What's the longest you've gone not seeing something right in front of your eyes?

Gori the Grey

The Poster
Beat this: 33 years! (Many of you on the site aren't old enough to beat this).

So, it would have been around age 20 (when I started watching the NBA, b/c Michael Jordan was so cool), that I would have learned that the Los Angeles Lakers had originally been a Minnesota team. Can't tell you the exact age, but I would have been around 20 when that factoid would have come my way. "Lakers," duh; Los Angeles not known for its lakes; Minnesota is.

I'm 53. Saturday out at the mall, I see a guy with a baseball cap. I think "Oh, Vikings fan" b/c he's far enough away that I can only see the colors on the cap. I get nearer. No, Lakers fan.

Lakers and Vikings have the same uniform colors!

I've gone 33 years knowing on some level that the Lakers were originally a Minnesota team, without putting two and two together and noticing that they have the same team colors as the football team still in Minnesota!

Last edited:
At least 20 before I figured out the stupid spot is a target on the Target sign. Whole bunch of other things like the T in Toyota, the L in Lexus. I don't do well with corporate branding in general, and I learned the Vikings/Lakers thing just now! :)

I learned the Vikings/Lakers thing just now! :)
Oh, ok. As I was trying to account for this, I just concluded that one's mind keeps certain information (team colors within a league) siloed. It's interesting to see that this was true for another poster.

I went a year watching Penn and Teller Fool Us before realizing the appropriateness of their having picked Alyson Hannigan as the host.

Some things right in front of your eyes shouldn't be seen.

After I saw a show that explained how David Copperfield did the illusions in his Alcatraz show, it wasn't fun to watch him anymore.

I miss The Far Side, sometimes.

Took me ages (not literally) to figure out that the movie title "Gattaca" consists only out of G, A, T and C, the 4 bases of the DNA (which is basically the core behind the movie).

Also only realized this year that the words for "moon" and "month" are related....which...you know...kinda makes sense.
EDIT: add "Monday", which comes after "Sunday", which I also never realized.

I did not know about the gattaca thing, that seems not really in front of your eyes though but filed under useless trivia.

When I was a kid I always thought the D in walt disney looked like a G and was like why does walt spell his name so weird? I don't think I realized it until I was in my late teens.

I mean they're kinda close?

@Gori the Grey and @Farm Boy

The Vikings actually adopted the colors to capitalize a bit on the disappointed Lakers fans left behind in Minnesota, and maybe pick up some deals on purple and gold streamers and such. The Vikings were founded the year that the Lakers bugged out for LA.

Hmmmmmm. Now that last thing is interesting. The Vikings chose for their colors the very colors of a team that was about to leave their state? "The year," you say, but when the Vikings were founded was it already then known that the Lakers would be moving?

Hmmmmmm. Now that last thing is interesting. The Vikings chose for their colors the very colors of a team that was about to leave their state? "The year," you say, but when the Vikings were founded was it already then known that the Lakers would be moving?

Yeah, not just leaving but gone. They didn't actually start play until the year after the Lakers started playing in LA. I'm hypothesizing, admittedly. I haven't read anywhere that Vikings ownership, upon being awarded the NFL franchise, weighed the pros and cons of color schemes with particular attention to the departed Lakers. It might be that something about Minneapolis suggests purple and gold and whatever that is would have influenced the Lakers and then the Vikings in turn. But there would have been a lot of purple and gold banners laying around the city with nothing to do.

I did not know about the gattaca thing, that seems not really in front of your eyes though but filed under useless trivia.

Well, I work with genetic data every day, so it kind of is. For me, not for everyone else.

PS...the Lakers were originally a Detroit team, though they weren't called the Lakers then. The franchise changed the name when they moved to Minnesota. Why they didn't change their name when they moved to LA is anyone's guess, though they are at least not so badly out of place as the Utah Jazz.

I didn't notice the vitreous floating in my eyes until I was 9 years old.

Unfocus your eyes while staring into bright light, move your eyes around a little, and those specks and strings are suddenly floating in your vision everywhere.

Last edited:
My wife reminds me regularly of all the things I don't notice, so what I lack in longevity, I make up for in quantity.

When I was a kid I always thought the D in walt disney looked like a G and was like why does walt spell his name so weird? I don't think I realized it until I was in my late teens.

I mean they're kinda close?
I thought the Y was a P, and was proud of myself for being smart enough to work out that it was pronounced Dis-nee, not Dis-nep, because I knew what a silent letter was. I think I was about twelve when I realised the truth.

When I came into the topic I read the topic title as what's the longest you've got not seeing someone in front of your eyes, like what's the longest time you've never encountered another human being. @Gori the Grey was saying 33 years and I was like :eek:

That would be sad.

I lived through nine years of a relationship where I didn't realize my domestic situation was really abuse and rape until well after I broke up with him.

I forget how long it took me after watching The Matrix for when someone pointed out to me how "Neo" is an anagram for "One", and my mind was totally blown.

I lived through nine years of a relationship where I didn't realize my domestic situation was really abuse and rape until well after I broke up with him.

I forget how long it took me after watching The Matrix for when someone pointed out to me how "Neo" is an anagram for "One", and my mind was totally blown.
That sucks Mary. I was involved in an abusive relationship myself, but it doesn't sound anywhere near that bad. And I knew she was horrible, I was just stupid enough to think I should stick it out for the good of the kids. Would have been better off leaving with them in the middle of the night. At least you got rid of the creep.

Top Bottom