Whats the closest you've ever started a game near a natural wonder?

I don't think I've ever had a nw inside my capital borders, but starting within ten tiles away is not too uncommon.

The continents map is friendlier than the pangea map. On continents you can often find one within range of your first expansion city. Obviously this favors Spain.

Moderator Action: Not really an S&T topic, so this thread is moved to General Discussions.

Mt Kailash 5 hexes from my starting location. I moved 2 hexes north to settle on the coast and boom it was in ring 3. Ages ago I had Sollies mines 4 hexes from my starting location(which I settled), needless to say I swore a lot.....

The default map scripts (continents, pangaea, etc.) ensure that you don't start too close. Roughly, the algorithm is

(1) first, place the player and AI civs
(2) then, place the natural wonders, avoiding the civs already placed. This usually forces NW to be about 10 tiles away.
(3) finally, place the city-states

Mt Kailash 5 hexes from my starting location. I moved 2 hexes north to settle on the coast and boom it was in ring 3. Ages ago I had Sollies mines 4 hexes from my starting location(which I settled), needless to say I swore a lot.....

Almost this. Moved two tiles and then Mt. Sinai was in range 2 of my capital.

In two different games, I've had NWs pretty close. Lake Victoria 11 tiles away on one, and on another I had Sri Pada about 20 tiles East and Kailash 9 tiles West.

5 or 6 a couple times, once i was Spain next to Uluru, sadly that game was on continents, otherwise it would have been a cultural victory by turn 180ish

i once had el dorado about 10 tiles away from madrid. That could've been the closest to my capital.

Two tiles of the start as Portugal on a TSL Earth map :p.

I don't normally get too lucky with natural wonders, normally spawn about 15 plus tiles away and the ai just normally grabs them instantly, had a lake victoria about 8 tiles away from my cap once but that's it

In my present game with Shoshone, I started 4 tiles from Mt. Sinai. So I settled my second city close to it on REALLY fertile grounds (two rivers through otherwise desert). While nearly all the tiles for this second was essentially desert, only one ended up being "true" desert, the remainder either hills or floodplains. Good thing I got Desert Folklore :)

Game 1: You have 4 archers, 4 cities, 2 workers and have discovered iron by T47? Wow!

Not four but two cities (one of them settled recently), there is Babylon on east and has similar colour.

Four archers - you forgot to notice that this is entire American army, also nothing special.

Two workers - let me guess, Liberty?

Iron - remember, it requires Bronze Working, not Iron Working. If for some crazy reason he wants to beeline it :p it is Mining -> Bronze Working. Also he has Archery, Pottery, Calendar and Wheel. Hmm, six technologies by turn 47... Eight turns per tech... Given American scouting range + the plenty of map he discovered, I guess he got at least one tech from ruins. I sometimes got two techs from ruins during the first 15 turns of game :p

And positive gold flow. His difficult level must be an abnormal low.

+3 gold is absolutely nothing amazing. 79 gold also - in proper circumstances it can be achieved easily (ruins, barbarian camps etc).

I played one multiplayer game (everyone on Immortal difficulty) where one guy had six cities, positive happiness, big army and plenty of gold in Classical Era :crazyeye: And he was playing as Arabia so no early bonuses + in ancient era he conquered human neighbour Japan :crazyeye: yeah I played with him many times and he was the best Civ5 player I have ever encountered but - impossible is possible :crazyeye:

Top Bottom