1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the craziest thing youve seen the AI do??

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by paulcarri, Jul 18, 2013.

1. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

Just curious to know what crazy stuff you have seen the AI do?

I decided to have a relaxing monarch game...got a massive tech lead and map was full of nutters, shaka, monty, ghengis, ragnar all on the same map...

Its been the wierdest game ever!

First ceaser declared out the blue...he brought 10 galleons, but instead of unloading troop he suicided them all against my ironclads...then a few turns later offered me gold when we made peace...did he not bring troops??

Then five turns later, ghengis attacked!! now this was the biggest fleet i have EVER seen, i counted the ships as they also suicided on my ironclad stack... 23 galleons!!!

However he decided to attack amphibiously...and had brought swordsmen, LONGBOWS, pikes, keshiks...every troop under the sun??? He went for my capital and as the city was full of infantry preparing for an invasion it went badly for him...but so many units... i got 2 generals from it!!

Finally ...shaka! attacks with one galleon of axemen lol... sails off, and a few turns later gives me all his gold for peace

All of this has had me shaking my head... anyone seen madder stuff?

2. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Emperor

Crazy? That's a perfectly normal day with the AI.

3. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

sounds like the AI did a rage-quit due to your massive tech lead ;)

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

My favorites are amphibious attacks with just siege units (You would think that after they nerfed siege after vanilla, that somebody might have modified how the AI used them, but NOOOOO)

But also, When I've just finished rallying my SOD in my city along the border of the country that I'm attacking the next turn, that they declare on me and move their SOD next to mine for instant destruction. I guess they couldn't see my stack, Thank you.

And lastly, Monty (pre-construction) rushes with jags against high culture defended hill cities stuffed with axes. How did that work for you Monty?

5. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Oh, that Monty. He's so good for GG points after he's fallen behind massively in tech and then attacks your machine guns with hordes of axemen. Monty's nuttiness ranks up there.

I may be unfair but my craziest AI was Ragnar. I'm playing an OCC so not dominating the world. He votes for the resolution "Defensive Pacts with All Members" (Buddhism is dominant in the world) and 2 turns later attacks his Buddhist neighbor. Some kind of record for going from #1 in score to somebody's vassal when he dogpiled himself.

6. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

There are a lot of crazy AI tales that are just cases of the AI not understanding game mechanics – landing a stack containing nothing but siege, or massing dozens of Caravels inside a city being blockaded by 2-3 of my Privateers and never attempting a mass attack that would surely be successful, to give a couple of examples. Programming oversights.

The craziest thing I ever see from the AI is continued work on a wonder (Pyramids, often) while it is losing cities to me in the early game. Misplaced priorities. I could sort of see the reasoning if the wonder being built was CP or GW (still crazy, but at least the wonder would help a little in the war), but Pyramids? Temple of Artemis? *shrugs* Thanks for the free wonder, I guess.

7. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Somebody a while back posted a screenshot of Napoleon not defying a resolution to give one of his cities back to the original owner.

It was the only city he had left. :lol:

8. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

When the AI attacks with nothing but siege weapons. Never made sense to me. I remember one game Ragnar dropped something like a grenadier and 15 cannons on my continent, and then never sent anything over for the duration of the war.

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Current game: I have two battleships and two destroyers sitting on the coast of Mansa's only remaining empire, an island (with four poor quality cities). He keeps cranking out caravels from all four cities, roughly one every turn or two. They immediately set sail and get destroyed by my naval units. I've not invaded because he is essentially acting as a promo generator for my navy. I have enough espionage against him to see what he is building. He doesn't build anything else, just caravels.

10. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

OCC, launched SS, get dogpiled. Shaka's nuked his way to the walls of Paris with two turns to my win, when Monty sends in UN Peacekeepers. Yoink!

11. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

That is pretty funny. I try to forget the stuff that breaks my immersion.

The craziest thing I can think of is the empty threat "Fear my Explorer!" ( that is singular, not plural) Gonna take a lot of cities with him, are you? :lol:

12. silverjack100

silverjack100 Chieftain

I would have to say the time I saw a massive stack of Barbs attack Asoka's one city to my south. His city was captured and he was killed but the stack just moved past the city and left no defender. I got a free capital spot out of the deal and didnt even have to DoW.

Edit: I haven't played in a while and I just started getting back into this game, can't say anything SUUPER crazy has happened but I will post back if something more interesting happens.

13. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

That was one of the "barbarian uprising" random events. The barb stack created by the event won't stay in a conquered city and just keeps moving.

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It almost made sense in Vanilla when siege units could destroy units. But once the developers figured out that it was slightly over powered (DUH), they nerfed siege with the max damage limit. BUT, they forgot to change the logic how the AI used siege to accommodate it. This was always one of my biggest complaints.

15. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Yeah. How about the A.I. stack that suicides against my walls, and saves the siege assault for last?

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Almost as funny as when that 50 unit stack only has one cat and it actually tries to take down the walls when it could just take the city allowing you way too many turns to reinforce the city or just destroy the stack.

17. King Bear

King Bear Chieftain

The weirdest thing the AI could do is survive.

I've never actually seen one do so ;)

18. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

lol it felt like it, but it felt silly endgame when i was killing bows with gunships..

and ive seen many of the things described myself..especially the privateer one, i think i had a privateer still blockading for about 300 years!

Ive had the AI land just seige as well, 20 catapults landed lol

19. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

When i first started playing CIV IV I picked the huge european map for my third game.. ragnar was pleased, 1 point below friendly i think.

He decided to kill me, and DOW, yet while at war with me was STILL pleased i think?

If i see ragnar on a map i KNOW he will attack me even if pleased and i have ten times his army...

20. Cort Haus

Cort Haus Warlord

I had Genghis doing something like this, except with quite a large continental empire. I surrounded his ports with destroyers, and he kept building and sending out caravels for my destroyers to peck their way up to the blitz promo with.