1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the difficulty you can consistently win on?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Archbob, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Immortal. Deity > 50%, > 80% if it's a forum game as they're almost always easier than random rolled Pangeae games.

Pangaea deity is really the hardest game i feel, if you don't have room for more than 3 cities which is rather often the case and you don't have fast commerce sources to build up for a quick rush you're just stuck with these 3 cities for a long time. Winning liberalism can still save you but if that doesn't work out too it will often be too hard.

On Continents like maps you have more room to expand. You can run into the runaway AI here but it's often possible to deal with that in the modern game.

2. Mylene

Mylene Deity

I win maybe 60% on Deity/normal Pangea, there are enough games that just didn't seem winable to me ;)
    Like if they box you in before you could bring out a settler, then someone is in a bad mood and does DoW..nothing you can usually do, while defending is possible the game is thru cos you cannot keep up with the other AIs that way.

3. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

Emperor, I haven't played an Immortal game yet but I've been doing a personal ALC on Emperor and the last 12 or so have been cake walks. I'd have moved up if I wasn't dead set on playing them all on Emperor first.

4. ShengWuLien

ShengWuLien Warlord

Monarch for me, although I'm beyond breaking even on Emperor now too.

Also: y'all know it's DEITY, right? Unless I'm missing some internal forum joke that has everyone spelling it DIETY.

("My Civ play was getting a little flabby so I went on a diety.")

5. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

@Mylene, early Dow can lose you a game as well indeed. Not always though, it is often possible to defend but this may set you back too far. If you're also boxed in probably too hard again.If not you can often recover after the war.

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Post a link! This sounds interesting. :)

7. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

8. Manco Capac

Now, I am curious about Rusten's performance...;)

9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thank you! :)

Took a quick look at Kakumeika, Tachywaxon.. You are quite a micro-maniac! :D

10. Rusten

Rusten Deity

What do you mean? :confused:

11. Manco Capac

Oh. :) I mean your ratio on deity between wins/losses.
    I've seen some deity threads of the past and you often found a way through the hardest settings where others didn't.

This let me think, what would be his percentage on deity?

Many are seeing you as a godly deity-player (which I certainly don't refute!), so I guessed he must win 70-80 % of all deity games at least.

12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I intrepret it as a compliment from him, to you.
    Merry christmas! :)

13. Habitus

Habitus Emperor

Ahh reading this thread has remindered me that i can read all your threads now the SGotM has finished

14. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Okay. :)

I can't recall, I've hardly played a SP game other than XOTM in more than 2 years, and those were surely forum games, so not enough to make an assessment.
    Won 3/3 XOTM deity games, but they are generally easier, so again, hard to tell.

Generally speaking maps like pangea are quite volatile and would have a lower win percentage, even if some of them are easier than normal, whereas maps like continents are predictable and more balanced and can be won close to 100% of the time. Maybe 80-90% win rate if varying between maps and leaving civilizations etc to chance.
    I don't know, best I can come up with from memory.

15. Manco Capac

God! I feel pitiful now. :eek: :lol:

Now, I see why continents are type of maps often not played like in the past; they are easy somehow.

Thanks for the input. ;)

16. kossin

kossin Deity

Winning on Deity is dependent on the map more than anything else.

If you have room to expand, you can be fine 90% of the time.
    If you tech Archery, you can handle barbs 99% of the time, as well as early DoWs 90% of the time.

But anything that twists your arm behind your back means a hard/unwinnable game... unless you want to AP cheese.

17. Manco Capac

Then, I must have been super unlucky in one of my earliest attempt when a rogue archer destroyed one of my city guarded by an archer. Damn that was frustrating, given the rather okay fogbusting. :D

18. Ormur

Ormur Prince

Emperor, it's the level I play at now. I have yet to loose but that's also because I only play maps where I know I'll have a good time (not necessarily the easy ones). I'll still say Emperor because using these settings I can pick HC, I could win my first emperor game on a hard map with him and I've learnt a lot since then. I should probably be playing at Immortal to challenge myself. Diety would try my patience way to much though.

I'm pretty sure that if I forced myself to play the maps I quit I could eke out a win almost every time but on the other hand I do primarily play on epic. So I can probably win consistently on Emperor normal speed but I'm certain I can win 99% of Monarch games (I once lost to an AP vote because I was careless).

19. kossin

kossin Deity

Which is why I didn't say 100% ;)

I once lost a game to barbs with Saladin where I had 2 Archers, 2 warriors and only 1 city. For an example...

20. Mylene

Mylene Deity

It also depends on the start you get, i count weak ones where i give it a try (plains cow!) and have to give up as loss.
    If we are talking forum game quality starts, iam closer to what Rusten/Kossin described :)