1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the most bug-free climate? Bug-free cities?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fifty, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I know this guy, lets call him Sixty Q Sixtyson. He lives in a hot humid swamp, and he's turning into a complete lunatic about bugs. He not only wages war on them perpetually, but he's starting to feel phantom bugs on his skin that aren't really there. Last night, he thought he saw a bug on the wall and so he jumped out of bed and ran at the wall with a can of raid, only to discover the bug was a complete dream/hallucination in his half-awake state.

He isn't afraid of bugs, eh just finds them icky. He especially hates disgusting scavengers like cockroaches, and bloodsucking creatures like fleas. He doesn't mind a spider every now and then because he figures that they help him destroy other types of bugs and are thus pretty ok.

1) What sort of climate do bugs hate the most, out of the sorts of climates that people actually live in? It seems like it'd be either hot and dry or cold and dry. But I remember reading this thing about this geologist saying that the mosquitos in northern canada were hellish.

2) What do you think is the most bug-free city in America? By city I mean 200,000+ inhabitants.

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Well urban areas themselves tend to have pest control measures for mosquitoes, (plus you aren't best target for miles) so you can in general not worry as much about them in northern areas. You also have the benefit of frost killing everything off.

I'd wager Chicago

3. Theige

Theige American Baron

New York City.

We go crazy every year about the West Nile Virus and spray the crap out of any place that could be good breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Pacific NW is cool and dry. Too far north and the shortness of the season means big spring outbreaks but I'd imagine the rest of the year would be kinda nice

5. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in the Pac NW pretty much my whole life and its pretty bug-free, but I'm wondering if there is more bug-free stuff out there just waiting for me to find it.

6. Arwon

Arwon

Deserty areas. Dry areas. I wonder how Phoenix is? Or some place in the Rockies?

7. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

Quick internet search turned up Colorado Springs, or any place on the Front Range as pretty good on that score. Must be the altitude if true.

Where I'm from, Michigan, is only really bad with mosquitos in parts of summer, and only certain years where stagnant water sticks around long enough to breed them. Otherwise, bugs aren't that bad unless you find roaches in a crappy apartment or like heading out to the small lake at sunset without bug repellant.

Most of the northern half of the US should be significantly improved compared to a swamp to be honest.

8. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Yeah right, you wish.

During summertime the bugs here get really, really, bad (at least IMO).

Even though we do that thing where we spray all the mosquito junk, you still have to worry about all the wasps, and the spiders, and the :ack:

9. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

You in Chicago proper or out in the suburbs?

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Your best bets are probably Antarctica, northern Canada, Siberia, northern Greenland, and maybe Poland.

There are around 1,300 known species of insects in Iceland, according to wikipedia. Apparently that's a very low number. There are also no mosquitoes.

Northern Alaska should work too.

11. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

Bugs and insect rarely fly very high and at places with too much wind. You should consider moving to the coast or to the mountains. Living in a skyscraper helps, too.

12. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I'm in the northern suburbs.

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

They are. Summers are a misery just about everywhere that doesn't have a mosquito-control program. Fortunately, Red Deer does have a good control program and if you take care to avoid swampy areas, stagnant water, or fields and ditches where the grass and underbrush are overgrown, you shouldn't suffer too many bites.

Somebody once told me that Manitoba is the worst province for mosquitoes, considering the huge number of lakes there are, and how far it is between urban centers that have control programs.

Not according to one particular episode of "Northern Exposure." :p

Fifty, if you want to avoid mosquitoes this time of year, go to Antarctica. It's sub-zero there, very little light, but if you're willing to huddle in with the penguins and incubate an egg on top of your feet, you should survive okay. :lol:

14. Love

Love Deity

Actually, I could imagine it being loads of mosquitoes there in the summer.

In northern Sweden, which has a comparable climate as Iceland there's trillions of mosquitoes, and at some places you can't go out without being covered with repellent.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

What's the range of mosquitos, from their breeding grounds?

I've generally not found mosquitos to be a problem unless I'm specifically nearby forests or swamps.

16. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

I too welcome our insect overlords!

17. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

Your friend could try Longyearbyen on Svalbard. I was there one summer and there were no insects at all up there as far as I could see.

18. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Does not apply in Australia. In one memorable sitting my sandwich was accompanied by a number of flies in Alice Springs.

19. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

I'd say tell your friend to lay off the acid.

20. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Prince

central europe.