1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the *last* tech you acquire in each era?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by BuckyRea, Jan 14, 2011.

1. BuckyRea

BuckyRea Boldly Going

I tend to get construction last among the ancient techs, navigation last among the medieval, and flight last among the industrial age techs. But it's always a struggle trying to figure out which one I least need to rush to.

2. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

Monarchy for the Ancient techs (I'm not going to use it and I'm rarely going to get to build the Hanging Gardens anyway, so why bother?)

For the Medieval techs, I frequently don't bother with Printing Press, Democracy or Free Artistry. I skip Navigation if I think I'll miss or don't want Magellan's Voyage and if I don't anticipate a war before Military Tradition or if I think my military can handle it I skip chivalry too. So any of those. Of the ones I do get, Magnetism is usually last

For Industrial techs, there are again a bunch I don't bother with - Ironclads, Communism, Fascism, Advanced Flight, Amphibious Warfare (I'll sometimes pick up those last two, they have fun units, but generally I do it after a few Modern Age techs or as part of peace or something). For the ones I do get, Motorized Transportation is usually last unless I'm under attack and need tanks sooner.

3. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

The last tech I normally acquire? Monarchy (I usually don't get it until Education/Gunpowder, when I get it in a trade), Democracy (I rarely if ever get it), and Advanced Flight or Ironclads (likewise). If you mean among techs you're required to get for age advancement, then it changes to Currency (usually) or HBR; Magnetism/Theory of Gravity (I believe I usually go for ToG first, but sometimes I switch); and Flight.

Edit: I should note that I also never go for Printing Press or Chivalry on my own - I only pick those up via trades, but I usually get them relatively early. If I can, I try to pick up Communism/Fascism in trades (the former more for Police Stations than the govt, the latter for the heck of it), and I usually research Amphibious Warfare after (if German) or before (if not German) Motorized Warfare - Panzer > Marine > Tank, in my book, particularly since Rubber is fairly easy to get, but I tend to not have Oil nearby or hooked up.

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

I imagine you mean techs not required for advancement (with the exception of navigation)? In that case, I think Construction is the last for the AA, but occasionally Polytheism, and HBR if there are no horses. In the middle ages, almost invariably Theory of Gravity, unless it's some strict builder or OCC 20K game, in which case it might be Metallurgy. In the IA, it's usually Motorized Transportation.

5. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Construction or Currency. Magnetism or Metallurgy. Flight.

6. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Construction, Magnetism, Electronics?, Integrated Defense.

I put Electronics with a question mark since I can't remember if it is the last tech on the bottom of the Industrial tree, but the one on the bottom right is the one I almost always get last.

7. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

You need Electronics for Mass Production, which you need for Motorized Transportation. So researching it last would be fairly difficult :p. But seriously? I almost always beeline Scientific Method to get the Electronics slingshot. It works so well.

8. Ceoladir

Well, the tech that comes last on the bottom, that is the one I usually get last.

9. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

10. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

Ah. I stand corrected.

11. DWetzel

DWetzel Chieftain

Count me in the (assuming we're not talking about optionals) group of Construction (occasionally Currency, if Construction is available); Magnetism (only because someone usually gets me Metallurgy), and probably Flight (unless someone gets it for me, them Motorized Transportation).

12. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

The bottom one is Radio. It is either that or flight for me. I might pick up Radio for trading if I pick up ToE and run that line. Otherwise, if I am far ahead, I go for Industrial (if it isn't around arlready) and head towards motors.

I've never researched to the end of the modern era, so . . . .

13. Ceoladir

Radio isn't in Conquests. :p

14. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Chieftain

Polytheism or Construction, Magnetism then Flight. (I play Vanilla).

Of the modern era, it doesn't seem to matter which techs one goes for after the spaceship techs, they all seem to be useless at that point.

15. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Most optional techs I don't research. I'm a Republic player, so I don't research things like Democracy, Monarchy, Navigation. I'll take a trade, however.

Last in AA is usually Polytheism.

Medieval - Metallurgy. Obsoletes the Statue of Zeus, which I love.

Industrial - usually Flight. I go hard to Replaceable Parts and then Motorized Transportation for Tanks.

Has anybody ever finished the entire modern era techs?

16. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

On Chieftain.

17. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

On Sid. Not me, I've only done that on Deity, but for some of the histographic games you'll find they completed the entire modern era.

18. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Ancient - Usually Currency or Construction, since I usually finish the entire ancient tech tree through research or trades.
    Medieval - I don't usually bother with Free Artistry, only getting it when the AI includes it in a trade for an industrial tech
    Industrial - Advanced Flight. Never bother with it.
    Modern - I don't usually get far enough for things like Robotics or Genetics

19. Ceoladir

Free Artistry is very useful for a 20k game.

20. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Yes, but most of my games end with me crushing the rest of the world with my military might. :p