whats the furthest you have made it on ROM

This is my main problem. :p

Yeah I like to play big maps on snail speed, so I basically have to force myself not to update until I have finished the current game I'm playing. If I didn't, I'd never get even close to finishing a game. :lol:

ABOUT GAMES CRASHING

Some months ago I was playing Rise of Mankind (I think it was 2.7 but not sure) on an standard Earth map and my game crashed when I was on Reinassance more or less...It was really annoying but I found how to fix it. It is long, boring work but it always work and it is simple to do:

First you have to know at what turn your game crashes. The game crashes cos 1 city or unity makes it to crash (the hard thing it is to know what city or unity is the guilty...) So what you have to do is erase all unities and cities from one continent and check if your game is still crashing or not. If it crashes again, try erasing another continent and so on till find the guitly continent.

Then, load your game again (saved in the last non-crashing turn) and just erase half "guitly continent" and so on....till you find where is the problem

I tell you guys I have solved ALL my crashing games like this. You can spend 2 hours to fix it but when you have been playing a same map for months to lose 2 hours to recover your game....worth it

Or you could just look in the MPLog to see which unit was last moved and then delete it.

Hmm do you guys then know any other mods that are pretty close in awesomeness to RoM, but keep the game playable?

YES! Older RoM versions!!! :cool:

Really, I'm still playing RoM 2.4. It NEVER crashes. Turn times on large maps take ~10s in very late game. And I have only 2GB RAM, 2Ghz, 512MB graphics!

I know it sounds very old compared to 2.9x, but if you've played only newer versions, this one can come as a refreshment. I can upload it if anyone wants to try it out.

Made it all the way to the end-game techs with the Maya (Agricultural/Financial), but this was a while ago. Is the AI still so incompetent at city management? I was sporting size 70 cities and spawning great people every 5-6 turns or so, was getting quite ridiculous. The population counter maxed out.

I think I got about 100 to 150 turns away from the last turn before winning a culture victory. Was going to do scientific, but figured I'd do cultural as that seemed more interesting to me. This was on the huge earth map. Haven't tried gigantic, and I probably won't. My computer can handle huge without too much difficulty. I get the occasional crash to desktop, thank god for autosave. I still hate sometimes having to replay turns, but it happens.

So, erm, i seem to be the only one or at least one of the few around here that actually got to Future Era on ROM 2.91 on a huge map with 16 civs (not counting the ones that emerged with revolution mod , there were lots of em in midgame) playing almoast non-stop (had maybe 2-3 breaks) and with no CTDs or MAFs (just some errors ingame that didnt crash the game, just said "error could not execute script ...." or something like that). Oh and it was on marathon :) and i playied a sandbox game (i usually play sandbox, dont like timelimits and objectives, not getting along with them)

Can't say i was winning, actually around the medieval times i almoast lost, was mostly wiped out by the AI, luckly managed to "run" (i call it strategic withdraw :p) to australia (playing on Earth2 generated maps) and lived haply ever after, the AI was too busy dealing with the rebelions and other wars in europe, asia and africa cause thats where they all were. Australia (taken by me) and America (2-3 AI's occupied that) were the only places where life could be called life, no wars, no rebelions, paradise in the true sense of the word :D

That's how far I got ... October 1963. This mod is off the chain. (ROM and AND.) I've been playing ROM for several years (just coming back from a bit of a hiatus), and while I'm not the greatest player in the world, I don't suck either. Or at least I didn't think I did.

I'm playing at *SETTLER* level and -- though I'm certainly winning -- I'm not winning by as much as I'm used to on this easy of a setting. I control 28% of the world -- and I'm followed by someone controlling 25%. The best unit I have right now is a musketman, and the country next to me already has infantry.

I'm gonna reroll and try again. I think I have an idea where I'm going wrong.

I've been up to the ages when Guilds were spreading with Hammurabi of Babylon. Don't remember the year, but most likely in 1000-1200 ages.

Right now I'm playing a hotseat MP game with my wife, we're in July 1834, just built the Manhattan Project, RoM 2.91 AND 1.72 and only a few occasional CTDs so far. Settings include: GEM and epic, Rev, rising seas, no barb civs, 37 civs

Lately, I haven't passed Classical since I've been winning heavy Conquest victories lately on smaller maps on eternity.

Next map, Huge forested map....thing.

I made it to Trans Human era, with gigantic Peter the Traitor to my south with tons of nukes.

and Nuke Proliferation only disables building them...not launching them...caught me off guard ..lol

YES! Older RoM versions!!! :cool:

Really, I'm still playing RoM 2.4. It NEVER crashes. Turn times on large maps take ~10s in very late game. And I have only 2GB RAM, 2Ghz, 512MB graphics!

I know it sounds very old compared to 2.9x, but if you've played only newer versions, this one can come as a refreshment. I can upload it if anyone wants to try it out.

could u pls upload for me?

AND 1.73 never crashes either. You miss out on all the content by using an older version. How could anyone live without Flexible Difficulty, Revolutions, Better AI, Usable Mountains, Advanced Diplomacy, 3-radius cities, Fractional XP, Great Commanders, or Ruthless AI? :p

AND 1.73 never crashes either. You miss out on all the content by using an older version. How could anyone live without Flexible Difficulty, Revolutions, Better AI, Usable Mountains, Advanced Diplomacy, 3-radius cities, Fractional XP, Great Commanders, or Ruthless AI? :p
That is one of the great unsolved mysteries of life.;)

I finish all my RoM games. And this started WAAAAY back at RoM .80. I usually play/prefer Giant, Epic, 7-12 AI, on Archipelago, Lakes, Continents (set to 6) and Pangea. I actually prefer Maps that make Naval Techs a must. Sometimes barb civ or barb world and sometimes Start as Minor options used too.

@Afforess
I must admit you are a Wunderkin at Modding BtS and RoM. I applaud and like/support your work.

BUT, even so, you will find there are many of us who do not play Flex, or REV or 3-rad or Ruthless AI. Or vassals! :p (I know I know you gotta pitch your product where ever you can ;) )

JosEPh :D ;)

hI, I HAVE NOTICED THAT FOR SOME REASON MY FRAME RATE DROPS DOWN WHEN I HAVE FLEXIBLE DIFFICULTY TURNED ON. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS AND HOW CAN I STOP IT AS IT IS QUITE ANNOYING?

hI, I HAVE NOTICED THAT FOR SOME REASON MY FRAME RATE DROPS DOWN WHEN I HAVE FLEXIBLE DIFFICULTY TURNED ON. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS AND HOW CAN I STOP IT AS IT IS QUITE ANNOYING?

#1 Capital typing is annoying in general, not just this forum :). Just a warning for future interacting ;).

#2 This is AND bug so please report in its sub-forum, in Bug Reporting thread.

#3 Be sure you have latest drivers for your video card, and be sure to report your computer specs to Afforess, in case he see something you need to do. Because it is not a frequently reported problem.

That seems unlikely, since Flexible Difficulty only runs when in-between turns and it doesn't draw anything on the screen. Are you sure it isn't something else?

Top Bottom