What's the most annoying thing about Civ1?

Gundus

Chieftain
Yes, we all know Civ1 is the greatest game of all time,
but sometimes you just wish certain things were a little
bit different.

Earlier I got really annoyed when I didn't get to see
the replay, but now I usually manage to fix this one
way or another.
What bugs me most now is the time it takes to finish
some games off. You sit there with a won game, but
you have to collect all the pieces for your Spaceship
and in the meantime you have to manage all your
cities. The last hour is always boring.

What's your biggest pain in the butt?

Stereotyped AI players?
Gambling with the trireme and then it sinks?
That they never made a decent multiplayer version?
The bugs?

i would like civ 1 dos to be multiplayer...

for me the most annoying thing is that. when the goverment is democracy every some turn i have to choose between the goverments. the goverment that i want is democracy and only democracy.

the limitation of units (~128 or less for each tribe/civ).
the game bugs.

One unit can kill an entire stack.

Mistakenly choosing Despotism because I'm hitting enter several times in a row

Losing settlers because of famine

Tenochtitlan said:
Losing settlers because of famine

That's my worse.

trada said:
That's my worse.

Yeah, sometimes you forget that that settler is gobbling up food. Then suddenly your carefully balanced city is starving.. and.. it's goodbye settler! (and basically a waste of 40 shields)

That it runs slow on my laptop.

sotris99 said:
for me the most annoying thing is that. when the goverment is democracy every some turn i have to choose between the goverments. the goverment that i want is democracy and only democracy.

If you have a democratic government but there are cities in civil disorder, they will riot and overthrow the government and you will have to reinstste democracy.

To avoid this, keep your cities out of civil disorder.

Irish Caesar said:
That it runs slow on my laptop.

CivDOS runs perfectly fast on a 286. It is running slow on your laptop because windows or the game has a bug. If you chose No Sounds then the bug kicks in and the game slows down a few thousand percent. Always chose a sound system and then either A) turn off your speakers or B) select no sounds in the game menu during play, not at the configuration menu.

My biggest pet peeve with CivDOS is that one attacker can destroy and entire stack and the toughest defense unit is usually not even the one on top.

The most annoying thing about Civ1? Fortified Zulu phalanxes. I've lost artillery to them before.

Balance of units totally tics me off. How can a phalanx defend against a battleship and destroy your battleship? What are those little dudes packin' anyway? Think about this - phalanx survive but your catapults get eaten. Cannon don't stand a chance but a guy holding a javelin whips an armored naval vessel with guns that can fire miles away. Pretty neat trick I think. But don't cruise around with those little phalanx dudes. They can whip a naval vessel but the first barbarian that comes along kicks the crap outta 'em.

Changing unit values would be the first thing I would do in a mod - among others. I love civdos but you know, that unit thing seems to happen at the most critical time and then you begin playing the world's tiniest violin.

I still love it. Maybe that's why.

CivPartisan

The pollution bug. Just when you start making a really big score, this bug messes the whole thing up.

My most hated 'feature' is the way that other civs who you have a peace treaty with can just keep dumping units from a boat onto your productive squares and then you cant do jack about it without going to war, so if you want to go Republic/Democracy you need to make sure you are at war with everybody first.

I also hate how the number of units is artificially limited.

The number of screens you have to click through when everyone is trying to build spaceships gets very annoying very quickly.

My least favourite bug is the population bug, where if you have a high population the game will crash or get map corruption after the score screen is shown. This limits games to the year 20xx as the score screen is shown at that time. Normally you would get the option to keep playing but due to the map corruption its impossible or impractical.

DBear said:
One unit can kill an entire stack.

That can be prevented. Once you learn Construction, your settler can build a fortress anywhere. Put a stack in there, and they'll just die one at a time.

What annoys me is the fact that the computer can move around in your area and you can't in theirs.

You can sell the palace for money each time you build a city. I couldn't help but do that sometimes.

You had to keep on starting the game over for the 'super continent'. The maps are set. It was the first game so it is understandable.

nova10 said:
What annoys me is the fact that the computer can move around in your area and you can't in theirs.
What do you mean? I haven't seen the computer defy the zone-of-control (where a unit cannot move from next to one of your units to next to one of your units). Do they do this?

No, but they can walk all over your improved tiles.

If you try to step on an irrigated tile of another civilization, your advisor tells you that that will start a war.

Here's what I think:

In peacetime:
The AI players will walk onto your mined and irrigated squares
without hesitation _if your city is not using them_. They will
still be at peace with you when this happens though.

If your city is using that improved square they will not be
so eager about occupying it. But sometimes they do, and then
they're no longer at peace with you and will start
attacking your units (or occupying your undefended cities).

The exception to this is when they come by sea. Then they
just dump their units at a location next to your city and
just sits there pretending nothing happened. This is really
annoying.
After the dump they may also start a parlay. In any case the
peace still holds (unless the parlay results in a declaration of war).

I guess the AI's like to have a unit next to one of your cities
at all times so that they can start a parlay any time they want
to.

Top Bottom