What's the Deal with Protectorates?

Discussion in 'Total War' started by Tank_Guy#3, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I'll cut to the chase, what's the deal with making other nations protectorates? I just made the Seleucids accept it (first time an enemy has ever accepted) which was rather surprising, as most often every nation I demand becomes a protectorate tells me to shove it. I see that you get trade rights, an alliance, and military access, but other than that what good is making another nation a protectorate?

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Supposedly, any nation that attacks them attacks you, or something like that (protector-->protection) but, considering the state of yoru diplomacy, I think you already are at war with most AI...

3. Tank_Guy#3

Not yet, the Gauls, Carthage, Sarmations and the Armenians are still at peace/allies (haven't played that game since Tuesday, diplomacy is still fairly hazy) with me.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

But who are you palying with? Also, someone at peace with you would normally be putting armies just out of sight of your borders... happened to me with Brutti... the Macedonians were piling light lancers along the Greek border and, since I conquered Greece first, they attacked me instead of Greece...

5. 101rstImperial

101rstImperial Warlord

What're you asking? What a protectorate is or why a nation would become one?

6. Tank_Guy#3

I playing the Rome Total Realism mod, and I'm playing as the Macedonians.

@101rst: I was asking what it is and what the effects are on the two participating nations? (I know the Military Access, Alliance, and Trade Rights).

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

I´ve never played RTR. vanilla R:TW or BI are enough for my LAN battle needs.

8. Tank_Guy#3

I play RTW/RTR for 4 hours daily somehow, so I need change sometimes.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

If yu played DotA we could arrange to play, eh?

10. Dong2Long

Dong2Long Chieftain

You can end the game quicker. You can gain money, if it is a Senate assignment. Your flanks can be secure, without micromanagement if you owned the province.

The most important, of course, is ending the game sooner by getting your tally to 50 sooner; a side benefit is the reduced management time.

11. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Agreed with that; but about the other, I'd rather own a province & micromanage, rather than allow a protectorate.

1. You decide how/if to spend the gold from the province.
    2. You decide priority of buying improvements/units.
    3. You only get the leftovers if you are the Protector; the protectorate can make (and does make) units and can grow stronger.
    4. Despite what the game implies, Protectorate CAN break away from you and attack... if they have allies who are not your ally. This happens most often if you make a Roman faction a protectorate.... the others will then never ever do so, and that relation will eventually be used for your Roman protectorate to break the agreement, which can be a headache.

So I don't take protectorates on, unless maybe it can end a game faster in certain situations (I've done it a few times, but still don't like it). :cool:

12. Tank_Guy#3

Man I don't even remember creating this thread :old: .

I have used Protectorates on occasion, though I very generally just use the Right of Passage to move my armies into position around their major cities, and I think you can figure out the rest :evil: :nya: :mwaha:

But they usually declared war on me first (and my utter annihilation of their forces convinced them to be a protectorate of mine) so I have no respect for them.

13. OTE_Leader

OTE_Leader Chieftain

As playing as the Seleucids, I became a protectorate of Egypt (assumes their diplomacy with other nations) - which was usefull because it caused Armenia and Pontus to lift their sieges - which allowed my to retrain units that sustained casulites in combat (sally out), because the very next turn the 3 way war tripple siege happened all over again (with Egypt, Armenia, Pontus)