1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the chariots sword made off

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CivDude86, Sep 19, 2006.

1. synthboy

synthboy Prince

See, I did wonder about that having played Rome: Total War. Why then (enlighten me clever historians) is the stirrup so important?

2. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

whear thear ever any chariotteers that acaly used swords??

i thot most used arows or spears, or just atached blades to the wheels and sides of the chariot and road strait into the enamy line, sliceing feet and legs off :p

3. Enigma256

Enigma256 Warlord

blades on the wheels are swords ;)

4. Mad2rix

Mad2rix Warlord

In unrelated note, what's the grenaiders' sword made of? Even though we discovered Iron Working, they don't need iron to build their own melee weapon.

5. Inflammatory

Inflammatory Unsightly Rash

The swords are conjured up using the sheer will of the mind. The charioteer must never lose his focus on maintaining the sword, or the battle shall be lost.

6. Eqqman

Eqqman Walrus

It is important for effectively fighting on horseback with melee weapons. While clearly it is not impossible to swing a sword or thrust with a spear while you are trying to grip the horse with your knees, the guys with stirrups will trounce those without.

7. Eqqman

Eqqman Walrus

The website you've linked to credits the Assyrians with having widespread use of iron in their armies by 1000 BC, a full 500 years after the earliest evidence of Hittite use. Hittite armies were certainly at least somewhat equipped by the end of their empire in the 1200s BC. The website makes the somewhat ridiculous (to me) claim that you paraphrased, 'The Assyrians were the first to recognize fully the advantage of iron over bronze'. It seems to me that anybody who can manufacture an iron weapon is going to immediately realize that you can chop a bronze one in half with it. I think the idea which may have given rise to the author's statement is that the Assyrians had improved metalworking techniques (specifically, the ability to easily create furnaces hot enough for iron) which allowed them to make iron the staple of their armed forces and perhaps allowed them to be the first to completely abandon bronze. But I've seen no evidence to unseat the Hittities as the first to have iron-equipped soldiers in the Near East.

8. synthboy

synthboy Prince

Thanks Eggman, that makes sense and probably something I could have figured out myself if I'd bothered to use my brain.

9. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

And a horse archer with stirrup can fire his arrows whilst moving, where as the guy without stirrups probably has to stop or slow right down before hes steady enough to take a shot.

10. holy king

holy king Deity

11. synthboy

synthboy Prince

Never mind the Grenadier, what about Tanks? I have a sneaky feeling that they need an awful lot of steel ;)

12. Bungholio

Bungholio Warlord

maybe they used tin or bronze

13. synthboy

synthboy Prince

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

how about a chariot archer
    chariot archer
    3 st 2m
    2 first sticks