1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the point in playing without war?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Vague, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Vague

Vague Chieftain

I mean come on, what IS THE POINT? i'd say about 70% of all things in Civ 3 are military units, and if you do play without war then what exactly are you supposed to do?..After about 20 rounds on a huge map all the land is occupied and borders are made, so theres no point in exploring to settle in different areas..Which only leaves culture, which basically involves you just sitting there and choosing to build a temple then a libary then a collosseum and so on..Is that what some of you ppl do who dont fight? just sit there clicking next round next round next round after deciding to build some cheesy improvement..that to me is NOT fun!

2. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

I, as a young white american male, feel the need at all times to blow the living hell out of my enemy. its just kinda how I am :)

but i'm sure there are people who find cultural victories challanging and fun!

3. Mikeweather

Mikeweather Chieftain

One of the quickest ways to win a cultural victory is by blowing up your closest competitor's cultural improvements. I particularly like sacking cities with wonders :)

4. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Oh com'on any loser can go and build alot of units and take over the world. But it takes true talent to send 10,000 people to Alpha Centuari or win Diplomaticaly or even culturaly!

5. PJPeter

PJPeter Chieftain

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. The first game I ever played in Civ 3 was on Warlord and, though my power was lower than almots any other civs, I had more culture than 5 of the 7 other competitors put together. Was taking over cities like mad. Granted I was Greeks which are great culture getters, but I mean...I don't just play to kill stuff. No challenge there. I don't really have problems with the AIs. Just build a couple hoplites per city. Work better than rifleman at defense, much better (the ancient vs. modern mil bug).

I just can't see myself playing for war. But good luck killing everyone if that whats strikes your fancy.

Peter

6. puwen

puwen Me? just lurking

Umm....to have fun maybe?
    Sure its fun to unleach your military hoards once in awhile, but it's also fun to play without war.

Another point is to learn the game, if you are able to win a game without a war I think you will be more versatile.

Might be helpful when MP comes :crazyeyes

7. Vague

Vague Chieftain

What??? Ok please tell me what you actually DO in the game if not military wise??.. you dont move units, you dont gain a power base you dont actually do anything!!..apart from pull down the improvement window every so many turns to choose a different libary or hospital!!..and that IS ALL you can do if you dont make war..and how you can call that "fun" ROFL sad as fluck and no mistake.

Well is anyone gonna tell me what they do if not militray? and i mean LITERALLY what you do. Because apart from what i have just mentioned there is nothing else.

8. sirganjalot

sirganjalot Chieftain

I just wanted to say that I've noticed that a lot of people are complaining about the game and it hasn't really been out that long. So what if there are some problems with the game? They wanted to get it out before Christmas. That's understandable. Wait until Civ3 has been out for about three or four months. Everything will be cool again.

9. God

God God

In the harder difficulties i found that my opponents had larger military than me. And i didn't want to ruin my reputation or my population to go and war against one of them.

Although its alot of fun to become big friends with several other civs, and when another civ comes and pisses you off, you can send your friends to waste them.
    :crazyeyes

10. puwen

puwen Me? just lurking

Well I manage my own empire, trying to get as good trade deals as possible.

And ofcourse as God mentions, trying to use politicts to get the AI bully at eachother.

Im moving alot of units even if im not waging a war. What about the workers, if you put them on automate they are not 100% efficent.

Im not saying that im not making war at all, se my last post, but i still feel its fun to try to manage my empire as efficent as posibble.

11. Cyrai

Cyrai Guy

I really don't know why it's so much fun playing just at building up my empire, but it is. Culture is as much a representation of power and influence as military might. Building the Colossus, a 100 foot bronze statue in the very early BCs would be quite a feat for any empire. Educating nearly every citizen in your empire while most of the neighboring civs lives in huts is rather fun. Have you never watched any of the documentaries in school about ancient civilizations? They often refer to how advanced a nation was by how many temples and statues they had. And can you say that it's not impressive to be able to have size 16 cities in which every single citizen is happy? I've done it. I've run 50 turn wars under a democracy with only a few instances of a city being in disorder. By the end of the game, I had 4 of the 5 best cities in the world.

12. Vague

Vague Chieftain

Ok well that takes literally 5 seconds and lasts over 20 turns..

Ermm well thats not possible without going to war, you can only bully other races by signing treatys agaisnt them, but to sign a treay against someone requires that you also do it.

LOL like that takes any time, you can only build a road and a mine/irrigation on any particular square. Again nothing thats fun.

13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

I enjoy both war and peace. I find it facinating to build my empire, and a military conquest is the best indication of how well I have done in peace.

14. puwen

puwen Me? just lurking

With that you assume everyone think as you do.

If you can't understand other people think differently I have nothing more to add........

15. Furry Spatula

Furry Spatula ...

Well you can always pull a phoney war. Get your friend to fight him and just sit your ass down and keep your cities growing culturaly not militaristicaly like everyone else :lol:. The only real offensive unit you realy need is the good old nuke :nuke:. But as someone stated. Different Strokes for Different Folks.

16. scavenger

scavenger Warlord

juts because YOU don't think its fun doesn't mean it can't be fun for ANYONE...

17. Sam_Catchem

Sam_Catchem Prince

I like wars early..and then peace. It all depends on the situation. Sometimes the AI makes the decisions for you.;)

18. Vague

Vague Chieftain

Oh for heaven sake its like the dumb leading the dumb!!.. What i am trying to get through to you ppl is this..if you dont make war in the game then you dont DO ANYTHING, if you call choosing ivory for trade every 20 rounds, and pulling down the city improvements box every few turns "fun" (or actually playing the game for that matter) then there is something drastically wrong with you, because you arnt actually doing ANYTHING, mearly watching a program slowly get better improvements..like watching a chess board without actually moving the pieces..i.e Useless.

Of Course if you would like to tell me what you actually do do then (do not include anything war like or anything i have stated above) then please do show me? But you wont/cant because what i am saying is right.

19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

Please take a second to realize you are only seeing things from one point of view.

As I stated in my previous response, I like BOTH peace and war. From your messages, I assume I don't need to explain why war is interesting, so let me explain peace:

1st, there are lots of units to move around. Peace does not mean that I don't have a military. I spend lots of time maximizing the effectiveness of my defensive preperations, so that enemy armies would be easily slaughtered if they attacked. Additionally, I have many workers running around, and I try to come up with the most efficient ways of improving my empire.

2nd, there are concrete goals I strive for:
    - Having all 5 of the top 5 cities
    - Building all of the wonders
    - Having the highest literacy rate
    - Being the most scientifically advanced civ
    - Having the longest average lifespan
    - Having the most culture
    - Making the most money
    These are hard to achieve on the higher levels of difficulty. There are many ways to make things run just a little bit faster or more efficiently.

Maybe you wouldn't find this fun, I do. Maybe that's why I'm a Civil Engineer.

20. civfanatic41

civfanatic41 Chieftain

that was funny Vague (dumb leading the dumb!!.. ) I agree,I find myself asking the same question what's the fun of this repetitive city building