where steam isn't required.

seeing as steam is integrated into the game it would be very hard to patch it out of the game.

seeing as steam is still growing each year i dont see it going bust any time soon

and by then we be playing a newer version of civ if they still wanna make a new version off course

Valve claims that in the unlikely case of shutting down steam they would write a patch to unlock all steam games.

As for boxed vs downloaded: I paid about 30 GBP for delivery from amazon.co.uk to Germany. Digital download is more expensive, so I chose the boxed copy. If D2D had had it's 30 GBP offer when I pre-ordered I'd probably have gone with that, though.

How does that work if you need to re-install in 6 months... or 2 years or later...

Also, how about putting the game on multiple computers?
I am considering making this my first digital (only) computer game purchase.
I tend to like having the physical disc in case anything goes wrong...

thanks,
-Zen Blade

How does that work if you need to re-install in 6 months... or 2 years or later...

Also, how about putting the game on multiple computers?
I am considering making this my first digital (only) computer game purchase.
I tend to like having the physical disc in case anything goes wrong...

thanks,
-Zen Blade

you can re-download it from steam at any moment.

you can install it on multiple computers you just need to login to your account on a steam installation on said computer and you can play/install it.

you will just need a internet connection to download it.

seeing as steam is integrated into the game it would be very hard to patch it out of the game.

seeing as steam is still growing each year i dont see it going bust any time soon

and by then we be playing a newer version of civ if they still wanna make a new version off course

I agree. Valve Corporation has a good thing going and Steam seems to be REALLY taking off here lately. They've got to be doing well financiallly I'm sure. They're also a privately held company as opposed to a publicly traded company which makes them much more stable and less prone to instability on the stock market.

Will having Babylon increase the maximum number of civs you can have in a game at one time? Or will one civilization have to be excluded from a maximum amount of civilizations campaign if you have Babylon? Thanks in advance

I've always prefered boxed copies to digital downloads, but now I'm beginning to question this preference for Civ 5. If there was a printed manual, I'd definately be getting a boxed copy. But since there isn't, what are the benefits of buying a boxed copy of Civ 5? What actually comes in the box?

If I buy a boxed copy, is there a way to download Civ 5 while I wait for it to arrive by post? Is there a difference in price between the download and boxed copy? Can you get The Babylonian "bonus" civilization if you buy a boxed version? Must I order before Tuesday in order to recieve the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? What's your opinion on the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? Do you think it's worth paying more for?

What do you think is the best version to order? Thanks in advance. Can't wait 'til Tuesday!!

preloaded from direct2drive

I'm kicking myself for getting it from Steam

If I don't buy the deluxed version (to save $10), will I be able to purchase The Babylonian civilization at a later date? I'm not really interested in the "Cradle of Civilization" map, the behind the scenes at Firaxis video or the soundtrack.

But I would like Babylon. Though I'd rather pay $10 for it at a later date, since I'll be paying $50 for the standard download in the next couple of days. Unfortunately for me, money is tighter than ever right now. I can't afford to spend a lot at once. But in a month or two, I'd be able to spend more money on DLC.

But if Babylon is only available now, I might have to spend the extra $10 and get it.

Personally, I really want to have a box to add to my collection of games. I'm a big steam fan but Civ is special to me and I want something physical.

I don't care about the Babylon DLC. It's just a bonus to trick you into pre-ordering. I've seen it with many Steam games before.

Just look at yourself in a few months. By buying the boxed version you will have a physical box, the game and most probably also all the bonuses which were exclusive to pre-orders before available as DLC.

Plus: The download version is released on the same day as the physical one, making another advantage that download version usually have (especially in Europe) moot in this case.

Top Bottom