What's the best way to order CiV?

I've always prefered boxed copies to digital downloads, but now I'm beginning to question this preference for Civ 5. If there was a printed manual, I'd definately be getting a boxed copy. But since there isn't, what are the benefits of buying a boxed copy of Civ 5? What actually comes in the box?

If I buy a boxed copy, is there a way to download Civ 5 while I wait for it to arrive by post? Is there a difference in price between the download and boxed copy? Can you get The Babylonian "bonus" civilization if you buy a boxed version? Must I order before Tuesday in order to recieve the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? What's your opinion on the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? Do you think it's worth paying more for?

What do you think is the best version to order? Thanks in advance. Can't wait 'til Tuesday!!

I've always prefered boxed copies to digital downloads, but now I'm beginning to question this preference for Civ 5. If there was a printed manual, I'd definately be getting a boxed copy. But since there isn't, what are the benefits of buying a boxed copy of Civ 5? What actually comes in the box?

If I buy a boxed copy, is there a way to download Civ 5 while I wait for it to arrive by post? Is there a difference in price between the download and boxed copy? Can you get The Babylonian "bonus" civilization if you buy a boxed version? Must I order before Tuesday in order to recieve the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? What's your opinion on the Babylonian "bonus" civilization? Do you think it's worth paying more for?

What do you think is the best version to order? Thanks in advance. Can't wait 'til Tuesday!!

The way I understand it you'd have to wait for your code to play (in effect, when the box arrives". The only way to get Babylon is to per-order through steam which will allow you to pre-load and play immediately Tuesday and get Babylon.

D2D has a better deal giving you the first DLC free (2 new civs) but probably won't be Babylon. Thus for me, it made sense to get Babylon now and just pay for the other 2 civs giving me all 3.

You won't get the Babylon bonus civilization when purchasing a boxed version (correct me if wrong). You will probably be able to download it as DLC later on, though. I got the Digital Deluxe Edition from Steam, which includes Babylon. Being a veteran Civ player, I really want them to be part of my game. I could have also bought the Limited Edition, which is boxed. It's a lot more expensive, and I don't really care for the little statues and art book. Besides that, it doesn't seem to include Babylon. I figured I was better off with the Digital Deluxe Edition.

The way I understand it you'd have to wait for your code to play (in effect, when the box arrives". The only way to get Babylon is to per-order through steam which will allow you to pre-load and play immediately Tuesday and get Babylon.

D2D has a better deal giving you the first DLC free (2 new civs) but probably won't be Babylon. Thus for me, it made sense to get Babylon now and just pay for the other 2 civs giving me all 3.

Both Steam and D2D offer a standard edition, and a deluxe edition which includes Babylon. D2D also offer the first DLC free when it comes out, which is why I bought the deluxe edition from them.

Gamestop has a deal where you buy the boxed version, a gtx 460 or 470, and then get an upgrade for the digitial deluxe edition. Its a rip off though, as you could buy them all seperatly at different places for cheaper.

Both Steam and D2D offer a standard edition, and a deluxe edition which includes Babylon. D2D also offer the first DLC free when it comes out, which is why I bought the deluxe edition from them.

For me, I figured I'd get Babylon and simply pay for the other 2......everybody's financial situation is different though.

The box comes with a fortune cookie, you open the cookie (you can choose whether or not to eat it) and the fortune inside is your key to unlock the game (don't confuse this with your "Lucky Numbers" on the other side).

:)

Digital download is by far the best way to buy this game, you have to use steam anyway so why not just buy it from them and not have to wait for the post. Not to mention you are doing the environment a favor by creating less waste.

You have to buy before Tuesday to get the "pre-order" civilization.

The boxed Regular Edition comes with a DVD, an installation manual and a key to register the game. That's all.

As to pricing, that entirely depends on where you live. In many countries the boxed edition is cheaper than the digital edition. See the thread with pre-order pricing.

There is no best purchase method. No matter which one you choose, you'll be missing out on something that's offered exclusively via a different method.

Which doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I wonder if anyone is crazy enough and OCD enough order it everywhere.....:lol:

The main problem I see with digital download here is that it's a compressed 8GB file. That's huge and will take many hours for the average person to download.

I would much prefer just to pop that disk in. However, I have purchased a couple dozen digital downloads in the past and had good experiences with them.

If you preorder the game though you get enough time to pre download it so its ready to play at midnight on release day.

Thats a lot quicker than getting the disk. If getting the standard edition, I would have still gotten the disk as it is £5 less, but I wanted the soundtrack + babylon, and the boxed CE wasnt worth the extravagent cost so I went with the digital deluxe.

I made a huge mistake of ordering it on Steam though and not D2D, and placing another game on the order too so it cant be cancelled, if going digital, get the D2D version for the free premium DLC.

I could, and have, debated digital vs physical purchase, and won't get into it here. I think digital is the way to go. There are no logical reasons for physical retail purchase (over digital) - it's mostly about nostalgia and reluctance to move into the present and future of distribution.

Anyways.

I still think D2D has the best deal. Static maps (ie, a map pack is pretty much ONE static map) don't seem like a big deal (many pre-order deals have map packs) - modders will be producing maps and map scripts like mad and how much do you care about playing on a static map anyways? You get babylon with any deluxe digital (Steam/D2D) and with D2D you get the first DLC free, which will mostly likely be 2 civs and other junk. D2D just gives you a Steam key, so it's like getting it thru Steam with different perks.

unless the first dlc is 15 euro there are cheaper legal outlets to get the game.

i just don't get to pre-load it but i am paying 35 now and will get the key on release day in the EU

I could, and have, debated digital vs physical purchase, and won't get into it here. I think digital is the way to go. There are no logical reasons for physical retail purchase (over digital) - it's mostly about nostalgia and reluctance to move into the present and future of distribution.
There's a lot of context missing to this statement. In many places buying a boxed copy is cheaper than buying digital (Netherlands: boxed from 35.99 EUR and digital fixed 49.99 EUR). So therefore boxed is :king: For me that's a perfectly logical reason to choose boxed.

There's a lot of context missing to this statement. In many places buying a boxed copy is cheaper than buying digital (Netherlands: boxed from 35.99 EUR and digital fixed 49.99 EUR). So therefore boxed is :king: For me that's a perfectly logical reason to choose boxed.

your statement is not correct mercade :lol:

g2play offer digital and they ask 36 now with a pre-order thats totally useless and unrelated to civ but hey they have policy that they dont refund pre-orders that come with a bonus so its their way of making sure the money stays in their bank account ;)

Just downloaded and pre-loaded Civ V from Steam in about 4 hours. 4.5GB Download. I suggest that if you're going to purchase the digital download, do it before the release date to prevent long download times due to everyone downloading from the servers at the same time.

Top Bottom